Anthony Joshua v Dillian Whyte

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Now that the UK is the centre of the heavyweight Boxing Universe, it makes sense to focus on the next big fight with future implications on it...in just under two weeks:

Anthony Joshua v Dillian Whyte

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both had less than 20 fights, both got big power, both physically big guys.

Discuss / predict / break-down.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Joshua's gonna moida him to death and whyte knows it! Should be allot more exciting than saturday anyway

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Oh for sure...lot more exciting even if it goes 2-3 rounds.
    Does anyone know if Joshua has a decent chin? I know Irish is a bit skeptical of him taking a right-hand...

4. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    i guess there's no way to know about Joshua's chin until we know. I'd be surprised if whyte is the one to check it tho, I reckon this'll be over before then

5. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Whyte could be one of those guys who look better than they are. He needs to be that here, since otherwise he gets beaten up bad

6. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Whyte's confidence should be better than all of the previous Joshua opponents. Amateur fights don't mean shit but here at least it should give Whyte some optimism. And the guy does seem like he believes in himself. If he can clean up his defense he could make it interesting.

It is outrageous to see the fight odds. AJ is completely untested and the odds look no different than against Hrvoie Kisiczek... :hut: He is also the betting favorite against Fury right now.

7. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I'll definitely watch and will root for Whyte. There's something about Joshua that screams bust.

8. His_Royness

It's the hype that surrounds athletes or people who show that much promise. Look at Ronda Rousey. She was elevated to some type of extraterrestrial being and the media of course is all into that shit. They LOVE to hype people up and they love it even more to let them fall hard if a loss happens. What I don't get is that so many people time and time again believe in the hype although being proven wrong time and time again. A reasonable person would say hey wait I haven't seen enough to make a final judgement, let's not go overboard here but no that is just not how people are... :lol:

9. Haymaker

Exactly. These guys drooling over up and comers like Errol Spence and others piss me off. They're beating on bums, I'll get excited once they start beating contenders. Although in the HW division there's a blurred line between both.

10. His_Royness

Spence? I mean yeah he gets some fans excited but that is what boxing fans should be it's not like anybody is remotely close to Rousey-Hype status with the guy. It's okay to have high hopes. it would be kinda dull if everybody was like meh the dude is unproven and I don't watch him as long as he isn't fighting top10 competition.

11. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Joshua has looked fantastic against guys handpicked for him to look fantastic against. That's not a slight on him - he's done exactly what he was meant to do - but he literally hasn't been hit once in any fight he's had. I have no idea if he has good stamina, can take a shot or can fight back when the going gets even a little bit tough. I also had the pleasure of watching the lad get not one but two absolute hometown gifts en route to that Olympic 'win' in 2012 - something a fair few are happy to forget nowadays. Hoot and his cohorts have argued that he is improved since then. I suspect it's more a case of the quality of his opposition dramatically decreasing, but there we are...

None of this should matter against Whyte, because Whyte is a nothing more that a domestic level 'toughman' who Joshua should hammer if he is anywhere near as good as a fair few already think he is. At least Whyte will try to hit AJ, which is more than anyone else has done thus far.

MTF

12. meetthefeebles

Oh, and those thieving bastards are putting this crap on Sky Box Office PPV. £17 to watch two domestic fighters in a domestic fight. Fucking scandalous - I won't be paying for it, that's for certain.

MTF

13. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Of course! British Boxing is now the Centre of The Heavyweight Universe!

14. salaco

salaco Undisputed Champion

Yeah, Joshua was gifted that Olympic medal, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't exactly a golden year he faced in terms of opposition, it wasn't a great division that year

15. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I agree with a lot of what you say actually. I'm not quite ready to proclaim him the uncrowned champion yet but I have been very impressed with what I have seen thus far. I've always made the disclaimer that I need to see if he can hold a shot and if he can go the full 12.

With regards to his improvement, yes it has come against poor opposition but I think it's fairly obvious that he has made his punches more compact and is learning his trade. If you look at some of his early amateur fights (for example the one against Whyte or the one where he was stopped by that Romanian guy) he would be standing up straight with his chin in the air, swinging wildly. The improvement from then to now is immense, regardless of who he's sharing the ring with.

For the record, I thought he was very lucky to win gold in 2012 and I thought he looked wank in his pro debut, so for me to be on the bandwagon now means he's come a long way in a short time.

I think people just really want to see a quality heavyweight again who looks the part and knocks seven shades of shit out of people rather than just jabbing and holding. IF Joshua has a chin and IF his stamina holds up then he could very well be that guy. That's why people are excited and to be fair it's perfectly understandable after what we've had to sit through for the past ten years.

16. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

If not, then we have to endure 'X' years of "Get in there, Frank!"

17. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I like that: 'hoot and his cohorts'.... Makes me sound important!

Seriously his balance, footwork & punching technique are night and day since his amateur days (and his early pro fights which were against worse fighters than he's fighting now). It would hardly overstate it to say he's been taught to box in the last 3 years....he was just winging it on natural talent at the Olympics, all on the front foot, over extending on punches, moving around the ring without his feet under him. he was a mess

18. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

This is of course a risky fight for Joshua because Whyte brings confidence and power to the table. He's coming to win for sure. Whyte feels Joshua is fooling everyone with this new attitude of his, but deep down Whyte believes he knows who the real Joshua is and he wants to put him in his place, so I'm expecting quite a competitive fight for as long as it lasts, but I'm confident Joshua wins this. He is Hearn's most prized asset. There's no way Hearn would make this fight happen if he wasn't 110% sure his main man would win. There are far, far bigger fights down the road for Joshua and Hearn knows he'd make more money than he has ever made before with Joshua fighting on the World stage for major honours.

19. Jimmy

Whyte got hit a fair bit in his last fight. He'll need to sort that out against a sharp shooter like AJ.

20. BOSS

BOSS TBD

BOSS hopes Joshua's chin gets tested in this fight. That will tell BOSS if Joshua is a real deal or not.

21. Haymaker

:lol: Boss, since when you started speaking of yourself in third person?

22. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Are you insinuating BOSS sounds like a douchebag? BOSS agrees.

23. meetthefeebles

I accept that he looks good. Of course he does. He's flattening people like he is supposed to. What's his chin like, though? He's been stopped before as an ammy. What's his stamina like? He he ever fought longer than ten minutes? How will he react when someone stands up to him and hits him back? Will his 'improved' technique hold or will he start to falter? We literally have no idea about these important things. No idea at all.

MTF

24. Jimmy

It would be a catastrophe if Joshua lost to Whyte.

25. BOSS

BOSS TBD

BOSS sees odds on Whyte being 9-1. Maybe it's worth a shot.

26. Jimmy

Usually when someone asks me ''his odds are 9/1, is it worth putting a few quid on him to win?'' I normally respond by saying it's 9/1 for a reason.........but you never know.

I'm highly confident AJ beats Whyte. Maybe there's value in this going the distance as practically everyone's predicting Joshua to win by KO.

27. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Well in the last couple months alone Glowacki was 7-1, Holm was 12-1, and Fury was 5-1. You never know.

28. Jimmy

Fair point. Stick a few quid on Whyte then. Two hungry young lions going at it. Should be an entertaining fight.

29. Jimmy

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vBUNZPyVjS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whyte seemed very relaxed, Joshua seemed tense but focused.

30. BOSS

BOSS TBD

Maybe he will get David Price'd who knows. Most likely not though. How is Whyte's chin?