2000 Mosley vs 2009 Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by puerto rock, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    yea then mosley went and beat the dog shit out of margarito and they fought him.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I think Roach would strongly advise Manny not to face a prime Mosley.

3. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Mosley is bigger, stronger, faster and Manny doesn't have any real defensive wrinkles or versatility to not make that the story of the fight.

4. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I would take any of the 90s /early 2000 welterweight champions to beat Manny convincingly. He's become extremely overrated as a welterweight, along with Money May.

5. Xplosive

Nonsense! Shane was on the same level as Lamont Peterson.

6. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Even the "P4P King" James Page?

7. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Overrated ? Pacquiao is horrendously underrated at 147lbs.

8. puerto rock

Pac's level of opposition at 147 is quite suspect, to say the least, littered with shady rehydration clauses and catch weights against opponents last their prime, had outgrown the weight class, or were just not real 147 pounders in their prime.

9. Destruction and Mayhem

And outside of De La Hoya, who did Mosley beat?

10. puerto rock

Mosley's level of opposition is also subpar aside the Oscar fight. But I think that version of Mosley beats the Pacquiao who destroyed Cotto.

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Mosley looked very good in the first Oscar fight, especially considering how bad Tito looked against Oscar previously. It was the comparison between the two fights that had people going crazy about Shane and calling him the P4P. However, closer examination of the two fights reveals that Oscar fought Shane far differently than he fought Tito...in fact Oscar totally underestimated Shane and thought that he could just walk in and knock him out. Oscar didn't even try to defend himself in that fight...he just walked forward chin in the air just trying to slug Shane outta there. Shane does well against slugging opponents. He's out of his element against boxers or movers. The reason for this is because Shane always had limited boxing acumen. He was just a brawler at heart that looked "cute" because of his fast hands and rolling of the gloves and twitchy antics. Against a southpaw speedster moving stamina daddy like Pacquiao he would have lost big time; prime or not. Just look at the two videos in this thread that I posted.

12. puerto rock

The videos don't give an idea how the styles would mesh at all...

Rivera was limited but he was a big welterweight, and a rugged guy who gave a still good version of Whitaker two tough fights. He also went 9 rounds with a prime Osca. Plus that was Mosley's FIRST fight at 147 and the amount of clean flush shots Rivera took, to me does not in any way, shape or form tell me that Manny would deal with those shots, and yes Pac would get hit repeatedly by Mosley.

Cotto is a small welterweight. And though he wasn't a sloth, he wasn't all that quick handed either. Plus, whereas Pac was able to in fact hurt Cotto damn near every time he landed clean, his punches would have no effect on Mosley. In fact, I think Shane WALKS THROUGH Manny's punches. And also unlike Cotto, he's quick enough to punch in between Manny's flurries of lefts and rights.

Manny really doesn't have enough variety in his game to offset Mosley. Despite his great footwork, he doesn't have the defensive reflexes, head movement, nor tendency to hold and spoil to NOT make Mosley's offense a major factor. When Manny gets hit, he fights back fire with fire. He knows no other way. It's one thing to get away with it against guys like Hatton and Cotto. But against a guy who's punches are even faster than his, punches he won't see coming, different story.

13. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Rivera was what...5'10"?

Pac is what 5'6"?

I can certainly see how those guys styles are similar.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. Destruction and Mayhem

The height is not important in this case because Rivera didn't fight in a way that made his height a factor.

15. Destruction and Mayhem

You just illustrated a common misconception that most boxing fans have: they automatically equate fast hands with fast reflexes and good timing. Those are all very independent attributes. Mosley was not a fast thinker that could just " punch between Manny's flurries of lefts and rights". That's my point. Shane never had that skill. Shane was just fast handed....he didn't have fast counterpunches and he wasn't known for being able to time and opponent. Mosley just responded with fast handed power punches in between his spurts of relative inactivity....but he wasn't a guy that could do a " pull counter" or even slip a jab and immediately follow with a left hook or anything like that. He was just a fast handed slugger. As such he was not going to be able to break up Pacquiao a rhythm with sharp smart counters. He's have to wait for PAC to be stationary and finish punching before he responded or else just throw at the same time. Problem with the former is that PAC never stops throwing and problem with the latter is that Shane would have been taking more leather in the exchanges than Pacquiao because Pacquiao had more fluid and accurate flurries and is also an awkward southpaw.

16. puerto rock

It's not even about timing Manny coming in. That's not the only way to beat him. Mosley could use his strength to back Manny up all night and his hooks to the body inside would keep Pac reluctant from letting his hands go so freely. He wouldn't have to worry about slipping any jabs either because Manny had no jab if we wanna be honest. Mosley also had excellent footwork with the way he was able to slide in and out of range when getting off his combinations, and in his early days as a welterweight. He would find Manny very easy to hit. Easier to hit than Oscar, seeing as Oscar even in that first fight with Mosley still had more variety to his offense than Manny ever could dream of. Manny shows the same thing every time. Flicking right jab, that's only used to set up the left hand, an occasional right hook, and flurries of shots.

As much as Mosley gets criticized for not having a great ring IQ (Which I admit was not great), Manny didn't have a high ring IQ either. He got by mostly on just being faster and more powerful than his opponents. And he holds no such advantages in this fight. Shane is simply too big, too strong, and yes too fast for Manny. If Manny had Benitez like defense, I'd pick him. But he doesn't. And you're not going to beat Mosley by trying to outfight him, whilst being the smaller guy.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

It's too simplistic to suggest that manny got by by just speed and power. Pacquiao' success can be attributed by far more than that. More importantly was his workrate....fuelled by unending stamina. Also he had fast feet and an unpredictable attack. He had more more overall attributes than a prime Mosley.

18. Xplosive

No, make no mistake.... Manny became famous and got by on speed and power.

19. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Pac would counter Mosley senseless.

20. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Undisputed Champion

I still think Pac would win on the strength of his southpaw attack, consistent workrate, and better defense and technique.

21. LOKDIGGY

LOKDIGGY Leap-Amateur

Shane unless his back tightened up lol

i often think Shane would have been so much better if he had a real trainer

Jack mosely would talk about "wait until they get in there and feel how STRONG Shane is" he always talked about Shane's strength in the gym etc.

I seriously remember one fight where during the corner Jack says "Shane, you need to throw punches in there, throw more punches"

22. Xplosive

I still pick 00 Mosley.

23. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Glad to see every forum has is Pacquiao fans lol

I'd pick Mosley, but not by blow out. There's no chance that he shells up and lets Pacquiao throw 100 punches a round. Who do you think he is? Joshua Clottey? Mosley would fire straight punches down the centre, which would take its toll on Pacquiao. He gives Mosely a damn good fight though, but he gets stopped around the ninth.

24. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    98 mosley over the 2008 pacquaio at lightweight, also

Xplosive and George Crowcroft like this.
  25. Xplosive

That guy you saw on the first page (Destruction & Mayhem, but better known to us as Sly Staff) was not a Pac fan, as much as he was THE BIGGEST Mosley hater who's ever walked the Earth.

He despised Mosley with a passion and was totally biased against him.

He was also the most annoying and blatant Mayweather groupie you'll ever see.

26. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I have no problem with people confidently picking Mosley in this one, but it bothers me a bit that this MM has turned more and more lopsided as the real Pacquiao has grown old. Had this been posted in 2010, the picks would look quite different

27. Xplosive

I would have picked Mosley in 2010.

28. Double L

Double L Book Reader

No way Mosley wins this.