Wilder vs. '78 Ali

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Dog Jones, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Is the 3x champ Ali washed enough for Wilder to windmill his way to victory here

2. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

Ugh. The Spinks version of Ali was shell of himself. If Wilder wasn't such a low output, one at a time bomber it would be easier to pick him but Ali's jab was still a dangerous weapon and his right hand was still sharp enough to break up Wilder's offensive flow and bust him up. The biggest thing is that Ali's legs were mostly gone and he'd be in the danger zone too often. Wilder would do damage but not enough to get a stoppage.

We've seen how inept Wilder is when it comes to his inside game and an old but motivated Ali has way too many tricks in where it gets down and dirty.

I think Ali's one-twos, mauling in the clinches and constantly pulling his head down would frustrate and tire Wilder. Wilder does what he does and lands some bombs but Ali fights through them. Wilder wouldn't be immune to Ali's sharp counters and I think he'd have to endure some rough moments of his own because he doesn't move his damned head and Ali was still quick enough to catch him.

Wilder lands some scary bombs but Old Ali has too much grit for him and grinds out an ugly and contested decision.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  3. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Wilder. Ali was a bum at that point

4. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Old Ali decisions Wilder in clear fashion in an ugly fight. The Ali who beat Joe in Manila takes Wilder out mid to late. The Foreman version of Ali beats him up and I can’t see it going more than mid rounds.

Young 60s version Ali would end him early I think. The same type of shot that put Liston down and out would do the same to Wilder.

Fortunato and BOSS like this.
  5. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Wilder literally doesn't attack. He just throws occasional counter hail mary. A steady one two and a decent chin will beat his ass everyday.

George Crowcroft and Xplosive like this.
  6. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

Exactly. Even the Ali that fought Norton and Shavers a year or so before the Spinks fights had more than enough left in the tank to win more decisively.

Wider is a one armed bandit without much of a work rate. With no meaningful left hook to keep Ali wary he'd prey on someone like Wilder.

puerto rock likes this.
  7. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Ali who fought Berbick beats peak wilde

Dog Jones who fought clay whips wilder too

8. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Lol Jesus Christ, not even I would go that far. Wilder beats the Holmes/Berbick version of Ali.

However, I think even the 78 Ali would find the brains and determination to outbox Wilder.

If we take it back 4 years prior, the Rumble in the Jungle Ali beats 10 shades of dog shit outta Wilder's bum ass and knocks him out.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

All Bullshit Aside, the Holmes/Berbick Ali Might Finagle Enough Rounds to ARGUABLY Beat the Wilder from Last Weekend...

REED:Dont:

ps. No, REED HASN'T Been Drinking Either...

10. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I didn't see the full fight. Only highlights. From what I can infer, it was a combination of the Fury beatings and inactivity having declined Wilder, but also just Wilder being totally inept against a competent technician who can back him up.

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Wilder's Never Been LESS Aggressive to REED's Eyes...

Fought Like a Man LEARNING to "Box", Looking to Showcase New Teachings, w/NOfuckingCLUE as to HOW/WHEN/WHERE/WHY to Apply Those Teachings...Parker Stabbed the Body from the Perimeter and Launched Looping Overhand Rights Once He was Reasonably CLOSE to Wilder, Who In Turn FLAILED His Arms About, Like a DRUNK Fending Off a Swarm of Flies...

Put it THIS Way, Wilder Looked BETTER In All 3 Fury Fights Than he Did vs. Parker, in REED's Opinion...@ Least vs. Fury, There was an Element of DANGER w/Wilder...But It was M.I.A. vs. Parker...REED's Always Been One to Harp On Wilder's RESULTS In Lieu of His Skills/Technique, But There was NO Getting Around His GLARING Shortcomings vs. Parker...

REED:afro:

Xplosive and Fortunato like this.
  12. Fortunato

Fortunato WBC Champion

Wilder was lucky it was Parker in there. He was still scared of Wilder's power even after he hurt Deontay multiple times. Wilder had nothing left and Parker seemed scared to press his advantage.

REEDsART and George Crowcroft like this.
  13. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Pretty much. Wilder clearly didn't look as normal, he basically had no drive or fire in him. Every time he tried to retaliate the punches just looked flat. I think age has probably caught up with him, on top of what you mentioned.

One thing's for sure, is that Wilder is lucky he was only in with Parker.

Xplosive likes this.
  14. Neil

Neil tueur de grenouilles

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    3x Champ Randall Bailey showed a lot more testicular fortitude, skill and gumption in his 40s when he nearly KOd Horn than a younger Wilder did the other night vs an equally mediocre southern hemisphere fighter. can we finally put those comparisons to bed?!

Xplosive likes this.
  15. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Wilder-Bailey Comparisons???...Did REED Miss Something???...

REED:confused: