Carmen Basilio vs. Gil Turner - 10-round war

Discussion in 'Fight Videos' started by Ring Leader, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Undisputed Champion

10-round non-title fight during the WW title reign of Basilio. The champ receives 10 rounds of stubborn resistance from this crowd-pleasing, all-action contender.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

Carmen Basilio v Gil Turner

Excellent and very competitive fight - that competitiveness is not reflected in my scorecard, though. The judges in this one couldn't decide - one had it 7-2 in rounds (as I did) to Basilio, another had it a closer 5-3 and the other had it 5 rounds apiece, which I think is overly generous to Turner. Not that he didn't have his moments and I did make half of the rounds close, but the rounds I scored for Basilio I was more confident in giving to him. He kept the momentum up throughout and I thought his punches were having a little more impact than Turner's.

1 10-9
    2 9-10 (close)
    3 10-9 (close)
    4 10-9
    5 10-9
    6 9-10 (close)
    7 10-9 (close)
    8 10-10 (good back and forth)
    9 10-9
    10 10-9

Basilio 98-93 Turner

Ring Leader likes this.
  3. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Nice find!

I love the way Gavilan took apart Turner.

George Crowcroft and Ring Leader like this.
  4. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Leap-Amateur

Welterweight champion Carmen Basilio narrowly edged out a majority choice over Gil Turner, Philadelphia, of their 10-round non-identify fight Wednesday night. Basilio suffered an eye-fixed reduction that required stitches from Turner's continual jabbing inside the early rounds. The fight changed into a bruising conflict.

5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

https://boxrec.com/wiki/index.php/Carmen_Basilio_vs._Gil_Turner

"Welterweight champion Carmen Basilio narrowly edged out a majority decision over Gil Turner, Philadelphia, in their 10 round non-title fight Wednesday night. Basilio suffered an eye cut that required stitches from Turner's persistent jabbing in the early rounds. The fight was a bruising battle.

:Jest:

Makes me wonder why a bot would change non-title to "non-identity" and eye cut to "eye-fixed reduction".