Expendables III : Update Teaser included

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Anthony, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Gibson on the warpath... Jews beware!

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Its not about going overboard. It's the same point i made to you last time. You really think Stallone, Willis, Arnold, Ford, Stathem, Snipes, Gibson, need a movie to establish their characters for you to care about them? These guys were the movies in their respective times. People went to the see the movies because their names were attached to them. They didnt see the trailers of an 80s or 90s action movie and with those names attached and say to themselves "that plot looks great and the dialogue is on point". They saw those names attached to them, saw a bunch of blood and guts everywhere and knew they were going to see the movie. We as fans of these action stars already care about them. They have been in our lives since many of us were fucking children man. We grew up watching them. That is why movies like the expendables doesn't waste time and just gets right down to business.

This is no different than the dirty dozen movie of the 60s. Where you had all these stars, but very little character development. You didnt need it. You knew who these men were and why they were there.

That being said, just listening to you agree that Rambo 2, 3 & 4, Commando, Raw Deal & The running man were all around better movies than the expendables because the plot, character development and dialogue were superior is laughable and hard to take you serious.

3. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I mean for example. This movie is not meant to develop a character of those that are already developed. But obviously the most basic point to the whole movie completely goes over Lib's head.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TwzYahvi_BE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Buddy Rydell

Buddy Rydell Boxingpress Alumnus

Small animal repair technician
    Home Page:
    Sorry lb4lb, but Anthony has a very good point here. A big part is the novelty: what kid didn't want to see Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and Chuck Norris all in the same movie back in the day. These were the kinds of teamups that a lot of kids thought would be really cool. It's novelty and nostalgia---sure it's a cashgrab, but it's also about seeing the action stars, we watched as kids, getting together for some last hurrahs.

5. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Okay, you say they don't have to put in decent dialouge because we already care about the characters since we already know them. Wrong. Thanks to the lack of decent dialouge I don't care about these characters and I don't want to watch part 3. I sat through 1 loved the action sequences and watched part 2 out of curiosity. I have no interest in seeing 1 or 2 again and likely won't watch 3 because there isn't enough in this film to care about, other than overdone action sequences that are so far over the top they become a distraction. The first film's action was good, but in part 2 it just seemed too ridiculous. Riding around in a golf cart hitting moving targets that are somehow missing you.

Also even the dirty dozen films had decent dialouge the character development is less of an issue in these types of film IMO. And yes I do say Rambo 1 & 2 and Running Man etc are superior to the Expandables crap. I've sat through several viewings of those films, receited lines from them and everything, how many people can sit through multiple viewings of Expendables 2?

Yeah, and did you see anywhere in there where I said nobody wanted to see that? No. I'm not arguing the concept, I'm arguing about the final product. Also we wanted to see those films back when these guys were at the height of their abilities and movie making was on a better scale, not when they were over the hill, couldn't bring in the grosses anymore and needed a novelty to cash in, hence the very reason these films got green lit.

6. Anthony

Motherfucker
    My point is that 80s actions movies didn't have decent dialogue. It may have seem decent to you at the time because you were probably 10 and shit. But if those movies came out today you would be saying the same exact shit you do about the expendables about them.
    Again, the point of the movie is not build characters, because the actors are their characters. LMAO. my god it's hilarious how you dont get this. You have Arnold saying "I'll be back" Clearly we know this is arnold who was the terminator, where I'll be back was made famous. You have Arnold saying "Yippie Kaye" when referring to willis. Clearly he is referring to Willis as John McClane, who we all care about already. You have Norris referred to as The Lone Wolf. referring to Lone Wolfe McQuade, Norris' famous character. Everyone knows these guys FOR THEIR PREVIOUS work. We care about them. We know what they are doing there. They have one job and that is to kill as many people as possible each in the most brutal fashion possible. And you are questioning bullets "that are somehow missing you", you clearly have completely forgotten any 80s movies you are praising here, because that happened all the time. Hell in Commando and Rambo, they took on whole fucking Armies single handed and never got shot.

WRONG. the dialogue in dirty dozen was shit too. And i really doubt you saw the movie, since you would have walked out in the first 2 hours. Since the movie is almost 3 hours long.
    And you may have sat through several viewings of rambo and running man, but like i said, you were a child when you first saw them and you have nostalgia when it comes to them. But if those movies came out today, you would be bashing them too, because it's the same shit.

7. Anthony

Motherfucker
    All in all Lib, the fact that you wont see the movie, means shit. Many people will see it because its a sit back, mindless action movie with all our favorite action stars. That is why the third one is being made and a 4th one will be made. And why the second movie made more than the first one.

8. lb 4 lb

No, the 80's movies did have good dialogue. The characters actually had good interesting conversations. In the Expendables every one just talks, but it isn't conversing they're doing but rather just spitting out phrases. Also even if I was 10 and shit, I also watched these films over and over throughout the 80's and 90's on video or HBO so the dialogue stands.

No you aren't getting it. I already said in my last post that the character development in these films isn't really the problem. It's the lame dialogue that is. Sure we already know these characters and maybe your reasoning of how dialogue doesn't matter is the same reason the last 2 Die Hard films sucked ass. It seems like all they did for Expendables was throw some big name actors in a film, slap some over the top action sequences around it, but then just have them improv the dialogue. Maybe a half decent film is good enough to entertain you, but I'm not satisfied with it.

Without the witty charismatic dialogue these guys gave us in the 80's there really isn't much point in putting them in a film together. Because even though you claim we already know these guys, to me they look like imposters. I mean yeah, they pull the triggers the same, but their character/personality was always the heart of their films, which is why you couldn't just cast any old actor in those 80's roles. As far as Expendables are concerned, they could have given that film to a bunch of no name actors and although they wouldn't have pulled in as much money, they would have done just as good a job if not better reciting those same lame lines and squeezing those same triggers.

