Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Panchyprsss, May 17, 2020.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

CBS All Access and Paramount announced the green light of production on the spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds focusing on the adventures aboard the Enterprise at the helm of Captain Christopher Pike (Ethan Peck), science officer Spock (Anson Mount) and Number One (Rebecca Romijn). This trio was featured in two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery and received the biggest fan approval of that series so it was logical to give this a go. I am on the fence here as I always wanted to see a series on the character of Christopher Pike, Spock and female Number One since it was the original concept Gene Roddenberry created in the pilot episode The Cage. But then this is from the same lunatics who have destroyed Discovery & Picard with in-your-face identity politics so probably it will be as worst than those two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

3. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Spock looks like a fag (in a positive way)(post not ment to be offensive).

4. Panchyprsss

Oh, come on now! You don't need to be an apologizing snowflake here: this is fightbeat!

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious WBC Champion

This isn’t the original Star Trek.

6. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

One sniff that it’s like Discovery or Picard then it can fuck off too.

7. Panchyprsss

NO SHIT!!!

8. Panchyprsss

Chances are it will start okay and almost immediately after will go down the drain.

9. Panchyprsss

It took two years, but its finally here. While it is visually amazing unfortunately it has identity politics all over the place. Even in one episode a character states that the January 06 2021 Capitol riots was the event that ignited World War III. :HN: This is more shit like Star Trek Discovery that casted that amazing actress, Stacey Abrams, as Earth's President. MFB:rolleye:
    [​IMG]

10. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I read that this ST is supposed to go back to the original show’s roots where exploring and discovering new worlds is the main focus. I’m not a big Trek fan as the only one I ever consistently followed was the Next Generation and even then I only got drawn in because I thought Worf, Data and Jordy’s glasses were kinda cool/interesting.

Going off what I read, if the reviews are good I might actually check this version out. As long as the story is good, I can give a fuck about identity politics and the only people who do care are probably the ones who lean one way or another. These people are so full of hatred and divisiveness they can’t even enjoy a tv show or movie without worrying about the director, writer or casting directors motivations.

11. Panchyprsss

You might think differently if part of the narrative was that the Trump doctrine was the turning point for ushering mankind's progress towards making planetary exploration a reality and that Ted Cruz having a cameo role as the President of the United Federation of Planets. All this within the context that there's only two biological genders and early 21st century racism was just political propaganda. Fine and dandy, right?

12. lb 4 lb

No I wouldn’t think differently, because it’s a fictional story. I can give a fuck if some guy used his political views to write a movie, or show from that point of view. All I ask is that it be entertaining.

I don’t like that they used some reality from our universe to tie into Star Trek but that’s such a minor inconvenience of bother that it’s not even worth mentioning. Entertain me! That’s all I ask.

13. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Hang on. I’ve not watched this but wasn’t the downfall of humanity in Trek the Eugenics war? Khan and all that? They really swapped that out for the Capitol shit?

14. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Not if it fucks with existing canon. If this alternate timeline shit then that’s fine.

lb 4 lb likes this.
  15. Panchyprsss

It is a mixed-up timeline with horny Vulcans and a bi-sexual Kirk, but I do appreciate they mentioned the Eugenic Wars, the insurrection lead by Khan Noonien Singh. Maybe they will explore that in future episodes?
    [​IMG]

16. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

So I’m still not missing anything by skipping new trek. I’ll watch DS9 again I think.

17. Panchyprsss

DS9 was good, but not great like TNG or classic Trek. Everything else after DS9 has been crap.

18. Panchyprsss

The first episode is available (temporarily) on youtube if you want to check it out for free.

Like I said before, it has amazing visuals and its the most gorgeous looking Star Trek ever. The main actor does a decent job with the thin material he is given. I still have problems with this show's Spock, though. He was introduced in ST: Discovery as a gay Vulcan, but here he is straight and was about to do 'the nasty' with his Vulcan fiancé? :fP2:(something nothing short of a sacrilege from the original Star Trek canon). Oh, I need to point out that the Vulcan fiancé bears the same name and resemblance to TOST from the episode Amok Time, which was a nice Easter egg for old Trek fans, but then gets immediately destroyed by her next actions. Obviously this is not the Nimoy/Spock timeline as it makes the whole premise of Amok Time pointless. Plus the actor seems to forgets that Vulcans should not smile. Most of the time this Spock seems less intelligent than other crew members, which is another no-no.

About this episode's plot...it was mainly mix-mash of premises from episodes from TOS, TNG and DS9 about the impact of first contact on an alien civilization that resembles too much our modern society. Wow, how original! Oh, well, the first season of TNG was almost unwatchable as each episode kept ripping-off TOS, but then it eventually came to its own and became a fantastic series so maybe this can happen here too...crossing my fingers.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  19. lb 4 lb

I doubt it’ll get better. The reason is there’s too many agendas in writing, storylines, casting and personnel selection in other sectors. There’s too many people trying to pander to someone that nobody can stick to a coherent story or plan and even if they do decide on something, all it will take is a few butt-hurt individuals to put up a stink and cause the brass to sabotage the whole production.