Best of Puerto Rico by Category

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    bullshit

I know amateur kids from the gym here who would give pacquiao a schooling. a hall of famer like steven would knock him colder than a pint of blue bell ice cream

2. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Nonsense. I've been posting on boxing forums before Floyd became a mainstream star. I'm not a boxing fan just because of Mayweather. I'm no groupie, just calling it as I see it. Mayweather is the best fighter that I've seen in the 130/135/140 divisions.

If you disagree, I challenge you to name another fighter with a better combination of the following abilities:

Defense
    Accuracy
    Stamina
    Mid-Fight Adaptability
    Ring Generalship
    Chin
    Reflexes (Defensive and Offensive)
    Overall Speed (Foot, Hand, Upper-body)
    Power (not saying he's the most powerful, but he hit hard enough)

Name a person and justify it with those attributes. For example I give Mayweather 10s (9s minimum) in most of those categories as would any OBJECTIVE observer.

3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

And for all those traits, he still arguably lost to Castillo, and didn't look so hot at 135 in general minus the Ndou fight.

Duran, Whitaker, and Chavez have to all be favored over Floyd at 135. Ike Williams as well. I'd pick Carlos Ortiz to beat him at 135 also.

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Take this shit to another thread though. It's pathetic that you attempt to turn EVERY thread into a cock stroking fest dedicated to your illiterate hero.

5. Destruction and Mayhem

You started this shit with exactly the type of thing you just posted and so that's why I continue it. Didn't matter what I did you'd accuse me of a Mayweather agenda and so since you wouldn't stop I'm going to destroy your threads with Mayweather talk. You know me by now, that's what I do, I get revenge

6. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Back on topic. Trinidad would've kicked the shit out of Floyd. Floyds too short and doesn't have the strength or stopping power to stand and roll and counter Trinidad and he didn't have the legs or range to get on the pony like Oscar.

7. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Young Trinidad at 147 would beat Floyd. At 154, I think Tito knocks him out.

8. Destruction and Mayhem

Floyd is perhaps the worst possible matchup for Tito. Floyd would move constantly and potshot and Tito is not getting through the shoulder roll. Floyd at 147 without a doubt and I'd even pick him at 154lbs. It's a matter of styles. Tito has to be set to punch.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. Bordon

At 147 and above Floyd relied on timing and positioning to potshot and counter, not constant movement and combinations like at lower weights. How Oscar fought Tito is a perfect demonstration of what Floyd couldn't do at welter to the point he had to adjust his style.

The shoulder roll is suicide against Tito and a last resort for Floyd. Trinidad's range, fast hands and combos would belt Floyd around like Maidana did, except he's not Maidana.

As the rounds went on Tito would get closer and closer and land more and more and by the time Floyd is forced to rely on the shoulder roll against a bigger, rangier, accurate, busy knockout puncher it's pretty much over for him.

10. Destruction and Mayhem

Perhaps you need to look at the Baldomir, Marquez and Canelo fights again. Mayweather was a ghost at the higher weights as well

11. Bordon

Lmao. Baldomir was a stubby journeyman, Canelo was a green stubby hype job, and Marquez was too small to even be stubby. Marquez actual hit Floyd a fair bit, the shots just had no effect and didn't take Floyd out his zone at all.

As cdogg once said, "Floyd fought Robert Guerrero like he was Julian Jackson". And he still couldn't keep him off of him. He deflected most of his punches and Guerrero couldn't change the fight with what he did land but Tito would and could.

12. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Can't see Floyd avoiding Tito for 12 rounds, especially considering that he was older, heavier, and slower of foot.

The height and reach would be a problem, and Tito had a real 12 round engine at 147 & 154 pounds. Floyd would have to reach into Trinidad's range with the right hand and his clinching tactics wouldn't work against Trinidad.

I see Floyd getting off to a good start, but by the mid rounds Trinidad's activity and pressure begin to catch the eye of the judges and Floyd will either have to run away into a defeat on the cards, or he takes more chances which opens him up to the type of powershots he received against the likes of Cotto, Maidana, and Oscar, and I couldn't imagine him doing well in that.

Trinidad via UD. And that's if Floyd doesn't get fresh in thinking he can bang with Tito.

13. Destruction and Mayhem

I know people think I'm some blind groupie, but the truth is I understand style Matchups and fight mechanics better than most of you. Too many of you are guided by bias or excitement.

Tito wasn't good at cutting off the ring. Tito had to be set to get his punches off. Tito was relatively easy to be countered. Floyd was fleet footed, one of the elite counter punchers in history and had stamina to match Tito. On top of that Floyd had a very good jab when he used it and his lead right hand was as or more effective as most fighters jabs. All in all this means that Floyd at his best gives Trinidad a tattooing and a boxing lesson. For all 12 rounds. Now some of you assume that if Tito cornered him and let his punches go that Floyd would be knocked out. That, my brothers, is utter madness.

Floyd, even in the pocket, was exceedingly difficult to hit. Perhaps y'all have forgotten. He could lay on the ropes and you still can't hit him. You see, between the cat like reflexes, the upperbody movement and the shoulder roll defense ( which was particularly effective against left hooks) you just couldn't land on him. It would have been no different versus Tito. Secondly, Floyd had a solid chin. Rock solid. Tito would have to hit that chin over and over again consistently to knock him out. One punch here and there wouldn't do it. Floyd has never officially been knocked down. His chin is in fact his most underrated attribute. People automatically assume that cutesy boxers have bad chins. But it's not always the case. Shane hit Floyd FLUSH, early in the fight when old age would be less of a factor, when Floyd was totally out of position with his chin up. People don't seem to realize that if Mayweather was to be knocked out, that would have been the punch to do it. Not only dos Mayweather mot go down but he came back at Shane and put Mosley on the defensive just seconds later. I saw Oscar nail Floyd with a flush left hook. Zab Judah caught Floyd with a flush left hand. All these mofos could punch. Maybe not as hard as Tito but hard enough to prove Floyd had a chin.

So you have robot legged Tito chasing fleet footed, statistically most defensive and accurate fighter in compubox history, who possessed equal stamina and a rock solid chin.

Logically not a winnable fight for Trinidad, and I'm a huge Trinidad fan as anyone that has posted with me for decades knows

14. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    If floyd hadn't spent the entire second half of his career studiously avoiding fighters >5'8 i'd have more confidence in picking him vs Tito.

15. Destruction and Mayhem

You've said this nonsense many times before. When did the second half of his career start and which >5'8 fighters did he studiously avoid?

You have to be talking post Oscar I'd assume since de la Hoya was 5'10. So who and when?

16. Destruction and Mayhem

The Oscar fight was at 154lbs anyway HUT so your entire point is moot.

17. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    How does that make anything moot?

18. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    you two goons dont know shit bout boxing

19. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole

floyd fought a grand total of one guy over 5'8 in 15 years and that was his golden ticket money fight (which was even on the cards after 8 before old man Oscar gassed). One way or another he managed to never fight another rangey guy. I know that shit.

20. Destruction and Mayhem

But he fought one; Oscar. And won. So he's been able to triumph over a tall guy above 147lbs. You've acted as though he never faced one. Since it's a mythical matchup you can't act like you don't know how Floyd would fare against a tall fighter at that weight, as he's already beaten one. Now after Oscar, although it's not really relevant, which tall fighter did Floyd avoid?

Btw, may be just a technicality but both Canelo and Mosley are taller than 5'8.