Danny Garcia vs Ricky Hatton @ 140

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Xplosive, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

yeah, but Lazcano was far from a bad fighter, and Hatton already shown, even before the Mayweather fight, that his chin was far from granite. Even the way he got koed by Mayweather showed he had a pretty bad chin. Nobody was getting koed by PBF at welter, only guys that were koed during his title reign were Hatton, and shitty quitter Sosa (who quit more than anything else). Not exactly a proof of his durability. Yeah he took some rather good shots from Tszyu, but Tzsyu was a very overrated puncher.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Your point is taken, but you mean Victor ORTIZ he KO'd, not Sosa.

Victor SOSA actually went the distance with Floyd, in what was probably Floyd's worst performance. He looked horrible in the Sosa fight. So bad that after that there were talks of Mayweather-Tszyu, and everybody believed Tszyu would kill him.

Going back to Hatton... he never had a Chavez chin, that's for damn sure. By I think it was decent enough prior to running into that check hook and hitting the ring post.

That KO wasn't so much about Floyd's power. It was Hatton already being fatigued, and running into a beautifully timed punch WHILE IN MID AIR. Of course he was KO'd.

3. Jesus of montreal

just re-watched the 10 rounds of the Lazcano. Forgot how outrageous that was. But to be honest, I don't think Hatton was in that much trouble

Edit: yeah, of course I meant the Ortiz fight, since the Sosa fight was at 135. My mistake

4. Xplosive

If you wanna go back to this fight, Garcia could hurt Hatton. But I think Garcia's power is overrated when you considering he's never stopped anybody with a decent chin.

Garcia has a grand total of 3 nice KO's - Khan (nuff said), the CORPSE of Morales in their rematch, and that midget bum Rod Salka.

Garcia has pop, but some people make it seem like he has the left hook of Trinidad.

I think Hatton could have handled his power.

How Garcia handles Hatton's hook to the body might be a better question.

5. Jesus of montreal

I think that Garcia has incredible power with his left hook. The one he koed Morales with would have took down a skyscrapper. But to do so, he has to throw it wide, and have his feet firmly planted on the ground. He's not able to throw it quickly and with power. I think Hatton is quick enough on his feet and agile enough, to avoid it.

6. Xplosive

Incredible is too strong an adjective for Garica's hook.

An "incredible" hook is Bob Foster, Ray Robinson, or Pipino Cuevas.

Garcia hit Malignaggi with everything but the sink and stopped him on his feet. Hit Robert Guerrero with everything but the sink, and never seriously hurt.

Where was his incredibly powerful hook then?

7. Jesus of montreal

THat's what i'm saying. He's not able to throw it quick enough to land it with force against decent opposition. When he fights scrubs (or when he can only win with his power, as in the Khan fight), he dig a lot more with his left hook. For example the Salka ko, where he almost killed him. He's not able to land this kind of punch against decent opposition, cause he's not dynamic enough. When he fights better fighter, he shorten his left hook up, and doesn't set his feet as much. That's why I think his power wouldn't be much of an issue against Hatton, cause hatton would quick feet (and hugging)would make it impossible for Garcia to set his feet solidly.

Of course, he's not in the category of Foster or Cuevas, but his left hook is still a very potent punch

8. Xplosive

He hit Guerrero with some full force left hooks with his feet fully planted. Guerrero went nowhere.

The reason he KO'd Salka is because Salka is a club fighter who was GROSSLY undersized. Dude looked like he belonged at 130.

9. Jesus of montreal

Guerrero is not an easy guy to KO to be honest

10. Xplosive

Thurman hurt Guerrero plenty.

Thurman himself is a good puncher, but no incredible power there either. But for my money, Thurman's hook packs more heat than Garcia's.

Neither guy is an "incredible" puncher.

Tito was the last welterweight who can be described as an incredible puncher.

11. Jesus of montreal

This I agree with

12. Azazel

Azazel "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Lol, Khan ain't all that, but this is simply ridiculous

13. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I was never sold on Hatton so I'll pick Garcia.

14. Double L

Double L Book Reader

would be a good fight. i think garcia's no. 1 priority would be figuring out a way to deal with hatton's incessant holding. if he could do that (or has a ref who immediatel breaks them), he most certainly wins.