What makes a great trainer?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by dsimon3387, May 14, 2007.

1. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes;

My own limited understanding is based partially on a story my dad once told me. He boxed in the Marine Corps and was not a talented fighter, but had enough heart to try it. He was fighting a guy who was very good and in the first round kept getting tagged. His corner guy told him that everytime his opponent threw a certain punch, he should throw a jab. My dad simply did what he was told and started to hit the guy!

My dad was amazed at how smart hs corner guy was. He lost the fight but did well simply following the advice of his corner.

What I don't see much of these days is a trainer who does more than shout, or encourage a fighter. Seldom do I notice a trainer giving actual technical information that will help a fighter adjust to his opponent. Don Turner and Emmanuel Stewart are exceptional in this regard IMO.

2. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Take all the ingredients of Teddy Atlas, and do the opposite.

Then you've got a great trainer.

3. Free Ike

Free Ike WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

None
    A good trainer pprepares his fighter and makes important observations and instructs the fighter on what they see from the outside. Roach is a good trainer, but he fucked up bad in the DL fight. Floyd was bothered by the jab. If I had been in Oscar's corner I would have said don't throw anything but a jab, bring it back high and watch for shots underneath and if he counters with his right, fire yours. Freddy just let oSCAR try to run roughshod over Floyd which didn't happen.

4. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Did you even watch the fight??? Freddie asked Oscar to use the jab more on at least 2 occassions that they showed on the telecast...Who knows how many other times that they didn't manage to catch.

Even Oscar said he knew he needed to jab more, but just couldn't pull the trigger..

Just once try watching a fight before commenting.. Damn...

5. Kenny

Kenny Scrub

Only throwing the Jab wouldn't get the job done versus floyd. GB needed the jab to get in, where he can throw as much punches as he can inside before Floyd does his impression of Hatton. He did pretty good in the start but I agree with Steve from showtime, he didn't have enough energy to do it 12 full rounds.

6. Free Ike

None
    There are three witnesses on this site who saw me watch the fight you dipshit.

7. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    If Oscar had enough energy to throw some of those b.s. flurries that missed, why couldn't he throw the snapping hard jab more often, instead?

8. dsimon3387

dsimon3387 WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

dsimon writes:

I am convinced that Atlas and Curtis Silwa (the Guardian Angels leader) were seperated at birth.:lol: :lol:

9. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Then your problem is understanding what you watch...

Are you telling me that Freddie didn't ask for more jabs????

Make the call moron.. Which is it????

10. Free Ike

None
    He should have been emphatic. I mean to the point of saying in this round do not throw anything other than a jab until he proves he can deal with it. Do not follow him. Do not try to throw power shots. When he goes to the ropes jab him, double jab, watch the pull counter and back off. He never ever was emphatic enough. He should have been like Manny was in Wlad's recent fights. Forget your right hand, use your left. In this case, he should have said don't throw the hook. Floyd moved from that but the jab was wildly accurate.

11. Rubio MHS

Rubio MHS Undisputed Champion

Great fighters.

12. Kenny

Kenny Scrub

By the end, Oscar didn't throw much of anything. Their was no speed or power on Oscar's punches during the late rounds. A lazy jab gets countered big by floyd.