Best virtuoso boxing clinics

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Feb 6, 2018.

1. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

'Clinic' my hole. Championship fights last 12 rounds, not 7.

MTF

2. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    You saying that was a 7-5 fight?

3. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    According to 2/3 judges it was.

7-5 doesn't really describe the bout well as Ward controlled the action easily and Froch never took over even though Ward took his foot off the pedal a bit, but it wasn't anywhere near a shutout as most fights mentioned in this thread were

4. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Yeah Stinger was a funny guy. One thing though...he would have knocked YOU the fuck out. I heard he used to eat skinny little introverted wimps for breakfast.

5. meetthefeebles

Correct. Ward absolutely beat the shit out of Froch for seven rounds. Everyone remembers that. It was very impressive: probably Ward's best performance IMO. What no-one bar the judges seemed to notice was the Froch won at least four of the last five rounds. He didn't win them as emphatically as Ward won his, but he won them, and by the end Ward was backpeddling hard and looking fairly ragged.

At no stage did Ward look likely to lose, and Froch has no case to say he won the fight, but he won at least four rounds. I scored it 7-5 at the time and was surprised that the judges did too but hardly anyone else did. People were so dazzled by that first seven rounds (and Ward won them all, no question about it) that they stopped watching the fight.

MTF

6. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

that's true. But as a big Froch fan, it's a bit comprehensible, since it never looked like he was taking the fight over.

7. meetthefeebles

The fight is a good example of the pros and cons of the 10-point must scoring system. Scored against that criteria, it was a clear 8-4 or 7-5 fight: only one round was really contentious and the rest were clear wins for one or the other guy. But 7-5, although the correct score IMO, makes the fight seem closer than it actually was. It was as comprehensive a 7-5 win as you could see.

It was not, however, a 'clinic'. Fighters who lose four or five rounds have not put on a clinic. Not for an entire fight. The first seven rounds certainly were. The whole fight was not.

MTF

Irish likes this.
  8. meetthefeebles

I'll also add this. Ward gets a lot of benefit of the doubt for 'taking his foot off the gas' after seven and coasting to the win. He must have known he just had to see the fight out through seven; as I say, he won them very big (at least one of the rounds could have been a no-knockdown 10-8 round). It would have been interesting to see how the fight panned out over the old championship distance, to see just how much Ward was coasting, as opposed to Froch doing what he always did, relying on his excellent stamina to finish strongly.

MTF

9. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

But Calzaghe vs Lacy was just that, a textbook dismantling by a guy who knew how to box-fight.

10. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Yep. The simple truth is that Froch was initially outboxed but not outfought and no where near to being overwhelmed. It ended with Ward holding, spitting out his gumshield and basically blowing out of his arse for the last 2-3 rounds. Ward won, clearly, but it was no total masterclass.

11. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Nobody coasts in boxing, not really. There are certain fights, like Barney Ross vs Henry Armstrong where a sort of "contract" is entered into, a la "I won't try too hard if you don't try too hard". Or Mosley vs Forrest where one guy has basically conceded defeat and it settles into a routine. Those are exceptions. Winning boxers only coast when the loser is coasting too.

Guys coast in the 100m Heats at a track race when they don't need their best time or they got the place in the final already wrapped up. Nobody coasts when the other guy is actively punching them in the nose.

Coasting at that level involves being punched in the face by the other guy because you are coasting. No matter what, not if you win 11 of 12 rounds, nobody tolerates being punched in the snout by somebody like Froch if they can do anything about it.

It's not like Rugby where you can give away a few soft tries or penalties because you know it's in the bag. When you give up rounds, you give up teeth.

When people say Ward took his foot off the gas, it's more a case of Froch putting his foot on the fucking gas because he had to, and Ward not really being able to do too much about it at that very very late stage.

It's like saying Taylor took his foot off the gas vs Froch in the 11th and 12th. No. He got hit in the face.

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

I don't think so. It was Ross vs Armstrong. Roy wanted to not get KO'd again.

13. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Just to fuck everyone off and also because it's true.......Vitali vs Sam Peter. I don't think Peter landed a punch of note all night and was hit by just about every shot in the book, lost every round and quit, with his face a mess. He had never been stopped before and Vitali never held once.

14. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Calzaghe-Kessler.

I think that one was even better than the Lacy fight. Joe had to make adjustments and when he took over, he never looked back.

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Yeah but he lost 3-4 rounds. Clinics should be 1-12.

16. Jesus of montreal

Lol, if claz-kessler is a clinic, then pretty much every décision that is not controversial is one

It was a very good win, almost a great one, but a clinic it wasnt

17. Jesus of montreal

Thread ask for fights that wen the distance

18. Jesus of montreal

This is absurdity at its finest. There s numerous occurence of a fighter coasting when he has the fight in the bag

19. Jesus of montreal

Im as big a froch fan as you can be, but he was overwhlemed in the first half of the fight

20. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I was going to mention recent fights by Vasyl Lomachenko but noticed it has to go to points.
    But if 'clinics' are anything to go by - he's the man.

21. Destruction and Mayhem

Some of the best clinics are ones that didn't go the distance. Mayweather vs Corrales/Gatti and Jones vs Richard Hall...spring to mind. Those fights were master class performances. Also Ali-Patterson 1, Ali-Liston 1. To perform a complete shut out of another fighter in a championship fight a guy has to have top class defensive mastery.

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

What about clinic/masterclass against great opposition with no disadvantages?
    e.g. Corrales was weight-drained, Gatti just a punch-bag, Hall was shit, etc

23. Destruction and Mayhem

What like how Rigodeaux was old and undersized and the previous opponents were shit etc?

24. Jesus of montreal

Agreed about Rigondeaux, but not Walters. The guy was a good solid fighter and he got dismantled by Loma

25. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

I don’t remember people claiming that he was old and undersized before the fight. Many had Rigo as the favorite.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

I don't recall people saying that Corrales or Canelo were weight drained either. It goes both ways.

27. Double L

Double L Book Reader

In corrales' case they certainly were. Guy had been slated to move up to 135 but was suddenly on his way to prison and tjen facing pbf at 130.

Xplosive likes this.
  28. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    You can argue about the credence of the claim if you like but there's no question there were people talking about Corrales' weight going into that fight

29. Destruction and Mayhem

Fair enough