Andre Ward vs. Michael Spinks @ LHW

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Dog Jones, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Can Spinks do a better job than Kovalev, would he stop SOG?

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Yes and yes.

Judging by tonight, not only would Spinks have beaten the fuck outta Ward... Ward wouldn't have been particularly competitive.

3. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Spinks wins but almost everybody was competitive against him

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

5. Xplosive

Spinks was a slow starter, so Ward hangs until he warms up. But after that, it's a blowout.

Ward doesn't even beat Eddie MM, let alone Spinks.

6. Xplosive

Fuck Spinks? But praise the eye-sore that is Ward?

7. Destruction and Mayhem

No, not that. I'm just tired of MMs involving Spinks. Spinks had an ugly awkward style of fighting and I'll never forgive him for his cowardly bitch made pussy performance against Tyson

8. Xplosive

1. Spinks is a top 5 all time light heavy, and a top 20 fighter of all time period. He deserves a lot of MMs.

2. I dunno where you get off calling his Tyson performance "cowardly". He was intimidated, yes. But he didn't go out like a coward. He was plain and simple overwhelmed by a much bigger, and more powerful man. That would have happened regardless of whether or not Spinks was intimidated.

9. Destruction and Mayhem

Spinks MMs are boring because it's fightbeat institution to just pick him to win (unless it's against Ezzard Charles). Also I just found spinks to be an awkward annoying motherfucker. Great fighter no doubt though.

Yes, he bitched out against Tyson. Tyson would have won anyway, but Spinks came out to lose in 1 round, collect his paycheck, and leave the ring with minimal damage.

10. Xplosive

Charles isn't the only light heavy I'd pick over Spinks. I'd probably pick Foster and Moore over him as well. Roy has a chance, but I'd favor Spinks.

Yeah, Spinks planned to get clocked cold with his eyes rolling back in his head. Makes perfect sense.

Tyson overwhelmed Spinks. PERIOD! Spinks could have come out with all the confidence in the world, and he'd still have been dispatched in 91 seconds.

It kinda discredits Tyson, cause it plays to the narrative of guys only losing to Mike cause they were scared. No, guys lost to Tyson because Mike punched them in the face extremely hard and fast.

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Even IF the knockout was legitimate (in terms of Spinks not pretending he was more hurt than he was) it doesn't automatically determine that Spinks didn't plan to lose early and get out and go home. The cunt didn't even want to fight! Butch Lewis had to convince him that night to actually get into the ring. Spinks was terrified and didn't want to be there.

By the way, I don't think the punch Tyson knocked him out with was all that. I think Spinks was partly acting.

12. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Even though he went in the ring scared, I never subscribed to the theory that Spinks didn't try.

I think he did. But it was too much TYSON that night. The unpredictability, ferocity, combined with hand and foot speed, and of course POWER...

Spinks was overwhelmed and there was nothing he was going to be able to do about it.

Now Bruce Seldon on the other hand took the easy way out. As did Andrew Golota, and Clifford Ettiene. Those guys just didn't wanna fight, but they did get hit.

Seldon is the most suspect one, though.

13. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Agreed, and I rewatched the Golota fight the other day's, and both were going at each others pretty hard. Golota alway's was suspect mentally but maybe (some of) his injuries were real and he quit because of it.

14. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I do think it would be mildly competitive until Ward walks unto a Spinks bomb. Then it's game over.

15. Xplosive

The thing is, even early on... Ward would have no answer for Spinks' jab.