UFC President Dana White calls Couture/Liddell 3 the "Ali/Frazier" of MMA?

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Hanzy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The names are legendary, and indelibly linked together – Ali and Frazier, Barrera and Morales, Gatti and Ward. But while those series gave boxing fans some of the most intense fights ever seen, mixed martial arts fans haven’t had an epic trilogy to call their own, something they can look back 25 years from now and say, ‘I was there.’ -Dana White (UFC President)

:nixweiss:Do you think this guy Dana White is trying too hard to hype his promotion? Personally, I enjoy the UFC but there's nothing about this mma product that is or could most likely ever be historically relevant to the point where somebody would say "Hey, I was there 25 years ago when Liddell and Couture fought for the UFC Light Heavyweight championship!"
    It's like "Big fucking deal!":jester:
    Neither of the fights were actually great. Both were lop-sided wins for the victor.
    Will you remember the amazing stupendous fanstastic "Liddell/Couture trilogy" for years to come?
    [/FONT]

2. FourHooks

FourHooks Undisputed Champion

Fluffer
    Home Page:
    they absolutely try to hard to sell the idea that the sport is mainstream. When its mainstream, they wont have to tell anyone

3. Hanzy

True, and it's no fault of their own. I mean, MMA to the viewing public has been around for barely 15 years. But it has evolved. When or if it does become mainstream though, who knows? But Dana White should realize that the UFC is just a little north american based company. There's nothing "WORLD" about it.

4. sexperienced

sexperienced Leap-Amateur

K-1's been around for less than that (8 year I think) but its the biggest spectator sport in Japan.

UFC fans are probably the worst fans to have. They boo their own fighters the moment the fight hits the ground.

I doubt MMA will ever be mainstream. Muay Thai should've been mainstream by now, but it isnt.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  5. Hanzy

Every combat sport is big in Japan. Thing is, it's not even close to as big internationally.