Best offensive fighters of all time

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I think this headline should be interpret "Fighters who were best at winning fights by starting exchanges" or such.

Thus, whether the fighter in question won because of offensive technique, punching power, punching volume or punching variety, has nothing to do with it.

Guys like Mayweather and Louis don't belong IMO, because they often waited for their opponent to start the exchange and then took advantage with defense and counters.

It is a little bit different from moving forwards in the ring too. Guys like Louis and Vitali itched forwards but forced their opponent to do the first move. It was clever strategy but doesn't make them great offensive fighters.

Guys like Holmes, Lewis and such often punched first (with their jab) but in their fights too the opponent was forced to open up first.

The first ones I could think of would be Chavez, Duran, Armstrong, Tyson, Pryor etc. obvious ones. I think Foreman belongs in too

2. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    He did attack though and was able to beat very good/great fighters by being offensive, that is why IMHO he definitely is a great offensive fighter.

If you talk about the most skillful offense ever, it is a bit different. Usually I don't participate into that (because I would start my annoying 'whatever wins is good technique' nagging)

3. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Pacquiao deserves mention

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Therefore you would also include Nigel Benn, Valero, McClellan?

5. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    I really don't know what criteria to use for this, tbh

6. Destruction and Mayhem

I would say since defense is about avoiding punishment then offense is about delivering punishment.

7. Destruction and Mayhem

Best offensive fighters are the ones who deliver the most punishment consistently. To be consistent in the delivery of punishment you have to have a good combination of power, accuracy and punch variety.

8. Destruction and Mayhem

Louis, Robinson and Tyson are perfect examples of that. Trinidad, Chavez, Pacquiao are also great examples.

9. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Robinson found offense when moving backwards against aggressive offensive fighters like Fullmer. He tops the list.

Foreman could walk forward all night throwing haymakers and never find the big one to end it.

10. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I dont think that robinsons is a perfect example. In a few of his fights, he was content to dance around and outpoint his opponents. Tyson, Pryor and a young Pacquaio are better example imo. These guys were constantly trying to decapitate their opponents (and they suceed most of the time)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  11. Jesus of montreal

Your definition lacks an important criteria, which I would call for lack of better definition violent mentality. For example, RJ had the technical and physical ability to be an atg offensive fighter, but he didn't have the mentality to engage in the kind of firefights that would have made this possible.

Also, your definition has too many needless variables. I dont think that speed, accuracy or punch variety are defining factors. What is important is the ability to constanly land hard punches. These 3 factors can help explain the latter, but they are not esentials. For example, a young pacquiao had a pretty bad punch diversity, yet it didn't really matters, since he had the speed to land repetitively with his straight left hand. As for Pryor, while his accuracy wasn't great, he was throwing so many punches that he was landing an insane amount of clean hard punches.

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Agreed. The fighter has to regard the KO or the Stoppage as something they SHOULD be going for.

But it gets fraught too, example:-

Who had the better offense, young Wlad or Manny Wlad..... I would say it was Manny Wlad.

Who was the more offensive fighter, young Wlad or Manny Wlad.........I would say young Wlad.

13. Jesus of montreal

I would say young Wlad had a better offense and was a more offensive fighter, but a think the difference between the 2 wlad is vastly exaggerated. The younger Wlad was also reluctant to throw punches against fighter he considered a threat, but he did clinch a lot less.

14. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Roy Jones!

15. Destruction and Mayhem

He's also the most KTFO'd great fighter of all time.

16. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    Still not sure I understand the question but I'm thinking Jose Napoles and manny pacquiao would rank high.

17. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Prime Roy vs. Pazienza. Or Hall. I don't think you can see much better offense anywhere in boxing history, to be honest.

Of course right now he ain't helping his legacy but what he was, was phenomenal at the very least.

18. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Grffin rematch was probably the best in terms of pure offense, as that was the only thing on Roy's mind well before he even stepped into the ring.

19. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Sly is Just Being Sly...

His Boxing SENSE and his EYES Tell Him Prime for Prime, Roy Jones was the SUPERIOR Fighter to Floyd Mayweather...But This is an UNEASY Feeling for Sly, Giving his Status as Gatekeeper to All Things Floyd, So he's Taken in Upon Himself to LASH OUT @ Roy, Whenever the Opportunity Presents Itself...

