BREAKING NEWS!! Jon Jones has been Stripped of Title And Suspended Indefinitely. Cormier/Rumble fo

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Anthony, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    One thing is for Cetain. When Sonnen said this fight wouldnt happen, he was right on the money. this was like 2 months ago.

2. Anthony

Motherfucker
  3. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Sonnen must have seen Jones going off the rails way back. I imagine a lot of stuff gets hushed up unless it's too big.

4. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Because a lot of people lost a lot of money because the card was cancelled. That's pretty much the main reason.

TFK

5. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Word is that Jones left some coke in his Hotel room and it got back to sonnen

6. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

Most people don't care about that now. It was an unpopular thing for Jones to do at the time. It was such an obvious mismatch. He would have won over a lot of fans without much risk if he had fought Sonnen on short notice. It's not a major thing.

Obviously cheating for his last fight (from the testosterone / epitestosterone tests), testing positive for cocaine when he talks about ratting out pot smokers in school, things like that tend to make someone unlikeable. Getting drunk and crashing his car, then doing it again and actually injuring someone, that's more of an actual crime. Not that he was trying to do something wrong; he just made stupid choices.

I'm still a huge fan of him as a fighter. He's clearly the best fighter of this era. We can speculate about his chances at heavyweight, but no one at heavyweight has accomplished what he has at light heavyweight. He will be back in the UFC at some point in the next few years if he doesn't fuck things up again.

7. TKO

TKO Administrator Staff Member

Jones is another sports man who got too much too soon. He really needs to get his ass kicked, it will be good for him

8. SilentNight

SilentNight Undisputed Champion

No

9. SilentNight

I'm the guy who is the loudest about the UFC overstepping their boundaries and playing the PC police, but quite frankly I disagree with you.

If this was his first incident you'd have a point, but between the DUI, getting popped for cocaine pre fight and this you clearly have to take some sort of action.

10. SilentNight

This is just another showcase on why it is nearly impossible to do what Anderson Silva did.

11. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Do peds?

12. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

Jones could have beaten Anderson's record if he had focused on fighting and not doing stupid shit in his personal life. He could still beat the record unofficially. "Most consecutive wins in title fights" instead of "most consecutive title defenses".

That's if he even fights again. He has to get his personal life figured out first.

13. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    mw you still fight bro?

14. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Well of course, but that's kind of the point :lol:

Obviously a big part of staying on top is the extreme discipline required.

A big part of why Floyd is still undefeated IMO, is the sheer discipline and dedication he has. Always training well, always taking opponents seriously etc. No taking things for granted, no partying instead of training, blowing up between fights, etc etc.

15. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

LOL

16. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Exactly. Whether you like or dislike Floyd, you cannot deny that the guy is dedicated to his craft.

17. SilentNight

Exactly....even GSP got a gift decision in his last fight and then retired short of Anderson's record.

If Jose Aldo doesn't break it I think that record might last a long time, and that's saying even more to the fact that every single win in that winning streak was 100 percent decisive.

Which, actually, already is more than you can say for Jones since I'd say at least 35 percent of the MMA world think Gustaffson beat him.

The only thing to really stop Anderson was age, the guy was a complete freak when it came to fighting talent and mental toughness. I don't see that in any other fighter, Jones is the closest but he's clearly got his demons outside of the cage.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  18. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

So how much do you think a weak MW division helped with Silva's title reign?

Other than a 38 year old Henderson, Rich Franklin is probably the best fighter Silva beat during his reign. Maybe Belfort.

Nevertheless, it's not an eye popping list of names.

But then when you look at Jones and run off the list of former champions that he absolutely embarrassed like Machida, Rua, Evans, Belfort, Rampage or Cormier, it doesn't stack up too badly versus Silva.

As MWS said, keeping your shit together and staying consistent with training and discipline is a major part of a reign like Silva's. So he wins in that department.

19. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Umm, didn't Floyd do time for beating up women? He's no more disciplined outside the ring then Jones, except Jones seems to need drugs to do dumb shit, whereas Floyd's cuntedness is a genetic trait handed down from father to son.

20. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

A huge part of being disciplined involves NOT taking drugs or any other shit that could affect you in the ring/octagon.

21. SilentNight

Not sure why you named a bunch of old washed up fighters, or a blown up Middleweight rather than the actual impressive win on his resume like Cormier, Glover and Gustaffson. It's easy to play the hindsight game with guys, but Rampage, Evans and Rua clearly were not at their best when Jones fought them, or afterword. Lyoto was a great win.

But I would agree that Jones has faced a generally better division, largely because MMA is bigger now and isn't siphoned into two major organizations anymore.

I do take issue however, with the idea that GSP or particularly Fedor had resumes that were notably better....GSP's reputation of his resume is largely due to UFC overhype of a ton of fighters, and looking back at what those fighters accomplished it's easy to see a lot of them were just super one dimensional hypejobs that never really had success after GSP beat them...

Thiago Alves is a huge example of a guy the UFC overhyped to the moon and really was a mediocre fighter at best I wouldn't even rate higher than a Middleweight Demian Maia win.

So what Im saying I don't think the division was weak so much as it was an average level of general competition for that era.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  22. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Anthony- Who you taking in the Title fights tomorrow?

23. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    "Dude, I don't have a drug problem, I just got caught." -JJ