US Navy SEAL workout

Discussion in 'Training & Conditioning' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) - Basic Conditioning

Week 1
    Running - 2 miles / 08:30 pace
    Pushups - 4 sets / 15 reps
    Abdominal crunches - 4 sets / 20 reps
    Pullups - 3 sets / 3 reps
    (any 3 days per week)
    Swimming - 15 mins / any stroke
    (any 4-5 days per week)

Week 2
    Running - 2 miles / 08:30 pace
    Pushups - 5 sets / 15 reps
    Abdominal crunches - 5 sets / 20 reps
    Pullups - 3 sets / 3 reps
    (any 3 days per week)
    Swimming - 15 mins / any stroke
    (any 4-5 days per week)

Week 3
    Running - N/A
    Pushups - 5 sets / 25 reps
    Abdominal crunches - 5 sets / 25 reps
    Pullups - 3 sets / 4 reps
    (any 3 days per week)
    Swimming - 20 mins / any stroke
    (any 4-5 days per week)

Week 4
    Running - 3 miles / 08:30 pace
    Pushups - 5 sets / 25 reps
    Abdominal crunches - 5 sets / 25 reps
    Pullups - 3 sets / 4 reps
    (any 3 days per week)
    Swimming - 20 mins / any stroke
    (any 4-5 days per week)

None of you can consider yourself real men unless you at least attempt this for 2 weeks. :popcorn:
    If you can do the full 4 weeks, then it gets progressively harder for weeks 5-9.

Then you start Phase 2. :lol:

2. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    I know it sounds like bragging, but I could probably do all that already. I'd only be unsure about the running and the swimming, but I think if I tried my hardest and was only doing 2 miles, I could nail the running. As for the swimming, I could probably dog paddle for 15 minutes. Pullups would be easy as I ropeclimb and do chins already.

3. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    It sounds like fun though. I think I might have to take you up on this, DM. I just have to rest my neck because I screwed it up a few days ago.

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I had a crack at it last night - but I couldnt attempt pullups (not that I can do any anyway) because I dont have a pullup bar or a suitable substitute at home.
    The did the rest but was off on the 2 miles - 18:45.

I did the running part last and it's a deceptively tough workout for sure...

Swimming Im ok at - front-crawl and breast-stroke - the hardest thing about swimming is ensuring the local pool isn't too busy...you can't get into a rhythm.

5. Buddy Rydell

Home Page:
    A tree branch would be good for pullups if you don't mind people occasionally watching, or even a jungle gym or school play structure when it's 5 or 6 in the afternoon.

My running course is uphill for most of the way there, so it'd be tough but perhaps a run on a treadmill would be ok if you set the incline a few notches to try and replicate outdoor running.

With swimming, you could just go in circles or just make sure your feet don't touch the bottom. Even treading water for awhile would probably be acceptable.

You can find work arounds, and they don't have to be exact. If the tree branch is springy. Do more reps to compensate. That type of thing.

6. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

No no Buddy - I have to have everything at home...so, Im gonna get a steel bar, attach it to the opening in my attic and use that.
    Fucking hardest things (for me) to do, pullups... :fightme:
    Even increasing weight on the lat-pulldown machine ain't working, so Ive got to suck it up and do it.

Running, I've got that sorted - but damn, it was hard getting that 2nd mile to under 9 minutes after everything before - I was really sucking in air on the final approach...Im going to reverse-order it tomorrow and see what happens.
    I ain't running in army-boots...my right-shin is semi-fucked as it is.

Swimming - scheduled for Sunday when my local pool is quiet. Being tall, Ive always had a wide wingspan so swimming isnt as hard...

Ooh-rah!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

What's the source for this? It looks like a relatively easy workout. IIRC the minimum # of pullups a SEAL has to be able to do is 20, pretty much anyone could do 3x3. The descriptions of their running I've read make it sound like a lot more than 2 miles, though they're doing it with full gear on and such.

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Well, the initial Physical Screening Test if you wanted to apply for SEALs is this:
    * 500-yard swim - 12:30
    10:00 rest
    * 42 pushups in 02:00
    02:00 rest
    * 50 situps in 02:00
    02:00 rest
    * 6 pullups in no-time-limit
    10:00 rest
    * 1.5 mile run in combat boots and long-pants in 11:30 or less

If you pass that, then you get entrance into the first 8-week basic conditioning phase I listed in OP (I dont think it's absolutely 100% accurate to what SEAL candidates actually do).

After that, is when you start BUD/S training...so apologies as my initial title in that OP was misleading!

9. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

That's a little odd.. those look like they should be bare minimum requirements for your average grunt, not SEALs. Well, everything aside from the 500 yard swim - I have no idea whether that time/pace is strenuous or not, I've never timed myself (or measured distance) when swimming

10. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I'd say swimming and running requirements are the ones that actually matter, in a modern war the ability to do situps doesn't come to play very often

11. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I don't know. I'd say the chin ups & push ups might be best indicators of combat usefulness (not that any of them tell you much, IMO). I'd far rather go to war with a guy who can, say, deadlift 400lb than do 40 pool lengths or run 5 miles quickly. Proficiency at chin ups being somewhere in the middle, I guess. If I get shot in the leg and need some guy to carry me plus the 70lb of equipment they've already got I want them to be able to do 4 bloody chin ups..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Swimming and diving is one of the most important aspects of SEAL training.
    OSS Ops and underwater demolition teams....if you got injured on one of these, someone would have to swim and pull your little 150lb frame along with him, Hut.
    :lol:

13. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Ah, I see I didnt realize they were divers

14. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I am not saying some physical fitness is not useful and as you said, none of these are really all that important when you look for the best soldier possible. What I mean is that in most combat situations you don't need physical strength (carrying a wounded person of course being an exception). War is mostly about waiting and staying in cove. Stamina becomes useful as you need to be able to stay alert and operate even if you are forced to run for long time, you are getting tired and your heart beats like hell. When I was in the army, I don't remember any situation where you would actually have needed more strength than to carry the 70-pound sack on your back

15. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I'll defer to you on that one then:Thumbs: