What if Oscar had fought a cautious fight instead of coming forward?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Hanzy, May 10, 2007.

1. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

The way he did with Trinidad, picking his shots and moving around the ring?

2. IMDAZED

IMDAZED Undisputed Champion

He woulda collapsed in the third from exhaustion.

3. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

It really does bring up many questions. What do you think Double L?

4. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Not one punch would have gotten thrown and PBF would have gotten the nod for posturing 10 feet away like he had allot more skill ..
    Just that slinky boxing look would have gotten him a UD ..

5. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:

If Oscar would have fought cautiously from a distance he would have lost every round. He was clearly losing when they were in the center of the ring and boxing.

6. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Truth. Oscar needed to work aggressively behind his jab but he didn't have the juice to do that in enough rounds.

7. Hex-One

Hex-One "Twinkle Toes" McJack

None of your business
    :lol:

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

ODH probably wouldn't have taken as much punishment on the gloves, but his offense would've suffered somewhat. And like someone said, he would've tired faster and been completely useless in the final rounds.

9. Orthodox Crusader

Orthodox Crusader "Twinkle Toes" McJack

The more and more I think of it, the more a "fight-for-my-expenses" kind of guy like Archie Moore must be rolling in his grave.

Oscar is 34, and has never had a weight problem, and can't drum up enuff stamina in a one-fight-year to outjab and outwork one of the more overrated champions of our time. Its fucking pathetic. Can you see Carmen Basilio or Tony De Marco losing simply because they "couldn't jab two extra-rounds"? Awful.

10. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

Well, Quitaly Shitko gave up against Byrd, when all he had to do was to stay up on his legs for 3 rounds. He didn't even have to throw any punches.....Gives you some food for thought, eh?

11. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i felt that way too. seemed like ODH gave it away. he proved that when he worked he could get it done. and the bottom line is he stopped working.

12. dymipepel

dymipepel Im Banned

You should start "If ODLH hadn't stopped working would he have won?" thread.

13. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I think the key is working behind the jab, not necessarily the aggressive part. If he worked aggressive in the first part of the fight and got a lead, he could have been more passive for the second part Then he could still use the jab but more as a defensive tool to make Mayweather try to play catch-up and take more chances by lunging.

14. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

Oh the bullshit is coming out now. Oscar was succesful with the jab so he gave the fight away?:lol:

I guess Floyd was lucky his overhand right worked.

Floyd does not fight to what his opponent is doing he maintains the same distance throughout and either throws accurate punches or counters the other guys punches. He would have fought the same way regardless of Oscar's actions. If you watch him carefully he usually throws the same amount of punches per a round.

I can understand somoene not liking Floyd's style,it is distinct, but the guy is talented face it haters.

15. Double L

Double L Book Reader

never said he wasn't talented.

and i agree with you. PBF is gonna do what he's gonna do. round after round. and that's exactly why ODH would've won the fight if he hadn't stopped working in the final three rounds.

16. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

I think Oscar fought the perfect fight he should have fought. He put pressure on Floyd but not coming in wildly. He seemed to try different ways to come in but no matter what Floyd was just better and younger.

No matter what gameplan Oscar fought, Floyd would have adjusted.

Floyd also did what he had to do, I still think he could have risked a little more. I think the big stage was perfect for him to do more than just fight a safe fight.

17. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

Your analysis is pathetic. Oscar didn't stop doing anything, he was stopped. He was countered and backed up in the middle of the ring. When he pressed he was neutralized.

Why do otherwise intelligent fans of the game think that boxing is only about punching? How about imposing your will and neutralizing your opponent? How about counterpunching... real counterpunching where you catch the guy before his punch is extended?

Oscar was made to stop punching. If he had not met with a greater or equal incentive to stop attacking he would have punched more.

18. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

CNC Manager
    Home Page:
    He would have had more energy because he CHASED him around the ring and threw as many punches as possible to try and hit him. If he was more conservative, he would have had more gas at the end.

19. Double L

Double L Book Reader

i disagree. in fact, it was when ODH stopped punching that he ran into trouble. further proof that he stopped punching because he was tired. when he did let his hands go, he was effective and was winning the fight.