The difference between boxing and MMA

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by ArturoGatti, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I notice that in boxing, if a fighter losses, especially by KO, he's written off and gets a "overrated" or "bum" label.

In MMA, most of the good fighters are still held in high regard, even if they loose by getting brutally KO'd in the first round. Most of the great fighetrs have multiple losses on their records.

For example Wanderlei Silva got starched in 30 seconds by Vitor Belfort but is now considered one of the best MMA fighters in the world. If he was a boxer and got KO'd in 30 seconds he would have been a laughing stock.

Also, if a fighter taps out in MMA, he's not labeled a quitter, while in boxing, if a fighter quits in a fight, it leaves a long lasting mark on his career and reputation.

Why do you think this is?

2. NeighborMike

NeighborMike Senior Member

Home Page:
    well...see what your missing is wandy got stretched yes....

but then he went undefeated for something close to 6 or 7 years while beating alot of top calibur guys...

u dont see many boxers getting ko'd then turning their carear around by going undefeated for 7 years while beating top guys along the way

3. cpa5oh

cpa5oh Leap-Amateur

In what little of MMA I've watched so far the difference is that I've paid $35 for one PPV of the UFC and came away feeling like I got my money's worth whereas with boxing I never really feel that way.

Cards seem deeper. Fights have more of a sense of desperation. I'm anxious to see if I find future events as exciting as the ones I've seen recently.

4. Gsus

Gsus Scrub

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>well...see what your missing is wandy got stretched yes....

but then he went undefeated for something close to 6 or 7 years while beating alot of top calibur guys...

u dont see many boxers getting ko'd then turning their carear around by going undefeated for 7 years while beating top guys along the way
    <div align="right">[post=22802]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    Jawny Ruiz

5. cpa5oh

cpa5oh Leap-Amateur

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Jawny Ruiz
    <div align="right">[post=22833]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Got beat by Roy Jones.

6. NeighborMike

NeighborMike Senior Member

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>In what little of MMA I've watched so far the difference is that I've paid $35 for one PPV of the UFC and came away feeling like I got my money's worth whereas with boxing I never really feel that way.

Cards seem deeper. Fights have more of a sense of desperation. I'm anxious to see if I find future events as exciting as the ones I've seen recently.
    <div align="right">[post=22831]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

if u think that was exciting u are in for some excitement :biggthumbup:

7. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>In what little of MMA I've watched so far the difference is that I've paid $35 for one PPV of the UFC and came away feeling like I got my money's worth whereas with boxing I never really feel that way.

<div align="right">[post=22831]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    Do you like Chuck Liddell?

He's my favourite MMA fighter, even though I've never seen him fight. :D

8. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Got beat by Roy Jones.
    <div align="right">[post=22835]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

And then went on to beat everyone else since then.

9. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>And then went on to beat everyone else since then.
    <div align="right">[post=22859]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Which truthfully enhances Roy's legacy. And that's no joke, Orion. :biggthumbup:
    He whipped the guy who's whipping everybody around, today. And Roy was just a blown up middleweight. Although Toney has a chance to do the same on april 30.

10. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Which truthfully enhances Roy's legacy. And that's no joke, Orion. :biggthumbup:
    He whipped the guy who's whipping everybody around, today. And Roy was just a blown up middleweight. Although Toney has a chance to do the same on april 30.
    <div align="right">[post=22869]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

We won't really get into it, but Ruiz was an idiot on the night he fought Jones, between Nady and his own mental issues, he lost the fight more than Roy won the fight.

11. I have another difference.....

Boxing is way fucking better.

12. Hanzy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>We won't really get into it, but Ruiz was an idiot on the night he fought Jones, between Nady and his own mental issues, he lost the fight more than Roy won the fight.
    <div align="right">[post=22874]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Hardly bro. The fight was an 'outside' fight for the entire 12 rounds. Ruiz is and never was an 'outside' fighter. That's why he needs to rush and lunge in to do his work which leads to hugging. The few times he tried this, Roy did little backsteps followed by huge left hooks, several which knocked pounds of sweat off Ruiz's head and 1 shot in particular which rebroke Ruiz's nose(Holyfield broke it first).
    You're giving far too much credit to Ruiz. He lost because he's a far inferior boxer. If you want to make it a streetfight then Ruiz wins. But that's not what boxing is. Ruiz wasn't an idiot, he was outclassed.

13. Hanzy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I have another difference.....

Boxing is way fucking better.
    <div align="right">[post=22877]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

only when Ruiz isn't fighting.

14. cpa5oh

cpa5oh Leap-Amateur

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>And then went on to beat everyone else since then.
    <div align="right">[post=22859]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Which still doesn't qualify him as having gotten "stretched...then gone on to be undefeated for 6 or 7 years."

15. cpa5oh

cpa5oh Leap-Amateur

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Do you like Chuck Liddell?

He's my favourite MMA fighter, even though I've never seen him fight. :D
    <div align="right">[post=22856]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

I do like him...I don't really see how anyone could not like him. Came over as a real good guy throughout The Ultimate Fighter and it seems as though he's fought his way to the title by beating top UFC guys (I don't know that firsthand of course.)

16. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Which still doesn't qualify him as having gotten "stretched...then gone on to be undefeated for 6 or 7 years."
    <div align="right">[post=22885]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure the point that he was trying to make is that he's not been beaten since then.

17. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Hardly bro. The fight was an 'outside' fight for the entire 12 rounds. Ruiz is and never was an 'outside' fighter. That's why he needs to rush and lunge in to do his work which leads to hugging. The few times he tried this, Roy did little backsteps followed by huge left hooks, several which knocked pounds of sweat off Ruiz's head and 1 shot in particular which rebroke Ruiz's nose(Holyfield broke it first).
    You're giving far too much credit to Ruiz. He lost because he's a far inferior boxer. If you want to make it a streetfight then Ruiz wins. But that's not what boxing is. Ruiz wasn't an idiot, he was outclassed.
    <div align="right">[post=22879]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

If you say so.....

18. Hanzy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>If you say so.....
    <div align="right">[post=22889]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

:spadafora: I at least explained my version. All you said on the topic was "Ruiz was an idiot!" Where's the breakdown and explanation, sir? Where is this great boxing talent which Ruiz was disallowed from using? At least make a case, not some single sentence answers.
    But whatever! It's your opinion. :wink:

19. cpa5oh

cpa5oh Leap-Amateur

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure the point that he was trying to make is that he's not been beaten since then.
    <div align="right">[post=22887]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

That was two or three years ago versus the "6 or 7" mentioned about Silva.

Whatever dude...I don't wanna get into a dumb argument...

20. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    Orion, you're getting beat by two average men. Step it up buddy. :biggthumbup:

21. Hanzy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>:D :D
    <div align="right">[post=22894]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Lot of asswhores up in here, eh? :D

22. GeeNOMoney

GeeNOMoney Im Banned

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>That was two or three years ago versus the "6 or 7" mentioned about Silva.

Whatever dude...I don't wanna get into a dumb argument...
    <div align="right">[post=22896]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

let alone the competition level

beating Rampage senseless twice
    thats like Ruiz beating Lewis twice in 2001 or something

teh competition level is way too far apart between the two

23. GeeNOMoney

GeeNOMoney Im Banned

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Also, if a fighter taps out in MMA, he's not labeled a quitter, while in boxing, if a fighter quits in a fight, it leaves a long lasting mark on his career and reputation.

Why do you think this is?
    <div align="right">[post=22799]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

ps there is a big difference from tapping out ( quitting so to say, although its not quitting at all ) from an armbar or triangle choke ... where if you don't 5 seconds later your arm might be snapped in two, or with the triangle choke you will become unconciously and will lost the fight either way but maybe get permantly injured or even worse you might get choked to death .

where quitting in a boxing match simply cause you think you cannot win no more " no mas ".
    or Freitas ... cause ya got hit with a few hard punches

big big difference, not saying boxing is not a hard sport or something .... I also frown upon mma fighters who tap out to punches or verbally tap out due to punches or kicks or won't come out the next round cause they got a beating the previous round.
    thats pathetic in either sport imo

but tapping out to a submission hold is normal.... there is no choice, you have to tap out.

24. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Lot of asswhores up in here, eh? :D
    <div align="right">[post=22907]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

:D Sure is.

25. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>:spadafora: I at least explained my version.  All you said on the topic was "Ruiz was an idiot!"  Where's the breakdown and explanation, sir?  Where is this great boxing talent which Ruiz was disallowed from using?  At least make a case, not some single sentence answers.
    But whatever!  It's your opinion. :wink:
    <div align="right">[post=22891]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

This has been discussed a MILLION times already, and you've been here for the whole discussion, its a little old now, don't you think? And this thread has nothing to do with Ruiz-Jones. Talk about beating a dead horse. Should we discusee Tyson-Lewis also? Or maybe Hagler-Leonard?

26. Orion

Orion Not Ordinary

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Orion, you're getting beat by two average men. Step it up buddy. :biggthumbup:
    <div align="right">[post=22903]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

What are you talking Mr. Confusion? I didn't make the comparison of John Ruiz, I simply exlained why the poster might have mentioned him. Please read the whole thread more carefully before replying.

27. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>What are you talking Mr. Confusion? I didn't make the comparison of John Ruiz, I simply exlained why the poster might have mentioned him. Please read the whole thread more carefully before replying.
    <div align="right">[post=22927]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    :Oscar after a bodyshot:

I was joking with you, buddy.

"Mr. Confusion" :D

28. Gsus

Gsus Scrub

after getting koed in 30 seconds by tua, it took Jawny 7 years to get beaten again (I don't count the 1sr holyfield fight as a lost, cause it was a disgusting robbery)

29. flex

flex Scrub

Home Page:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>well...see what your missing is wandy got stretched yes....

<div align="right">[post=22802]Quoted post[/post]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Other then the lie about Wandy beating a alot of top quality fighters after getting laid out I would agree.

Actaully, Wandy went undefeated mostly beating bums and even struggling with some like Otsuka and beat maybe 1 or 2 top tier fighters.

Against real top fighters, Wandy is 2-2-1, He beat Hendo and Rampage (Kondo and Yoshida who beat him Friday and got robbed are not top tier) and lost to Tito and Vitor (Vitor was overrated to begin with) and drew with Cro Cop. He also got beat by Mark Hunt who is a realitve beginner to MMA.

Wandy is definatly not what his record makes him to be but if he keeps fighting Kondo's, Otsuka's, and Kanhara's then no one will ever know that he is not really the P4P best because of his record.