So, getting in shape for the Tough Mudder

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Black Market Baby, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Black Market Baby

Black Market Baby International Degenerate

I entered the Tough Mudder event in my area. www.toughmudder.com
    Basically, it's a 10-12 mile run with obstacles like freezing cold swims, 12 ft walls, mud pits, electrocution, carrying logs etc. They suggest 5 miles comfortable continuous run but I'm shooting for 8. So, instead of starting to train a month before the event, I started last Sunday to get ahead of the game. Some background, In high school I ran short distance, swam, played soccer and football (only a kicker lol). I swam and rode bikes through college, then that was it. I know my problem is endurance.

Here is my situation, I think I'll be better 10 lbs lighter. I've always felt more comfortable at 157-162. It's probably mental.

I started running Sunday. All my running has not been continuous although I limit my break to 30 - 45 seconds walking. I've noticed that today was better than yesterday etc. I plan to take off Mondays and Thursdays from running but this week was a bit different. All outdoor running, some trails, and since I live on a large hill I always have an uphill run (about 3/10's of a mile on one side and 1/4 of a mile the other although much steeper).

2.1 miles Sunday (3 breaks)
    1.1 Monday (1 break)
    1.4 Wednesday (1 break)
    1.7 Thursday (2 short breaks)

So what kind of other training should I do? I've been cycling (indoor) every other day and Monday and Wednesday I've been lifting on my shitty Weider Workstation - Military Press, Bench, Leg Press, Leg Curls, as well as push ups and situps. I'm not really worried with the strength portion, I've always been proportionately strong relative to my size/weight. If I get to 155 I think I'll be ok.

I've got until September to get in shape and I feel I've left my 41 year old body with enough time to do it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Squats are always a good idea as are calf exercises. Strong calves mean a strong pushoff. Basically you should do exercises that emulate the types of obstacles you need to get past; however, I do not include electrocution in that training. :)

What kind of setup do you have?

3. Black Market Baby

Black Market Baby International Degenerate

Dude, my calves and quads are in excellent condition, always have been. I walk a lot for my job and probably do about 30 - 40 flights of stairs a day, not to mention 20 ladder climbs or so. My legs aren't flabby and have good definition.

I have a Weider 4920. Very Similar to this one.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.trainersecrets.com/home_gym/weider/weider_166_ST.htm

I've already planned out that I'm going to walk through the electrocution part instead of running like all the people in the videos I've watched. It will be so impressive that even that Hard As Fuck Steve_Dave will be impressed.