REED:hammert:

20. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:

It's difficult to properly apply the eye test when he's got Mayweather pubes for eyelashes.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

I'm the original Roy Jones fan on Boxingpress/Secondsout/Fightworld/Fightbeat. Long before you had a presence here, homie. I used to get shit for my Roy Jones fandom long time ago...so don't pretend I'm a bigger fan of Floyd than I am of Roy, ya cunt.

22. Destruction and Mayhem

Sly's dissing Duran because people say he's better than Floyd
    Sly's dissing Leonard because people say he's better than Floyd
    Sly's dissing Jones because people say he's better than Floyd

Y'all need to grow up and get some new material.

Oh and might I add....motherfuckers.

23. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

You're PROVING REED's Point for Him, Dumbfuck...

Despite Whatever Fandom You've SHOWN Towards Roy In the Past, NOW You Readily Take Shots @ him, When he's Down...That's Some Weak, Turncoat, Fairweather, Dick Hopping BULLSHIT...

REED:FU!:

24. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

No, YOU Need to Dislodge Floyd Mayweather's NUTS from the Inside of Your Jaw...

YOU Bring Him Into EVERY Thread...YOU Start Topics for the SOLE Purpose of Inserting Floyd Into It...Despite How Much You ADMITTEDLY Bring to the Site, in the Way of Boxing Conversation, You always, Always, ALWAYS Find a Way to Bring Floyd Into the Shit....

REED:shit #2:

25. Destruction and Mayhem

No, you need to shut the fuck up and know your place, cunt. I don't bring him into every thread, it's fucks like you that bring him into every thread that I'm participating in. The irony is, your tongue is so far up Roy's ass that when he opens his mouth he has two tongues. You are in no position to call anyone else a nuthugger.

Besides as i said before, if I criticize any fighter some idiot (such as yourself in this case) feels the need to insert Floyd into the fray.

In conclusion bring your shit to other posters here but don't think about coming after me with this shit.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

Dumbfuck? I find your lack of respect disturbing. I'll leave it be for now, and wont attack back, but don't push it.

I'm no turncoat...I'm just calling it as it is. If Floyd were to continue fighting and got knocked the fuck out every time and continued to display a lack of heart, I would call it out too. It's not being a "turncoat" it's being genuine. If you're objective, you have to call out the good and the bad.

27. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Roy was far more offensively talented than Floyd, that's for sure.

28. Destruction and Mayhem

I agree.

29. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED's "Place" is WHEREVER the Fuck he WANTS It To Be, Scrub...You Haven't NOR Will You EVER Have Any Fucking Bearing On that, Capisce???...

Who was the 1st Person to Bring Floyd Into THIS Thread???...REED's Point, Exactly...

Make NO Mistake, REED IS "Coming" At You w/This Shit...Why, Because the Shoe FITS...You Went from Roy's Nuts to Floyd's, Only Now You're Going Out of your Way to DISS Roy in the Process...Like REED Said, that's Pure, Unadulterated Turncoat, Fairweather, Dick Hopping BULLSHIT...

REED:hammert:

30. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

SPARE REED Your Lame, Weak Ass Threats, Sly...

If You're Feeling "Attacked", DO Something About It...If You're Feeling Froggy, JUMP...Just Duly Note The Following:

A. REED Plays for KEEPS, Homey
    B. YOU were the 1st to Step Out of Line w/the NameCalling, Labeling REED a "Cunt"...

No, CLEARLY, You're a TURNCOAT, FAIRWEATHER Motherfucker...Royness Simply Mentioned Roy's Name in this Thread and YOU Responded w/Unsolicited NEGATIVITY In Regards to a Fighter You SUPPOSEDLY Cut For "on Boxingpress/Secondsout/Fightworld/Fightbeat"...But Now that he's Getting Bounced Off the Canvas, it's OPEN SEASON on Roy Jones, Even from his So-Called FANBASE???...

Not!!!
    :nono:...

If Someone ASKS REED about the Current State of Roy, REED has NOfuckingPROBLEM Being OBJECTIVE in his Response...But You'll NEVER See REED Going OUT of his Way to Be Negative Towards the Cat, Especially in a Situation as UNfuckingWARRANTED as Yours Was...

But Hey, We're All ADULTS Here & You have EVERY Right to Say What You WANT to Say...Just Don't Portray Yourself as a TRUE Fan of Roy Jones, because a TRUE Fan Wouldn't Voluntarily Talk SHIT about Him Like That...

"Like I Said Before", Don't Get Your T.B.E. Hat or Team Mayweather T-Shirt Bent Out of Shape...Just DON'T Call Yourself a TRUE Fan of Roy Jones, Either....

REED:mj: