End of the Year MMA Schedule

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by Trplsec, Oct 8, 2014.

1. mw314159

mw314159 Undisputed Champion

Todd Duffee is an absolute monster. He'd be near the top of the division if he could take a shot.

2. mw314159

I've thought of Gilbert Melendez as the best lightweight in the world for years now. I admit that Pettis had looked outstanding in his last few fights. He might be better than Melendez.

I'm so nervous, I can't even sit down right now. Lol. Something big is about to happen.

3. mw314159

Pettis really is the best in the world. He submits guys who are unsubmittable.

4. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Umm. I was rooting for Lawler, but I thought Hendricks clearly won the fight. I didn't even think it was close. Crazy but good for Robbie.

5. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I agree but the 155 lbs division is loaded. Pettis is faced with fighting Nurmagomedov who is one of the more smothering grapplers in MMA. It's not difficult to see Pettis losing that fight.

6. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Pettis is awesome. He doesnt seem like a great ground guy but is so quick and explosive with his submissions. I thought lawler deserved the win. First round couldve gone either way, hendricks won rounds 2 and 3 and lawler closed out rounds 4 and 5.

7. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

wow, nice for Lawler, I always was a fan of him, but when he was signed by the UFC, I tought it was a pointless move. how wrong was I.

Still, I don't expect a long reign for him

8. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I saw the first three rounds and I thought first could have gone either way and the next two Hendricks borderline dominated. Must have been some comeback by Lawler.

9. mw314159

I've never seen anything like his transitions from Tae Qwon Doe to Jiu Jitsu. He throws the craziest kicks (that land half the time), and he transitions into a submission so fast if he gets taken down.

I could see him getting smothered for a decision again like in the Guida fight. He would win in a real fight if they didn't have the rules that protect wrestlers. No knees to a guy with a knee or hand on the ground, no rabbit punches when a guy's going for a takedown and leaving the back of his head open. Pettis would win in a real fight when Guida would win a decision with the judges. I could see him losing a decision to Nurmagomedov.

10. mw314159

I didn't expect him to do well this time in the UFC either. I am hoping to god that Nick Diaz can find a way to beat Anderson Silva. A Diaz / Lawler rematch for the title could be the biggest UFC event ever.

11. mw314159

Edit - double post. I probably shouldn't post online with my phone when I'm this drunk

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  12. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

I really can't pick MMA fights very well, but this time I was 99% confident Pettis would win.

Not sure why anyone thought Melendez was the best LW in the world. He can obviously fight, but is just a basic pressure fighter compared to Pettis. Pettis is far more dynamic, talented, and versatile.

13. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I've been saying it forever, Melendez just isn't that good.

Right now, Pettis and Cerrone are fighting on a whole different level than the rest of the division. That matchup has got to be made.

TFK

14. mexican wedding shirt

I've been saying it for a long time too, I've never seen anything special about Melendez. He's been overrated forever. Josh Thomson was robbed against him too.

Speaking of Cerrone though, have you seen their fight? :lol:

Pettis destroyed him with ease once, I see no reason why he wouldn't do it again.

15. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Yeah, there is zero reason for Pettis-Cerrone 2. Pettis walked thru him the first time and Cerrone hasn't changed since then.

Essentially Cerrone-Pettis is a battle of kick boxers and Cerrone isn't near the same level as Pettis.

I'd much rather see Nurmagamedov or the winner of Diaz-Dos Anjos get the next shot.

On top of that, I think Cerrone is going to have his hands full against Myles Jury next month.

16. mw314159

I thought Melendez was the best in the world from when he was destroying guys like Kawajiri and Aoki. Last night he got outclassed by the best in the world. That doesn't mean he was never any good. I'd pick him to win (again) against Henderson, and I'd pick him over most of the rest of the top 10.

17. mexican wedding shirt

I agree with all this, including Jury. He's a boring nerd, but he can clearly fight, I think he'd be a tough fight for almost anyone.

18. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I thought Hendricks nipped the first round and won 2, 3, and 4. 5th clearly to Lawler. Did the one judge only give Hendricks round 2?

Nurm...ov has looked great in like 4 of the 5 times I've seen him fight. He and Pettis should make for an excellent fight. I think Pettis has the advantage because Nurm won't be able to stop him so Pettis will have plenty of time standing up.

19. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    What about Tony Ferguson? I think he's a sleeper in the division.

20. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I thought he was completely out-classed by Trujillo but just had a deeper gas tank.

155 is talent-rich right now.

21. ArturoGatti

Home Page:
    he got caught then outclassed him, imo. Him and Cerrone are my favourites but I can't see either become the champ.

22. joony

joony "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    who wins pettis vs aldo? i still think it's a pick'em fight.

23. mexican wedding shirt

Pettis wins. He's bigger and better.

24. mw314159

Pettis looks like he's at his absolute best. Lately Aldo hasn't looked like the destroyer he was a few years ago. I would have picked Aldo if they had fought 5 years ago. Pettis should be the clear favorite now.

25. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

I don't think there is anyone at 145 or 155 that can beat Pettis without great MMA wrestling.

As highly as I rate Aldo, he can't beat Pettis in a kickboxing fight now.

26. mw314159

There's another great card tonight. 3 big heavyweight fights and Nate Diaz / Dos Anjos. I'm picking JDS, Diaz, Struve, and Gonzaga in the main card.

I picked Ben Saunders in the prelims. He won, but it kinda sucks that it ended that way. I hope he keeps doing well in his return to the UFC.

27. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

Wow. That was simply one of the best MMA bouts in recent history. JDS showed his heart again and Stipe proved he belongs at the top of the division.

How many more times can JDS get his face pulverized like that? He got the win tonight but he definitely paid the price for it.

Good card overall.

28. Trplsec

Trplsec Sleeps in a Cage

By the way, for anyone interested and reading, Jon Fitch vs Rousimar Palhares is on a little bit later tonight.(World Series of Fighting 16). It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

29. mw314159

I didn't expect that kind of a back and forth war. I wanted Junior to win, but it could have gone either way.

30. mw314159

I hope Palhares gets the win here. And lets go when Fitch taps out.