Black Panther initial reactions from World Premier...

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Destruction and Mayhem, Jan 30, 2018.

1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Just saw it and I thought it was okay. It wasn’t one of the better Marvel films like Iron Man, Winter Soldier or Avengers. I’d lump it in with the also rans like Ant Man and Doctor Strange.

I think one failure of the film was the unnecessary inclusion of the entire Claw character arc and the stolen vibranium which I’m not even sure they ever recovered. I think the story would have flowed better had they gone more in depth on Killmonger and other story arcs.

The biggest disappointment I had with the film was the terrible fight scenes. IMO Winter Soldier and the early scenes in Civil War set the bar for fight scenes involving “enhanced” super heroes. The one on one fights were underwhelming not to mention due to bad direction and cinematography I couldn’t clearly make out some of the moves and during other sequences the fights looked too slow and choreographed.

The best thing about the film was probably the performance of Michael B Jordan as Killmonger. At times he can come off like an average actor but I think that has more to do with his vocal delivery as his charisma is what really sets him apart.

6/10.

BOSS likes this.
  2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

So lb4lb basically re-confirms everything I predicted about this movie without even having to go and see it.

6/10 compared to what everyone raving about this movie is 'below average'

3. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Oh yeah. Another regret I had was, for weeks I was planning on doing my best Black Panther impersonation by going to the theater decked out in black jeans, black sweat shirt and black timberlands. Anyway when the day came I put on some random (albeit nice) outfit and didn’t remember my plan til I was on the road. Oh well there’s always the sequel.

4. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I did went all dressed in black...as many others did too!

5. Panchyprsss

Wait til Sly reads your review! LOL

6. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    It's a good movie. I just don't get how it's being placed on a pedestal. It's not even in the top 5 comic book movies in the past 5 years. I mean think even Ant Man was better.

8. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

The strength of the film is in the overall story and the acting. The fight scenes could have been better but to be honest with you NO superhero film can compare with Winter Soldier or Civil War when it comes to fight scenes.
    But the overall origin story of Wakanda, the character development, The understanding of Wakadan culture (for example the way the King has to accept a challenge if he wishes to be on the throne), the conflicted loyalties of the major characters, the balance between being a king and being a warrior, the internal politics of the different tribes and the classic story of a deposed king coming back from the dead to claim the throne....were all great points about this film and it went deeper than most marvel films have.

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Claw was a Necessary Tie-In for Several Reasons....T’Challa’s Best Friend’s 1 Wish Was That Claw’s Dead Body Be Brought to Him...When Black Panther FAILED to Do This, yet Kill Monger ACHIEVED it, he Instantly Won the Allegiance of T’Challa’s Best Friend...

Claw Introduced the Special Agent Dude to Wakanda, and Claw’s Description was Confirmed when the Special Agent Eventually Got to Wakanda...

Claw’s Inclusion Also Illustrated Just How RUTHLESS Kill Monger Was...There was Really NO Reason for Claw to Die, Other Than Kill Monger’s Built-In Ideology...And When Claw Used Kill Monger’s Girlfriend to Shield Himself, Kill Monger Killed Her Just for the Fuck of It...

Though it was Never Addressed, REED Thinks it’s Understood Kill Monger was in Possession of the Vibranium, After Killing Claw, Which he Brought Back to Wakanda Himself...

The Only Fight Scene REED Found Underwhelming was the Panther vs Panther Scene...One Had Purple Tint, the Other Had Orangish Tint, so the Viewer Could Barely Differentiate...All the Other Fight Scenes Held Up Though, in REED’s Opinion...The Scene Where Kill Monger Challenged for the Throne was a Damn Good, Unpredictable Fight Scene and the Bald Sista with the Spear was a Badass Throughout the Film...

Michael B. Stole the Film for Sure, as Do Most Villains When Juxtaposed with a Righteous, Goody 2-Shoes Hero...They’ll Definitely Need to Re-Work Him into Future Black Panther Films...

REED:cool:

10. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Faaaaaaaaaar Tooooooo Often In Super Hero Films, Fight Scenes are Reduced to Downtown New York, Metropolis or Wherever Being Reduced to Rubble...

It’s Become Cliched and REED Found Black Panther to Be a Welcomed Change of Pace in that Regard...

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

It’s Only Being Placed On Pedastals By Those it RESONATES With...

Just Like Any Other Superhero Flick...

12. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]
    Black Panther
    remains king of the box office for the fifth straight week, a feat no other film has accomplished since Avatar. T'Challa clawed its way to $27 million and in the process passed the $600 million mark domestically, the seventh film to reach that number, and is only $18 million shy from surpassing The Avengers to become Marvel's highest grossing film ever. Internationally it added another $30 million which now puts its worldwide grosses at $1.183 billion, besting Captain America: Civil War $1.152 billion total.

In the second place Tomb Raider debuted performing exactly as expected with $23.5 million which is still way below the debut of Angelina Jolie's 2001 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" which at that time took $47.7 million. But don't feel so bad about this new film as it performed better overseas with $104 million placing the $94 million reboot on track for profit with a current $127.3 million globally in just three days.

The biggest surprise of the week is the strong debut of the Faith-Based film I Can Only Imagine which contrary to all predictions landed in the third spot with $17 million. Industry & media predictors were expecting this film to do decent with like $9 million as the big studio LGBTQ friendly Love, Simon was expected to best it with over $12 million (it took $11.5 million in the fifth spot). The Christian film once again proved it does better business than Gay friendly films...and Oprah, as it also bested A Wrinkle in Time sophomore week which took the fourth spot with $16.5 million. And 'I Can Only Imagine' not only cost a fraction of the budget of those films, but debuted in fewer screens too which makes its accomplishment more significant. Audiences loved it with an A+ CinemaScore rating with a 67% of its audience female and 80% over the age of 35.

[​IMG]

13. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Black Panther surpassed Avengers as the highest grossing superhero film in history.

14. Panchyprsss

...domestically with $630.9 million vs prior record holder 'The Avengers' $623 million. Worldwide it ranks #3 behind the two Avengers films.

Finally in its sixth week 'Black Panther' was pushed out of the top spot by Pacific Rim Uprising which opened with $28 million. While that number is lower than the prior film's debut numbers ($37 million), we all know this is a film that was greenlight with the China market in mind since the first film performed so well there it saved it from becoming a box office bomb. And China audiences supported this sequel as it had a better opening than the first one with $65 million weekend gross. Worldwide total for this sequel on this opening weekend is $150 million. While not epic numbers, that is great news for the $150 million budget film. If it performs similar to the first one it will show a nice profit...but the first one wasn't going to be followed by 'Avengers Infinity War' which definitely will cut into the screens and box office of this film.

Holding strong in the third spot and expanding to more screens as word-of-mouth keeps growing, the Christian-Faith-based film I Can Only Imagine took $13.8 million or just a tiny 19% drop from last week. the film has now grossed $38 million in just ten days. Not bad for a $7 million budget film.

Sherlock Gnome debuted with a so-so $10.6 million which will not set the world on fire for the $59 million film.

And crashing hard on its sophomore week, Tomb Raider dropped from the second spot to the fifth with $10.4 million. Proving that Alicia Vikander is not box office magnet like Angelina Jolie and that this franchise is dead.

Other notable debut was Paul, Apostle of Christ which opened according to expectation numbers with $5 million in the 8th spot. The $5 million budget film will probably benefit from the Easter weekend and will show a decent albeit small profit before it gets pushed out of cinemas.
    [​IMG]

15. r o o s t e r

r o o s t e r "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I knock motherfuckers out
    finally saw the movie, in 3D, here in China. certainly not the best or one of the best superhero movies, but the movie is at least interesting.

i think that, unusually for most movies, this movie has a special audience, which i guess is what reed was getting at. that special audience is black people in the US & other western countries, where they generally have higher-than-average rates of crime & unemployment, & lower life expectancy & earnings. in that way it's unusual, & you can kinda see why all those white middle-aged critics didn't really know how to properly engage with it in their reviews

the plot obviously became unravelled after about an hour, & things were happening that were supposed to bear some emotiional impact, but there just hadn't been enough time & substance beforehand to help establish that impact with the audience

overall, thought it was a good, interesting movie, partly just because it's doing something original

16. BazookaJ

BazookaJ WBC Champion

Good movie. Not as good as some of the earlier films and the action isn’t as good as the more silly later films. But overall it’s definitely one of the better comic films. I probably won’t watch it a dozen times like Spider-Man 2, X2, Thor, etc but I’ll probably watch it again without just looking at my phone until the fight scenes like Winter Soldier, Civil War, etc

17. Panchyprsss

Very telling if you were looking at your phone during The Winter Soldier and Civil War...

18. BazookaJ

BazookaJ WBC Champion

Those films had good action but they were garbage as movies, even by comic book standards. The dialogue is either horribly written and recited by an actor using “serious face” or it’s pure exposition.

All of the films that preceded them set up the pay off of the 45 minute action sequences but that was the payoff. And bucky just looks like a fucking idiot.

19. Panchyprsss

Dude, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is considered the Marvel film with the most intelligent plot, a throwback to the political thrillers of the 70s. Nothing short of a great film. And Captain America: Civil War is a better than the two Avengers films that preceded it. It introduced Black Panther, it brought (finally) Spider-Man to the MCU, and yes, the action is awesome. Those are the two Marvel films that I never get tired watching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. BazookaJ

BazookaJ WBC Champion

It’s the kind of ‘intelligent plot’ they put in video games so 14 year olds can feel cerebral and mature. No grown man should actually be impressed with it.

I like the films I mentioned because they didn’t try to over extend themselves or appeal to some concept the audience pretends to know or care about. They were good fantasy/action movies on their own merit.

21. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Unfortunately, we're dealing with such retards who are impressed with them - namely paedoprsss and Dickstruction & Homo-haterhem

22. Panchyprsss

you should not talk with your mouth full...of cock!

23. Panchyprsss

[​IMG]

Black Panther just surpassed Titanic domestic numbers and now is the third highest grossing film of all time.

24. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Yeah, and??

25. Panchyprsss

Fag

26. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I just saw this ... and just couldnt get into it at all. It was like some starwars movie (which i cant stand), mixed with superhero movie (that i cant stand) but with even less plot and character substance (the main character was boring AF). I literally got up and walked out of the theatre, half-way through. The only good part was some of the booty shaking scenes in Wakanda. That was literally it for me.

2/10.

27. r o o s t e r

R-A-C-I-S-T

28. r o o s t e r

michael b jordan's performance lived up to all the hype, at least. man's brilliant. forest whitaker good too

29. Panchyprsss

I am sure you didn't watched it. First why would you go watch something from two genre's you plain hate? Second, there wasn't ANY booty shaking scenes in Wakanda...nor any other part of the film. That tells right there that you made up this review...

R-A-C-I-S-T!!!

30. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Yeah there was. It was brief but it was enjoyable. The rest plain sucked. I’d rather endure the shrill cries of racism than sit through that horseshit. And yeah it 2 genres i dont like but occasionally theres something I can sit through from them, this wasn’t it..