My routine

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by dsimon3387, Dec 5, 2008.

1. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

Hey guys I have not posted in this area but thought I might share a bit about how my routine has changed over the years. I find that as I get older I need more cardio stuff. I try to integrate the strength and cardio stuff to get a synergistic effect. Has this switch been succesful? Well to me it has because my routine lets me do my martial arts stuff without getting injured. Could I be in better shape if I did things a bit different? probably. But my routine has allowed me to not break... so here it is:

3 days a week I do rowing with just the arms at the highest level for 4-5 minutes.

Then I immediately jump on the stepping machine (used to be the bike) for 20-30 minutes. I do this at a high level of intensity so that I am breathing hard and heartrate is up to 160 bpm.... thats with blood pressure meds so my heart ratre should theoretically be higher.

Then I do heavybag work hitting nonstop for as long as I can to burn out totally... usually about 2 minutes on cardio days.

2 days a week I do pushups, chest press, about five types of stomach exerscizes. I do a lot of bending situps from ackward positions to help grappling work and to build strength throughout the thoracic cavity. then i go to the stomach machine to support my neck otherwise I find when my tummy is getting tired I will strain my neck to do more situps.

Chest press is one set of 8-12 so that the last few are killers... I hate this exerscize... I then will do an incline or shoulder press the same way.

Push ups are about 50 one set and another few sets so that I bust out about 100 total... yes thats it! Ihave a shitty chest.

Then I use the bag again to burn out... I hit it with as much force as I can as long as I can.

I teach martial arts 2 days a week and practice my astuff when I do my routines and on the other two days... When I practice I do weapons work with a weighted stick 9,12 and eighteen, and I hit the bag without gloves and with kicks. Then i do movements and falling exerscizes. I also practice moving from a kneeling position and falling skills.

I practice everyday because you need to as you get older and I enjoy it. And... I would rather do two months on and take a month off now and then.... rather than just alternate days during the week... just my preference. I find that I retain my conditioning even if I gain a few pounds and can't train for a month.

The bag work is great... It is the best exerscize that I have found to combine aerobic and anarobic activity and to keep the cardio honest. But you can't box the bag!! I mean you can if you are boxing:lol: but for conditioning try to just hit it as hard and with good form as you can for as long as you can.

2. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Looks like you need to do some rotator cuff exercises to balance out the striking and upper body pressing movements. A little work on the rotator cuffs will save you from having to rehab a torn shoulder. Just something to think about.

3. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Next time you do this, think about Caligula. You'll not only hit the bag harder but more frequently and for a longer period of time.
    By the end of the session, you'll be feeling more Alive than you've ever felt before!

4. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

:bears: good stuff man..

5. dsimon3387

dsimon writes:

I usually just get twisted like a pretzel for that. Your right because I do get some shoulder aches occasionally especially when I do not get twisted

6. dsimon3387

thanks! :lol:

7. LOK

I just got a new ab/hyper bench.. I love it

I start everyday with situps/crunches and Hyperextensions.. soon as I get out of bed I work my core.
    I heard something like 80% of back pain is due to people haveing weak cores if you back and stomach is strong.. you feel better, no pain and live longer!

8. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Dead Lifts usually help the back. If your back can lift up a 450lb barbell, what back problems could you ever have in life?

9. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    I started to do about 500 situps a day, sometimes a 1000. My back feels alot better. I still have never been close to regaining my athletic ability, but I basically. didn't excercise from 1990-2001.:lol::lol:I believe that though.

10. dsimon3387

dsimon writes:

No doubt about it the core is the most important. I have always worked the stomach and I have never gotten back problems. I remember doing things like hauling a fridge up the steps, etc and never having a problem.

11. LOK

awesome Ike..

I been doing... a couple hundred situps and or crunches each morning and a hundred or so hypers

12. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Bulging discs and increased chances of a hernia or hiatus.

13. LOK

Hanzy if you do those 450lb deadlifts but do no hypers, stiff legged dead lifts and ab work.. your core is a weak bitch and will get it's asshole eaten alive

14. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    The hyperextension bench is a great idea. For some reason, perhaps the range of motion, hyerextensions hit many of the muscles in the mid-area of the back that deadlifts don't hit. Don't get me wrong...for the strength in the erector spinae, the deadlift is king in my books, but the hyperextensions hit some smaller muscles that usually get overwhelmed by the strength that the deadlift demands.

My physiotherapist explained that to me when I injured my back last year. There are little weird exercises that target the much smaller back muscles more effectively. :dunno:

15. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Isn't this enough exercise for you dsimon?

[​IMG]

16. dsimon3387

dsimon writes:

:lol: