Running

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by TKO, Aug 26, 2008.

1. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

Ive just started back training, I'm running at 6 in morning before work.

Starting of with a mile, how far should I be running in a few weeks?

2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Ive always preferred setting a set distance like a mile and then progressively trying to beat my time. Way more effective and fun!:hammert: Then once you run a mile in a time your happy with, say 6 minutes, or whatever your target is, you could add distance a little at a time, if you wanted, while trying to maintain the pace. No point working up to running 5 miles if your doing it at an old granny pace, IMO.

3. TKO

Yeah I was thinking along those lines, plus I start work at 7 so need to get home showered and out the door asap.

I ran it this morning in about 12 mins. Obviously a slow pace but I was happy enough considering I was injured for so long. I would be confident in cutting that in half in no time.

4. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

I gotta agree..

start with the mile.. do it faster and faster..

intensity is better than distance for sure

5. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Yeah, start off easy. It all depends on your bodytype, height, and such. I'm 5ft7 with relatively short legs, so I'm not likely to set any world records. I will, however, improve a great deal if I keep it up. A mile is good to start off with. That's almost a walking pace that you're doing.

What's your height, weight, etc etc?

6. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Who gives a sh*t??!?!?! Don't worry about no stupid intensity and improvements. What you need to worry about is CONTINUING to get the f*ck up at 6am in the morning to do this sh*t, even if it's half a mile or just walking a mile.
    The fact that your body is working and functioning to the point of being able to get up early and do a run will become a reward in itself as you feel better.
    The one problem you'll run into is how long you'll be able to keep this up. Most people quit after a while from injuries, laziness, lack of results, etc.
    You should just try doing this maybe two times a week at best. Why try to start off at the top? Why try to worry so soon about how many miles and sh*t you can run when you haven't really done sh*t for most of your life?
    And furthermore, what makes you think you're going to be able to continue waking up at 6am to do this sh*t if you don't have any real goal in mind.
    If you want to motivate yourself and strive to acheive something, don't try going straight to the top with all the intensity and increased miles so quickly. Just try repeating this early morning walk/run for maybe once or twice a week and then let it progress from there.
    Don't go taking advice from LOK or Buddy. They have their own reasons for doing the sh*t they do. You worry about yourself and how you want to do things. Don't take their advice about increasing your workload because you've been injured and all that's gonna happen is you'll just aggravate your injuries and you'll quit.
    If you want to acheive a goal or find motivation to keep this up, pick up a muscle/fitness magazine and strive to look like somebody in there, or get your wife to promise you that she'll suck your dick for every 3lbs you lose.
    She'll probably do it anyway but abstince may work better in this case.:lol:

7. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Hanzy,
    He was asking for advice. :dunno:

Seeing as how you don't run, you shouldn't be trying to give advice. Furthermore, LOK and I are hardly elite athletes, so he may get some benefit from our experience. If he wants advice on how to eat Big Macs one-handed on the couch or create photoshops, he can come to you. If he wants to work out, he can easily come to us. There's nothing wrong with him wanting to get advice and set goals.[​IMG]

8. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Why pass judgement? I DO run. Begrudgingly, I run. 30 minutes treadmill, and 4000m on the Rowing Machine. I don't get off the Rowing Machine until I've done 4000m.
    Now stick that in your pipe and smoke it!:flip:

9. LOK

LOL
    the one thing I will agree with here is not to start too fast..

most people start fast give up fast..

you know.. I smoked years ago... I smoked for 10 years..

one day I decided I didn't want to anymore and started running.. I never smoked again

I tell people that the easy way to give up smoking is to take up running cuz you can't do both really..

trouble is 95% of people will quit running not quit smoking..

if you REALLY REALLY want it.. it's easy..

10. LOK

come on Buddy.. don't sell us short..

We ARE Elite:hammert:

11. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

BS! Elite athletes play pro sports and WIN!!!! You gotta do more than just posting on here and working in IT, baby!!!! Although you are an ELITE poster!
    :partie:

12. LOK

:atu:

Hanzy.. Im as elite as you'll ever see baby

I hope we meet one day and i'll let you rub my rippling abs :kidcool:

13. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Post a pic of your abs.

14. TKO

Thanks for the advice guys

and for Hanz,

I do have a goal and I have not been sitting on my ass all my life. I've been playing sports all my life. I injured my pelvis about a year ago that resulted in ligament and muscle strain all down my left leg making it painful to even sit.

Now I want to get myself back in shape hockey season starts in 2 months.

I asked for advice on running as I never ran before and wanted to make sure I wasn't over doing it.

My time was pretty slow but Ill be happy at that speed for the first 4-5 sessions. Getting up that early does work your body well.

15. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I hear ya about the hockey. I will be playing floor hockey once a week and we don't have subs, so we run back and forth for over an hour. That requires cardio, specifically windsprints. I am getting them done.

Also today I ran 10k. Not bad for an old man. :lol:

16. TKO

Good work gramps :lol:

Yeah I'm playing ice hockey, I was back on the ice for the first time last week. Lets just say I have a long way to go before the league starts.

17. LOK

yeah.. Listen to the 5 foot 300lb guy who lives on McDonalds:laughing:

18. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

McDonald's is the source of my power! That's why I've never been sick or had an injury. My back is strong, no problems there. My knees are made of steel, no problems there either. All the while, I laugh at my family who all do their exercise and following healthy diets and sh*t and still get sick while I'm chomping on a cheese burger and laughing.
    You should see my old man. He's about 5'8 155lbs. He gets up at 7am every morning and runs 2 laps around the lake. Then comes home and drinks a big cup of that fruit-drink stuff that he makes in the blender. And he STILL gets sick. What a bitch! :lol: They ain't rock solid tough like me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  19. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

LOK, isn't your body failing you too? I heard you got a seriously jacked up knee and back. Isn't your jacked up knee the reason you had to pull out of giving Royce Gracie a beatdown some years ago?

20. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

You don't need to be running 10K and doing windsprints just to play floor hockey, dumbo. All you gotta do is just keep playing floor hockey and the stamina and sh*t will come itself. :lol:
    Besides, who gives a crap about Floor Hockey? :laughing: Bitch sport!

21. LOK

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

F no my body is not failing!! lol

I am 34 years old and in better shape than I've been in my life

22. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

What about your knees and back? You were saying on here a little while back that your back gave you trouble which is why you could't do more back strengthning exercises like deadlifts, etc? And that your knee was hurting.

23. LOK

when is "a little while ago" ?

I jacked up my back years ago.. YEARS ago.. ,but it is fine now.. my knees are in great shape

I do believe that heavy leg extensions put too much pressure on the knee.. I would not do them and heavy ass deadlifting probably not real good either IMO

24. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Deadlifting is a whole body exercise but mostly a great back strengthener. It's a good exercise for people who do a lot of lifting like at UPS or furniture movers. I read in Muscle & Fitness that it's the core exercise for strength training. Really kills. Buddy and I both do it. Buddy can do over 500lbs which is wicked!

25. LOK

I hear you Hanzy.. I just personally don't like it
    it no doubt is a core.. along with heavy squats which I no longer do either

26. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

What's the most weight you've ever lifted off the ground LOK in any position?

27. LOK

probably squats -585?

28. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Hanzy, when I need advice on a pie-eating contest, you may post. Until then, do not post when the rest of us, who actually exercise, are discussing exercise matters. Heed your betters and pay homage.

And actually a lot of people would say that windsprints and shuttleruns are great for hockey.

AND I know I don't NEED to run 10k. I want to be able to, and quickly. If I only did what I had to do, I would never run. :kick:

29. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    Not true. The most I ever deadlifted was 425 for 6. I never got close to 500.

30. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    I've stood up with 705 in the rack, but I only moved it a few about 6 inches...also known as three Hanzy dick-lengths. :lol: