ALDO OUT !!!!! Mendes in.

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Anthony, Jan 30, 2015.

1. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I remember mike flipping out at dsimon when he ruined Vasquez - Marquez 2 at a Kostya Tszyu thread.

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Yeah, there was a Kostya Tszyu thread, so it's understandable. But we got like 6 regulars in here.

3. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Yeah, that's a possibility too. Though I think he's a bit too unproven to be considered underrated, and looking at the big picture, I think it's clear enough looking at Aldo's UFC run that he is obviously not the best MMA fighter in the world.

4. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

There's a "Passing of the Torch", a "Changing of the Guard" Vibe to this Fight...It just Seems to Be Conor McGregor's TIME...

In Terms of Combative Sports ENTERTAINMENT, McGregor's the TOTAL Package...Well Spoken, Talks MAD Shit, LAUGHS Frequently...Despite WHAT McGregor May Say, he's LIKABLE...His Verbal Excrement NEVER Seems Forced, it just Flows...

His STYLE of Fighting has Proven to Be Every Bit as Entertaining Too....CREATIVE, RISKY, ATHLETIC...Seems to Have ELITE Level Striking, while Being VERY Capable on the Ground, Simultaneously...ONLY Knock on him is Opposition, Which Will Cease to Exist, the Instant McGregor Steps in the Octagon w/Jose Aldo...

More than Anything, UFC Needs STARS Right Now...w/Bones Jones' Recent Fuck Ups, Ronda Rousey's the ONLY True STAR the Organization Has @ the Moment, in REED's Opinion...Weidman ISN'T a Star, Cain was Never a STAR, Cormier Isn't a STAR...

Conor McGregor Oooooooooozes Star Quality...

Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, Frequent ESPN Appearances, Mainstream American Endorsements; McGregor's THIS Close to Being a Certified Household Name...

REED:Bad:

5. Anthony

Motherfucker
    ALDO OUT. Mendes in.

McGregger broke aldo before even stepping in the cage.

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/keq9iZaxRsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    D simon was an asshole

8. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Dsimon did it by mistake and was apologetic, at least. Doing it and then maintaining you did nothing wrong is retarded.

I am surprised this fight is going through with Mendes. McGregor vs Aldo would do big numbers, this not so much. This fight doesn't make McGregor vs Aldo any bigger, either, imo unless McGregor wins spectacularly. It does, however, put McGregor vs Aldo at risk of even happening.

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Is it TRUE Aldo's Pulled Out of 5 Fights Now???:laugh11:...

If So, You Have to @ Least WONDER if McGregor's SPOOKED him A Bit...Maybe Aldo Wants to See McGregor-Mendes 1st, to Get an Idea of WHAT to Expect...

SHAME he'd Pull Out Soooooo Close to Fight Night Though...

REED:hammert:

10. who?

who? Undisputed Champion

i cant stand chode mendes and the whole alpha douche team i hope conor sparks him fully. after seeing mendes pretty much put to sleep at the end of the first round in aldo 2, i can see mcgregor landing a straight left and goodnight

11. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I know of 3 times Aldo has had to cancel or back out of fights with McGregor being the 4th. That being said, the dude has also defended his title twice per year with the exception of 2012 since winning the WEC belt in 2009.

That's not a bad average for a 6 year title run.

As usual though, Dana is butt hurt because his mega fight didn't happen. So he's taking the low road and slamming a champion that has faced anyone and everyone the WEC or UFC offered up. This includes his signing to fight Anthony Pettis (a fight Pettis backed out of due to injury). And I hope that White doesn't say a single word about whether Aldo's injury was serious enough for him to back out. In my opinion, if you have to miss any significant training time like Aldo has, you shouldn't fight.

I have rooted against Aldo in every single fight he's been in. I am miles away from being a fan. But it is absolute horseshit that the UFC would even consider making Mendes-McGregor for an interim title.

It's not like Aldo's been out of the cage for a year. He fought in October and he should be able to fight again in September. He is the clear champion and there is zero need for any interim bullshit.

I like many things that the UFC does, but the reactionary, unprofessional comments and decisions by Dana White are 100% bush league.

12. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

An interim title makes sense, though. Especially if you are making guys this highly ranked fight each other under these circumstances. The winner gets Aldo who will come in as the UFC champ. If Aldo cannot, you elevate the winner.

Aldo is still the clear champ right now. An interim title never changes that until and unless the champ is stripped of his title.

13. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

How about you just call it what it is? Two top contenders fighting each other.

There is no need for an interim title. It's just blatant disrespect for Aldo who just fought in October.

Not to mention, if Mendes wins, it sets up an absolute unnecessary 3rd fight between Aldo and Mendes. Without the interim title bullshit, the UFC could just pair Mendes and Edgar if Mendes wins.

You can spin it, but it's a ridiculous, reactionary, and unnecessary move by the UFC. And it can't be denied that it is at least partially motivated by Dana White being annoyed.

14. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

It's the Vince McMahon WANNABE Schtick, that Dana Simply Can't Remove Himself From...Like Calling Randy Couture a "Coward", Knowing FULL WELL he Wouldn't Say it to Couture's Face And/Or Would HIDE Behind his Authority within UFC to Diminish Randy's Desire to Retaliate...

CHICKENSHIT, Basically...

REED:baa:

15. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

In THIS Particular Instance, REED Thinks it has More to Do w/Conor McGregor, than Dana Being Annoyed...Sure, Dana IS Annoyed, but he's Also In a HURRY to Put a Belt Around McGregor's Waist...

That's the Overriding Theme Here, in REED's Opinion...

REED:hammert:

16. Anthony

Motherfucker
    The only way McGreggor would fight if it was for the Interim belt. He had The UFC in a bad spot and can call the shots.

17. Anthony

Motherfucker
    This will be aldo's 5th time pulling out of a fight. If this fight was pushed back, i bet it would have ended up in Brazil. BTW, the doctors cleared Aldo to fight.

18. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

The UFC has a card scheduled for October in Dublin. That would seem to be the ideal target rather than Brazil if the fight had been pushed back. Win or lose, McGregor will likely be on that card. If he wins, it would be tough to avoid Aldo-McGregor in Dublin.

And Aldo had not been completely cleared to fight. He still would have needed to be cleared by NSAC doctor.

But that's meaningless. At the end of the day, Aldo missed better than a week of training within 2-3 weeks of the fight. He would have been insane to go forward with the fight.

And I love the people that say "oh it's just bruised ribs." Ask any athlete that's had to do as little as run with bruised ribs and they will set you straight on Aldo's condition. It literally hurts to breath. With only 2 weeks to recover, there is absolutely no way he could have absorbed even a couple body shots.

Aldo is the UFC's longest reigning champion and is sniffing the Fedor type rarified air. So maybe not fighting hurt and not being bashful about backing out of fights is one of his secrets to success.

19. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I think it's all bullshit on his part. I honestly think he got Spooked. If the Injury is legit, and it's a big if, fine. Apparently there has been some training issues and the whole thing about Aldo's coach retiring seems like trouble. There was also word that aldo would retire after this fight. If that's the case, i would think he wants to retire in Brazil.

Again, I really dont care, but i think they put in more money to promote this fight than any fight in history. So something needed to be done to accommodate everyone. You had people flying in From Ireland and tickets cant be refunded.

20. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

Aldo should be banned
    what a bitch

Mendez is just a good a fight IMO but i really wanted to see Aldo and Mcgreggor

21. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Aldo's fought everyone and everywhere. The dude has fought on 4 continents. He's faced every top ranked featherweight over the last 6 years. It is hard for me to imagine he'd back out of a fight because he got "spooked".

Speculation.

22. LOK

LOK I'll eat your asshole alive

he knew he was about to get SODOMIZED

23. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

I'm less confident about McGregor's chances against Mendes. Maybe he'll do great against the top wrestlers, but he hasn't proven it yet. It's a risky fight.

Conor talks so much about himself, he pretty much had to take this fight. He wouldn't sound as confident if he had asked for more time to train for Mendes.

24. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Is Mendes made for McGregor?

25. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Could he really lie though? How would he get away with it? Dana would surely need proof from doctors etc, pulling out this close to a big fight isn't to be taken lightly.

26. mw314159

Mendes is one of the top two wrestlers in the division along with Edgar. McGregor hasn't fought a wrestler on that level yet. It's hard to say if he can beat one of the best wrestlers on short notice when he's been training for a mostly striking match with Aldo.

I still hope he wins. Mendes has proven himself as a top fighter but not the absolute #1 guy. Conor could end up being the #1 guy if he's as good as he thinks he is. He's going to make a huge statement here, or he's going to embarrass himself.

27. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Clearly speculation.

28. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Lie about what? The dude was medically cleared to fight. Aldo said he didnt want to. Nothing to lie about.

29. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Mendes likes to slug.

30. mw314159

It will be fun if he comes out with that attitude. The better "gameplan" might be to take Conor down and keep the fight on the ground. If he can.