Dumbest Recent Statements from Casual Fans (Name em)

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Jun 14, 2017.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Floyd is NOT top 5 all time. Top 20 is generous. Putting him over Ali is BLASPHEMOUS, and not even worth discussing.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

The dumbest statements by a casual fan are being made right in this thread.

At this point, I'm convinced Sly is on Floyd's payroll.

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Used to be, but got fired recently

4. Xplosive

Don't feel bad. At this rate, it looks like he'll have to let go everyone on his payroll.

5. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    P4p was just popularized by SRR. It was used to describe Tony Canzoneri before him, and there's even some articles using that to describe Bob Fitzsimmons.

Boxing went thru an evolution in style in the 20s and 30s, but it doesn't have the same evolution over times as other sports. Mayweather became an ATG using similar techniques as fighters like Georgie Benton and his uncle and father. James Toney studied a lot of 40s and 50s fighters with Bill Miller for his style.

The only evolution really is in the HWs, where I think some of the old top HWs would be too small for talented super HWs like Lewis, Bowe, and the Klitschkos. Otherwise, it's up and down, and there's been largely a regression in the last 2-3 decades. Just a few years ago, Tim Bradley was ranked in the top 5 P4P. Now Bradley was a good, solid fighter, but it's a weak era if this guy is top 5 P4P. For crying out loud, Canelo Alvarez is ranked in the top 10 P4P and Sergio Martinez was ranked #3 P4P in the early 2010s. Neither of them would be top 5 at middleweight in the early 90s, let alone P4P.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Hut*Hut likes this.
  6. puerto rock

Plus, Paulie Malinaggi won a belt at 147. I doubt in any precious era that Paulie is even a name. He'd have nothing but a big mouth.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Doubt It...

LAST Thing Floyd Needs is Another Brother on the Payroll...Neil on the Other Hand....???...

REED:cool:

8. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I know the coke-sniffing Tranny got some flack at the time for some of his opponents (Chavez rematch and Campas for example) and he did choose a couple of nice times to face certain opponents (inactive Quartey), but my god, as the "face of boxing" and doing good by boxing in giving fans good matchups, Oscar absolutely put Floyd to shame.

Pernell Whitaker, undefeated Ike Quartey, undefeated Felix Trinidad, undefeated Shane Mosley, Bernard Hopkins, undefeated Floyd Mayweather.

If Floyd had Oscar's balls, or if Oscar had Floyd's skills, talent, and gym rat dedication, you could very well have a top 10 all-time fighter and at least have some shot at eventually being ranked top 5.

All Floyd had to do was fight Manny in 2010 and the great bulk of his criticism on his opposition would disappear. He still wouldn't be top 5, but he's rank higher (provided he won as I think he would have) and be more well-liked. But he couldn't even do that. At least when Ray Leonard waited 5 years of his southpaw rival to slide, Leonard was two divisions smaller.

Hut*Hut, Jeffy and The Genius like this.
  9. puerto rock

It's because Floyd is so insecure in his own skills and at the same time wants to be the biggest dog in the yard. He has to be made to FEEL that he and he alone, is in control of all things in and out of the ring.

Manny was probably on PEDs, but I don't doubt that Floyd partook in the use of HGH his own damn self. But because Manny took out Oscar, Hatton, and Cotto in impressive fashion, Floyd had to try something that he probably knew that Team Pacquiao would balk at, which was drug testing. If Manny hadn't looked as impressive against those 3 mentioned, I have no doubt that issue doesn't even come up. Floyd would have signed the fight the next day after Pac-Cotto. But he was too spooked to face Manny coming off those performances, and wanted to regain the feeling of control, so he stalled with everything he could think of.

Took him 5 years to work up the courage to finally take the Pac fight. After Manny had shown clear signs of slippage and had taken that KO loss to Marquez. And even with all that going for him, he STILL fought scared (Like Sr. told him in the corner) and did all he could to make it a non-risky, tedious affair against a much smaller guy than himself.

His asshole persona aside, Floyd never endeared himself to hardcore fight fans because of his lack of desire to actually take RISKS... De La Hoya is an asshole in real life too, and with all the cross dressing and drugs, is still remembered more fondly than Floyd because he did take risks (Although he too had fights with the deck stacked in his favor).

10. Destruction and Mayhem

Yo...I'll always have mad love for you Puerto Rock (no homo) but this is some bullshit that you guys keep saying...

Corrales was not just a risk, he was a motherfucking risk. Corrales was undefeated, very powerful and much taller and bigger than Floyd
    Castillo was Floyd's very first fight at lightweight
    De La Hoya was a HUGE risk, considering that a) it was De La Hoya b) Oscar had just brutalized Mayorga, c) the fight was at 154lbs...when Floyd had been at 135 just a couple of years before that. Floyd Snr. had tried his best to discourage his son from taking that fight (but everyone seems to forget that)
    Canelo was an undefeated, young highly touted rising star, and Floyd fought him in his late 30s.
    Say what you want now about Hatton, but at the time he was also unbeaten, was a top 5 P4P fighter and had stopped Castillo and Tszyu among others

Also you can add Cotto, Mosley and a few others.

11. puerto rock

I can give you Corrales, Castillo and maybe Hernandez. But those fights were at the lower weights.

At 147 and 154, Floyd used very strategic means when it came to selecting opponents.

Mosley and Cotto were names, but I never recall too many people saying they were legitimate threats to Mayweather. Prevailing notion was that they were not major threats.

Oscar at the time was also mostly a name. He was still good enough to beat C level guys like Mayorga, but prior to that, he was seen quitting against 39 year old Hopkins and getting outboxed by Sturm. He arguably beat Mosley in their rematch but he wasn't impressive... Oscars last stand was against Vargas in 2002.

Canelo was young but is he really elite? I've never been that high on Canelo, to be honest. He's gotten better but there's ever been anything about him that screams "pound 4 pound."

12. Destruction and Mayhem

PR...the point is that there were NO LEGITIMATE THREATS to Floyd during his time at 147 and 154. He would have been the overwhelming favourite over anyone he faced. You can't penalize him for that. Canelo and Oscar were legit threats though even though Floyd was favoured.

13. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I don't criticise Floyd's competition at 130 or 135. I also give big credit for the Oscar win too, and Canelo. Rest of it is either meh or LOL.

14. Destruction and Mayhem

Cotto went on the beat Martinez for the linear middleweight title. That must count for something. The real question is: who should Floyd have fought that would have satisfied the haters?

15. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Martinez was slated on here constantly BEFORE that fight, and barely scraped past Martin Murray a fight or two before Cotto, that's before we even get into the whole dodgy knee stuff which clearly had an impact on the fight.

16. Destruction and Mayhem

Martinez had beaten Pavlik and cold cocked Paul Williams and was the linear middleweight champion. Cotto beating him was a big deal.

17. Xplosive

It would have been a big deal pre-Chavez Junior fight.

That knee injury effectively ended Martinez's career.

I have a hard time seeing Cotto beating the Martinez of the Pav fight.

18. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

I still think it's funny how people give cotto props for beating a guy with one leg. You had to give him credit at the time because it wasn't his fault and people didn't know exactly how damaged and faded Martinez was coming in. But in hindsight, and I'm talking like a few rounds after the bell rung, it was pretty clear Cotto lucked into a sweet deal.

I don't mind it. I think Cotto would be under rated if he hadn't redeemed his career with that questionable win.

19. puerto rock

Cotto is a true over achiever. Very good fighter but no more than a well known contender that loses to the best in any previous era.

And while Martinez himself was overrated, Cotto caught him at the right time.

20. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I don't know if they're "casuals", just delusional.

People trying to argue that Mayweather-Canelo was a super close fight, and that a draw would have been fair.

re watching floyd vs canelo

21. Destruction and Mayhem

They're not casuals.....they're Mexicans! Lol

22. Wiser 1878

Wiser 1878 Bridgerweight Champion

Management/Health Care
    Malignaggi vs. Jake Rodriguez?

23. puerto rock

"Deontay Wilder is the Ali of today's heavyweight division in that he does along of things technically incorrect but still beats everybody."

^^^^ Yes someone on FB actually made that statement... I just can't with these casuals.

24. Destruction and Mayhem

Facebook or Fightbeat?

25. puerto rock

26. Destruction and Mayhem

Madness either way

27. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

LOL.