Tonight's Tyson Fury vs. '74 George Foreman

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Dog Jones, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

How does Fury who won a decision against Ngannou fare against the Rumble in the Jungle version of Big George?

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

There's no version of Fury that beats 74 Foreman. Even at his very best he's getting bounced up and down the canvas by Wilder.

REEDsART likes this.
  3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

agREED...

Wilder Dropped Fury 4x's in 3 Bouts, Which Doesn't Bode Well @ ALL, Sharing a Ring w/Prime George Foreman....'74 Foreman ENDS Fury "Early Doors" if he Attempts ANY Wilderesqe MAULING Tactics Or Stops Him Around the 8th if Fury Elects to Fight More NEGATIVELY, as He Did in the 1st Wilder Bout...

Either Way, Fury Gets KO'ed and Foreman Impregnates Paris Later That Night...

REED:afro:

Xplosive likes this.
  4. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I can’t see Fury winning this. Foreman just punches too hard and unlike Wilder, actually has SKILLS.

I reckon Foreman ends it within 6 rounds. Fury might be able to have some success early with jab and movement but Foreman will find the range sooner rather than later and I don’t see Fury dealing well with that once George lands.

5. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I think Fury at his very, very best does win some rounds and makes it awkward, but he gets stopped brutally in the mid rounds for me. The Fury from the Ngannou fight gets an expedited meeting with Jesus. With Foreman you're talking about a guy only the upper, upper echelon of heavyweight greats can deal with.

6. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Tasting the canvas and going life and death against a crude banger doesn't sound too promising.

Luckily, Foreman had other fights besides the Lyle bout

7. Xplosive

As predictable as David Tua.

8. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    So I must assume all the other responses caught you by surprise

9. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Foreman maul him. I was wrong all along about Fury. Thought that his size made up for some of his skills and talent deficits, and that he would be a match for pretty much any atg. But no, he's big garbage and he would get brutally beaten by Foreman

10. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    Out of curiosity:

Do you see any chance that Fury could redeem himself? If he were to beat Ngannou in a rematch and then Usyk, would that change your perspective, or did this bout reveal something about his limitations for good?

If not, how would you compare this to Foreman vs Lyle? It was the first time George fought a similar-sized guy with a big punch. Did he prove himself elsewhere, or did that fight reveal something about his limitations for good?

11. Xplosive

Let's get some stuff straight, so you can stop with your sad, save-Fury agenda:

1. Ron Lyle wasn't making his pro debut.

2. Foreman ultimately stopped Lyle. He didn't get a gift decision.

3. Of course 70s Foreman had limitations. No one has ever claimed him to be the perfect fighter. Fury just isn't good enough to expose those limitations. Especially not if we're talking pre-Ali Foreman.

Fury doesn't have the chin of Ali. And frankly, he just doesn't have the talent of Ali.

Foreman would cut him off and maul him.

12. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    None of these were the question here. I was not saying Fury wins, nor that he is as good as George.

It is always the logic I am interested in. Most people concentrate on conclusions, which IMO are secondary.

Now, the question was: if the Ngannou fight revealed us the truth about Fury, did the Lyle fight also reveal us the truth about Foreman. If not, why not?

At no point do I say Lyle and Ngannou are equals.

Also, if we accept that there was "pre-Ali Foreman", can we also accept that there was pre-breakdown Fury? If not, why?

If we accept that some fighters have bad days and their poorest showing isn't the whole truth about their abilities, can we accept that with Fury? If not, why?

This is what I am questioning.

At no point did I claim Fury wins

13. Jesus of montreal

Having a bad day against Ron Lyle is acceptable amd redeemable. Having a bad day against a debut making Toughman like Fury isn't. And let's not pretend that beating Usyk is such a great fest.

14. Xplosive

He HAS to beat Usyk to salvage his legacy. If Wilder is the only top, prime fighter you've beaten, that ain't enough.

15. Xplosive

Even if an Ali, Lewis, Holmes, Tyson, or Foreman weren't in optimal shape, does anyone think Ngannou could whup them...

In his pro debut...

16. Ugotabe Kidding

Home Page:
    We'll find out how good Ngannou is or isn't but yes, nearly losing to him will definitely count against Fury regarding his all-time status.

However, I still think there is a logical puzzle here.

Tyson Fury is now 35, eight years removed from his best night. During that time he has had two mental breakdowns, medical issues that made him balloon to over 400 lbs and some heavy boozing. Then he goofs in his training for a supposed exhibition, and blows it. This reveals us his level as a fighter also in his prime.

Mike Tyson was 24, two years removed from his biggest night. He had some self-control issues snd boozed for a couple of weeks. He got dominated and KOed by a journeyman. It affects his all-time status, but when we consider his prime, this fight is totally neglected.

It doesn't matter that Ngannou isn't Douglas and that Fury isn't Mike. I still can't get a hold of this logic.

17. Jesus of montreal

The only saving grace for fury is that Ngannou is a boxer parading as a mma fighter.

18. Double L

Double L Book Reader

This is one of the pitfalls of having a thin resume like Fury.....one shit performance triggers accusations he's a fraud and overrated. Although, in fairness, save for Usyk, I'm hard pressed to think of current contenders that had he beaten would've prevented this fall out.

Ugotabe Kidding likes this.
  19. Xplosive

He's not a fraud. He is overrated.

20. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Let's see Ngannou in some more fights - it's possible he is being underrated.