Michael Watson vs. Joe Calzaghe

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Erratic, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Say it's at 168, since Calslappy never fought at 160. Watson weighed above the MW limit for a number of his fights, although only one real fight where he and his opponent were close to the SMW limit, when he was beating Eubank (again) before the tragic ending.

2. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    :dunno:

3. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Zaghe by slap avalanche bemusement

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I think Watson would run Calz pretty close actually. I see Joe pulling it out, but it sure as Hell wouldnt be easy.

5. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    :bears:

6. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

You don't know boxing. You've watched a lot of fights, far more than me, but you haven't been able to translate that experience into wisdom.

Calzaghe wins at least 8 rounds.

7. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Here's some wisdom to translate, sly: Watson would probably be the best guy slagfaggy ever fought at 168

8. Destruction and Mayhem

Doesn't matter. Frazier was the best guy foreman had fought heading into their first fight. Watson was a good fighter but basic. In the Benn fight it was more benn beating himself that anything else. Benn just threw haymaker after haymaker and Watson kept his hands high and Benn punched himself out. Plus benn never had teh best chin to begin with. Now Watson had teh beating of Eubank, but Eubank didn't have a high workrate, never did, and wasn't a southpaw. Calzaghe would have been too much for Watson.

9. Xplosive

Sly has become an irrational groupie when it comes to fighters he likes/dislikes. He thinks it's crazy to suggest Leonard and Hearns would wipe out Canelo, yet is outraged by me suggesting a quality fighter like Watson be a tough fight for Calz.

Unbelievable....

10. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Well Watson aint no Robin Reid or Richie Woodhall, is he?

11. Xplosive

Funny thing is, Watson actually beat a prime Eubank more impressively than Calz beat a washed up Eubank.

I'm referring to the first Watson-Eubank fight aka one of the worst big fight robberies of all time. Watson was robbed blind.

12. Destruction and Mayhem

I can't dignify any of this with a proper response.

It's like having an argument with a person with Schizophrenia....it's pointless.

13. Xplosive

You can't dignify it because you realize you make ZERO sense.

I didn't even pick Watson to WIN. I just said it'd be a difficult fight for Joe.

Watson ain't Jeff Lacy.

14. Destruction and Mayhem

You of all people shouldn't bring up Jeff Lacy. You PICKED Lacy to beat Calzaghe. That's how much you know about Calzaghe.

15. Xplosive

You probably forget the reason why I DID pick Lacy. I believed, incorrectly, that Calz inactivity and age were gonna catch up to him. You seem to believe that I thought of Lacy as some beast, which I never did.

Looking back, I shoulda known after he went life and death with Omar Sheika that Joe woulda beaten him, but at the time my gut was telling me youth over age.

16. Destruction and Mayhem

No.

You picked Lacy because he was exciting and because you didn't like Calzaghe's style. You pick fights based upon the style of fighting you like. That's not unique to you either...most people around here do that.

17. Xplosive

LOL. How are you gonna assume to tell me what I said?

I never thought of Lacy as some second coming of Tyson.

But Joe going in had been inactive, and had been fighting no hopers for YEARS. I predicted he wouldn't be able to deal with Lacy's youth and power all night.

18. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

I reckon, and have long reckoned, that Watson would have beaten Joe. :lol: at Watson being 'good but basic' - he was a very skilled and adaptable fighter - he fought Benn once and Eubanks twice and fought three completely different ways in each of the three fights. He was very good. I'm a Calzaghe fan, and I can see him winning, but he isn't stopping Watson (I can see him winning a fairly tight decision perhaps) and if he does it's his best career win by a fair bit.

MTF

19. meetthefeebles

Truth. Watson beat the shit out of Benn then beat shit out of Eubanks, got robbed, then gave Eubanks an absolute hiding for 10 and 9/10ths rounds of the rematch.

MTF

20. Destruction and Mayhem

Have you seen Watson-McCallum? Watson was basic. Yes, mcCallum was a great fighter but he was a former jnr Middle and he beat Watson pretty badly.

Watson beat Benn by simply holding his guard up high and letting Benn punch himself out. He was beating Eubank because Eubank had no stamina or workrate.

21. meetthefeebles

Watson had eleven months out prior to that fight after getting injured training for the original fight date and he took the fight without a single tune-up for fear of losing the title shot. Watson had a couple of good reasons for that loss. He was rusty as hell.

Mind, McCallum was better than Watson, Benn, Eubanks and Calzaghe, but that's by the by.

The rest of your post is just daft. He beat Eubanks the first time by out-boxing him at distance. He near enough beat him second time by punching the shit out of him. He chased Eubanks round the ring and brayed snot out of him. He rope-a-doped Benn to death. Watch that fight again from the third round onwards. Watson landed every single good punch in that fight from rounds 3-6: he nearly knocked Benn out in the fourth with a great 1-2 off the ropes. Benn punched himself out but Watson helped him along with a plethora of hard shots. Three different fights, three different styles.

MTF

22. Destruction and Mayhem

I'm a Watson fan, so I really don't want to get drawn into a long debate in which it looks like I'm tearing him down. Bottomline is: Calzaghe is clearly teh better fighter. I wouldn't pick Watson to even be competitive with the version of Hopkins that Calzaghe beat and not even sure he'd beat the tarnished Roy Jones that Calzaghe beat. Watson Kessler would be a pick'em and Lacy would have given Watson a much closer fight than he did Calzaghe.

Secondly...your reasons for Watson being "not basic" are silly. Steve Collins fought Eubank two different ways in two fights and then fought benn differently as well. So what. Gatti fought ward differently in the 2nd fight than he did in the first....and Gatti boxed some guys and slugged with others. Watson varied his fight plan in those three fights, yes, but he wasn't a dynamic multi-dimensional fighter like a Calzaghe or a Hopkins or a Jones. Which is my point.

23. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Calzaghe definitely beats Watson. Watson WAS good, don't get me wrong, but whilst I think some of the rounds are close, Calzaghe wins the vast majority of them. Calzaghe was brilliant.

24. meetthefeebles

There is so much I disagree with in this post that I'm not even going to bother responding.

MTF