Michael Carbajal - Ricardo Lopez @108

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Registered, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Two little guys who could crack big.

Who do you have and why? B)

2. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

Carbajal was more of a pure puncher, but Lopez was better overall.

3. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    Lopez: I could punt 45 yards
    CAarbajal: Only 44.9

Lopez was therefore better and would win.

4. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    I'd lean towards Lopez but I wouldn't be sure handed in this pick, Carbajal had fight changing power.

5. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    It's hard to gauge. Ricardo didn't move up until the end of his career. So if we're talking about THAT version of Lopez against any version of Carbajal, I'd have to pick Carbajal.

Had Ricardo moved up a few years earlier, I'd probably pick him. But that said, it will forever be asked why in fact he never did move up, especially when King at one point had Carbajal under contract.

6. Free Ike

None
    Because testicle size is directly related to stature.

LMAO at you guys that think these pigmys are real men. Jake you have seen Lopez right? The guy looks like an escaped jockey.

7. Jake

Home Page:
    Lopez was bigger than most of the other escaped jockeys, though.

Chiquita on the other hand...

8. Free Ike

None
    Fuck Lopez. After he was hanging out in the office. I thought I was a superman. I was like wow, if that midget is a pro fighter I must be superman. Suddenly, I felt I could move buildings, I could fuck women by simply pointing at my penis, life was good for about an hour. Then, I nearly got killed when an athletic 6 foot 7 guy didn't buy into my logic.

Thus began my midget hate.

9. Rubio MHS

You really think that three pounds makes that much of a difference, Jake?

10. Jake

Home Page:
    No, I don't. That's why I said I'd pick him if he moved up in the mid-90's, even if only for 1 fight.

I'm just wondering why the fight was never made, or why he never moved up since there were more lucrative fights at 108. He and Chiquita were stablemates; surely he knew enough about Carbajal to where he'd want that type of payday and fame.

11. crold1

crold1 Leap-Amateur

Public Relations
    Home Page:
    Jake:
    Take it for what its worth but I've talked to people close to King and outside that circle who would know who swear that Lopez-Carbajal didn't happen because of Lopez. To be specific, because of Beristain. Carb allegedly signed a contract and Lopez was offered in the range of high six figures to a mill (very believable considering the TV money they could have got from japan...Lopez was a star there while the US ignored him). To hear it toldf (and this is all heresay), Lopez and co. saw Carb as the risk to his financial security people assume Lopez was to theirs because of his standing and economic clout overseas. He didn't even fight in Asia that much but his stuff was all replayed to some fan fare.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  12. Jake

Home Page:
    I can believe it, but what I never understood is why Nacho would protect Ricardo, but not Chiquita. The sad part about Chiquita is that he's still best remembered for his knockout losses, but what gets lost is that HE won 2 outta 3, and even in the loss dominated the fight before getting caught in the 7th (not unlike his career-ending defeat to Sor Jarturang).

Shit, Chiquita made more in those three fights than he did in the rest of his career combined. Plus, if what you say is true, then I can't see how they can justify staying put, all while claiming a career-high payday of $100,000 in the Alvarez rematch.

Then again, it is Nacho we're talking about.

13. Rubio MHS

"High six figures"? Bullshit. Where'd you hear this ridiculous rumor?

Jake mentions that his $100,000 payday was a career high for him. Do you know what his previous career high was? $50,000 in the first Alvarez match, his previous fight! You can't walk around making $20,000 a fight and turn down a high six-figure contract. An interesting story about the first Alvarez fight (on the undercard of Chavez-Gonzales) is that Christy Martin was supposed to fight on the undercard, but her fight was cancelled, supposedly because the commission didn't allow female boxing. The real story is that Martin refused to fight because she was "only" making a few hundred Gs for the fight, compared to Lopez's 50K.

14. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Lopez had a pussy-foot career. Plain and simple.

15. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    A little bit over-simplified, but there is definitley some real truth to that viewpoint.

He did look good doing it, though, for what it's worth

16. Rubio MHS

Money was a really big issue, too. Mr. Rold mentioned a supposed million-dollar payday for Lopez, but I doubt he was offered more than $100,000 for any fight he had before his matches with Alvarez.

17. crold1

crold1 Leap-Amateur

Public Relations
    Home Page:
    Zac:
    I donb't doubt that there might be some fiction involved. I've seen no documents and admit its all heresay...BUT, it cam up out of the blue when I said something off hand to someone that it was too bad Lopez didn't get a bigger stage. The "Nacho is a business idiot and always has been" thing runs deep with a lot of people. I was talking to another writer recently and he mentioned that he thinks (and its worth pondering) that some fighters get obsessed with their "0" to the point of near paranoia because they see their financial rewards completely attached to their record. Roy, Floyd, and Lopez all came up as potential exmaples of this.

This much I know. Lopez couldn't have fought Carbajal for less than a career high. The eceonomic difference between Alvarez and Carbajal is that big. I can take the numbers expressed with a grain of salt and still except that the Lopez camp didn't take a good deal. Just my two cents. :)

18. ghoster

ghoster Leap-Amateur

Home Page:
    Carbajal was a very strong fighter, earlier in his career he used he skills and ability. He developed confidence in his strength as he went on. Lopez said he didn't want Carbajal, but he wanted Humberto Gonzalez. Gonzalez didn't want anything to do with King though. So these superfights never materialized. But many say this "Lopez" factor" is why Carbajal never got a decision against Gonzalez.

I was ringside when Carbajal beat Kittikasem for his first belt.