1. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

Ye soond like a man who kens too much.

Ah don wanna spoil the film for yous, but there's no umpty candy (Otto Sump does has a shop or two in the backgroond), Walter or 'Call-Me-Kenneth' (there is some 'Kenny Who?' grafitti).

Don' let these facts get ye doon like a big bufty, though. The film stacks up (despite a lower budget than '95 version) and does have a wee bit of a 'block war' feel tae it, at times, especially when the big guns open up. Stop yer havering and get on wi watching the film! Ye'll love it.

On the Judge Dredd theme, ya ken that we Scots have had massive input on the man an the myth, check oot this article 'Scotland's Influence on Judge Dredd'. He shouldae been called 'Jock Dredd':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19014995

Aye, Ah also believe Judge Dredd is a Rangers fan.

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    budget dont mean shit if done right.

3. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I'm sorry Anthony - can't agree with you there. Having a big-budget is obligatory when making these types of movies today:
    The Dark Knight Rises - $230 million
    The Avengers - $220 million
    The Amazing Spider-Man - $230 million
    Prometheus - $130million
    Total Recall - $125 million
    The Bourne legacy - $125 million
    The Expendables II - $100 million

Dredd = $45 million
    That's fucking art-house budget.

It's got to be fucking 'Blade-Runner' awesome, with that piffling amount spent on it.

4. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You can disagree with me all you want. But i will again refer you to Equilibrium. With a Budget of 20 million, it produced a very Good movie. I told you about this movie before and i can see you still havent seen it. A good movie has shit to do with a Budget. You have a good script, good actors and a good storyline and you can throw everything else out.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZVDiaYQXBVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You can disagree with me all you want. But i will again refer you to Equilibrium. With a Budget of 20 million, it produced a very Good movie. I told you about this movie before and i can see you still havent seen it. A good movie has shit to do with a Budget. You have a good script, good actors and a good storyline and you can throw everything else out.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZVDiaYQXBVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Well, Im gonna go and see it next weekend anyway.
    I grew up with Judge Dredd....from Day #1, actually...so I'll review next week.

7. Anthony

Motherfucker
    BTW, have you seen Moon? great Sci Fi movie. Budget was 5 million

8. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Dredd is getting some unbelievable ratings on Rottentomatoes

9. Steve-Dingo

Steve-Dingo Wizard of Oz

Anthony, maybes you can explain tae Dark Patch a wee bit better if ye explained the budget concept in slap terms? If ye will indulge me...

If Ah paid yer £9 tae slap cdogg, ye may not fully understand ma reasoning or have the enthusiasm necessary tae fully commit to the slap or even respect the traditions surrounding it.

Whereas, if Ah paid ye £4.50 to slap Hurree Jamset Ram Singh (Aka Hanz) it would be, Ah suspect, a project ye could fully endoorse and would undoobtdely backhand him intae next week wi full approval from all critics.

10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Fell asleep after 45 mins....didnt bother with a re-watch.

11. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Just because you CAN do a movie on a small budget doesn't mean you should. Sure Equilibrium was a good not great movie but at times you could feel the budget cuts and cheapness of the film. When it comes to sci-fis set in the future IMO you need a big budget.

Now I'm sure the Dredd creators couldn't get any more money from the financers who wisely figured this film is risky. The first one flopped even with Stallone and most people never heard of Dredd or even seen one of his comics before. That said if a film is low budget I got no problem with that. In most cases I'd say it would make the film better because then you focus on story, pace, dialogue but then that is the recipe for a drama and this film is an action sci-fi. So yeah it may be good, hell it may even be great but just like with Equilibrium you'll be left wondering how much better it would be with a big budget.

Best case scenerio is this does great numbers wise and critics wise and they green light a big budget sequel.

12. Pagan

Pagan Leap-Amateur

District 9 had a $30 million budget, and it certainly didn't look cheap. I think it helps a lot with the budget if the film doesn't have big stars and the director only uses CGI effects where it's necessary.

13. Anthony

Motherfucker
    i disagree with most of this. I will explain why later. Dont have time now, but just want you to know an ass chewing is coming.

14. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

But this movie was utter shit. :scratcher:

15. Anthony

Motherfucker
    You are in the minority there

16. lb 4 lb

:lol:

And at the same time :34:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  17. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Excellant movie! :bears:

Im not usually proved wrong, but on thos occasion, I don't mind.
    As the Forum's premier Judge Dredd fan and knowledge-base, I confirm this movie hits.

8/10

18. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I kind of figured. Maybe you will listen to me more often.

19. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Silence! :fightme:

20. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    it's a shame that this movie did poorly...it would be great if they kept making them

21. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    kept making what, sequels?

I agree it's a shame it bombed but tbh I thought it would suck too. Perhaps it will develop a cult fanbase now that it's out on dvd, like nobes said.

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I believe they are...Karl Urban has said he's been in talks to make a sequel.

One of the few movies I disagreed with Anthony over, but turned out to be a great movie...

23. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    yeh man they should keep making sequels

problem is whether they will get a similar budget next time

24. Anthony

Motherfucker
    <header class="entry-header"> [h=1]DREDD Tops Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Download Sales[/h] [h=3]by Dave Trumbore Posted: January 22nd, 2013 at 7:55 am[/h] </header>

[​IMG]
    While it may not have been a box office success, Pete Travis’ Dredd is getting a much fairer trial on home video having topped the Blu-ray and DVD sales list for a 2012 new release. Dredd has also come in first in this week’s digital downloads. It’s great to see the film getting new life after its theatrical release, especially since it’s much closer to the version of Judge Dredd that fans wanted to see. Karl Urban (Star Trek) is the law and deserves another go-round as the titular peacemaker. You can check out Phil’s review of Dredd 3D here along with Bill’s glowing review of the Blu-ray. Hit the jump to watch the trailer and see how you can get your hands on a copy of Dredd.
    Watch the trailer for Dredd if you haven’t seen it yet:
    [​IMG]
    Check out the full press release below:
    SANTA MONICA, Calif., Jan. 22, 2013 /CNW/ – The verdict is in and Lionsgate (LGF), a leading global entertainment company, announced today that the home entertainment release of DREDD claimed the number one spot on the DVD sell-through and Blu-ray charts with 650,000 units sold, making it the best-selling new release title of the year. Blu-ray units accounted for nearly 50% of week 1 POS at retail. In addition, the critically acclaimed thriller, starring Karl Urban (Star Trek) as the titular character Judge Dredd , was the top film download for the week, outpacing all other titles in digital sales as well.
    Adapted by Alex Garland from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s legendary comic book and released in a stunning 3-D Blu-ray, DREDD adds to Lionsgate’s long history of theatrical titles that have overconverted their box office performance on Blu-ray, DVD and digital. Lionsgate continues to lead the industry in DVD-to-box office conversion rates.
    Hailed by audiences and critics alike, the post-apocalyptic thriller also stars Olivia Thirlby (Juno) and Lena Headey (HBO’s “Game Of Thronesâ€). Blending pulse-pounding action with mesmerizing visual effects sequences, the sci-fi thriller directed by Pete Travis (Vantage Point) takes place in a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called “Judges†who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. The Blu-ray Disc and DVD both contain multiple behind-the-scenes featurettes including a look back at the 35 years of Judge Dredd .
    With a highly competitive landscape during its theatrical debut, the thriller’s powerful home entertainment success underscores the importance of the market, allowing entertainment enthusiasts to enjoy their favorite films in a multitude of formats.
    “DREDD‘s chart topping performance demonstrates the breadth of the home entertainment audience for this exciting, high caliber film as well as underscoring our ability to monetize theatrical titles across all home entertainment platforms through the highest packaged, VOD and digital conversion rates in the industry,†said Ron Schwartz , Lionsgate Executive Vice President & General Manager, Home Entertainment. “We’re also pleased that a film released on 3-D Blu-ray was able to top the sales charts, a clear reflection of how quality films in this up and coming format can find their audience.â€
    Lionsgate recently announced a partnership with Korean consumer electronics giant Samsung to convert select Lionsgate action and thriller titles for the booming 3-D home entertainment market.

25. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Watched it today. Very good film, even if it derived way too much from The Raid: Redemption. Like it was mentioned before, having judges sold-out to the gang members was idiotic within the context of the Dredd universe. That being said, this is a thrill a minute action packed satysfying scifi film that delivers in all areas. The character of Anderson, the rookie judge was a little bit undeveloped, but that happens in most action films. I was afraid that she was going to be turned into an excuse for a romantic interest or gratuitous sex scenes, but fortunately that wasn't the case. Karl Urban was perfect as Dredd and made me forget Stallone's cringe worthy portrayal of the judge. Like others mentioned, this character with Urban in the role, deserves a sequel. 8/10

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  26. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Better than 'The Raid: Redemption' which was one of the silliest movies Ive seen: floor-after-floor, way OTT violence and elongated fight-scenes (to the point of boredom) - I actually bought that DVD and gave it away the next day.

Judges selling out was a little much, but not entirely out-of-place in the 'Judge Dredd' world: go back to 1978-79's 'The Day The Law Died' series from 2000A.D., where the crazed Judge Cal blackmailed errant judges into working for him.

Urban IS Judge Dredd.

27. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Well the Stallone film also had a judge who sold out. I just wish that they had not made that exception here again since the concept of the judges are that they are too hardcore strict in enforcing the law that for judges selling out would be a very difficult task. One isolate incident in the comicbooks saga should not be exploited in every Dredd film IMO.

28. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Agreed. The Judge Cal story was pretty unique in that respect.

29. lb 4 lb

Okay, I finally gave in and watched this and it was pretty freaking good. 8/10 and recommended viewing.

30. Roll With The Punches

Home Page:
    it's actually difficult to convince people to watch this

frustrating