It's not nostalgia, they were just better films. And trust me I know good dialogue, it's not an age or time issue. A movie like Dark Knight or Watch Men, good dialogue. Films like Expendables or the last 3 Star Wars films, shit dialogue. Oh but you can go on defending it all you want and if you just say it's a film you enjoy regardless of the dialogue we can end this discussion right here, just don't try to convince me it has good dialogue because it doesn't.

It's not me, the Expendables films just have shitty dialogue.

9. lb 4 lb

So if it's a mindless action film why are you defending it when I criticize the dialogue? Just say something like that's true, but I enjoyed it anyway. No movie is perfect, why do you have to defend every anatomy of every film you like whether it's the actors, the budget, the gross or the dialogue?

10. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Try to stick with me here Lib. I am not defending it because you are criticizing the dialogue. I am trying to have a discussion with you about your assertion that this movie isnt as good as the 80s movies because it has bad dialogue and over the top violence, when, in fact, the movies from the 80s had horrible dialogue and over the top action. It's really not that complicated.

As for defending a movie i like, WOW how crazy is that? I mean who, other than me does that right? I mean why would somebody defend movie they like unless...let me think...THEY ACTUALLY FUCKING LIKE THE MOVIE?. Honestly that is one of the most ridiculous comments i have ever seen on here. So let me get this straight. I like a movie. I post about it in a movie section of a discussion board. You still with me? Someone post an opposing view, and i should just not respond at all? On a message board, where i initially posted about the movie to create discussion? I should just post my thoughts on the movie and just never engage in the discussion again, unless i agree with opposing view of my very own opinion? How the hell does that make any sense whatsoever?

11. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Nope, the 80s dialogue wasnt good. But because you cant seem to understand that when someone was a child they think differently than when they are an adult and you seem to be completely unaware of what nostalgia is, you think that just because you can watch a movie from the 80s today over and over again, that the movie was just so good. You fail to realize that you can watch the movie over and over again today because you have a connection to it. Now if movies like the Running Man came out today and you never saw them before, you would be shitting all over the movie. Im sorry that this isnt clear for you.
    Again, i have proven the dialogue in the 80s was shit with clips. There is a reason why the dialogue from the 80s is the cause for many drinking games out there today. They are cheesy, Corney and just stupid.

Their characters are the heart of the film? THEY PLAY THE SAME FUCKING CHARACTERS IN EVERY MOVIE. lol at Characters. They aren't characters, they are Stallone, Arnold and Willis. Same fucking people.

I dont need to convince you it has good dialogue. You just need to understand the movies from the 80s that you are comparing them to DIDNT. And your nostalgia is clouding your judgement.

12. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    The Dirty Dozen analogy (especially the first film) makes no sense... absolutely NONE

13. lb 4 lb

I understand what you're saying, I just don't think you're right in that it's clouding my judgement. I know I have a connection to 80's films but I also understand that those films were done well. They had good dialogue and good action, Expendables only had good action. For instance Jack Reacher was an action movie today that had good action, pace and good dialogue. It was twice as good as Expendables because it was done well so you see seeing movies in the 80's hasn't somehow prevented me from knowing good dialogue from bad dialogue. When the actors actually converse about plot points and events that are happening in the film, it goes over better rather than say, the actors just constantly doing small talk about nothing.

You got a link to these clips because I think I missed them?

Exactly, and you seemed to miss my point where I said in the Expendables they didn't seem like Arnold, Stallone, and Willis any more because they weren't saying anything worth a damn. Your point that the characters don't need developing because we already know them is a ridiculous cop out. Even in the 80's when they were playing their so called same characters in different films there was character development, even in sequels when they actually were the same characters there was character development. Without character development you get the lame convo's we got in the Expendables.

No it really isn't. Because I can also compare the dialogue to much better action films of today like Reacher, or M.I Ghost Protocol for example. I mean you seem to be really reaching here. We never named specific films from the 80's, you're just sitting there apparently arguing that every action film from the 80's had bad dialogue which is just silly.

14. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    [video=youtube;SSoD_heEUaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSoD_heEUaA[/video]

15. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

The Expendables 3 teaser trailer

<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://movies.yahoo.com/video/expendables-3-trailer-official-sylvester-184052160.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

16. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Im gonna merge this with the other thread okay pops?

17. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Interesting teaser I seen it a few times to catch everyone. Ortiz looks gay as fuck even from a distance. but seeing Snipes and Stallone together again and side by side was nice.

I hope gibson is great as the villain.

18. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    I thought part 2 was better than part 1. This one looks overloaded with characters though. Glad to see Snipes back as well.

19. Panchyprsss

No problem, son.:cheers:

20. Anthony

Motherfucker
    lol the reason i said pops was because clogg was saying that your my dad cause i always defend you. i was like i dont care man. call him my dad.

21. BOSS

BOSS TBD

I would like these movies a lot more if more good guys died. I mean you keep bringing in new (old) faces so you have plenty room to spare. If you're not going to use Chuck Norris anymore for example then have a grenade explode in his mouth or something. It would be cool to see a bunch of these superstars killed off. But nooooo instead we will get the usual bodycount of 5684 bad guys dead, meanwhile only Randy Couture broke his nail.

22. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I see your point but then they would have to "address" the fallen ones (at least the good guys) and that would cut into the action. I'd rather not see any of them get emotional and give some kind of "we'll get the bastards for you!" speeches.

23. Panchyprsss

Revenge in action films is very rewarding. They should kill a few of them and the surviving ones take satisfying revenge on the bad guys.

24. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    They killed Thor's younger brother in the last one.

25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    yeah i mean if the major badguy who you are going after anyway kills one of them, it's not only getting the bad guy but revenge at the same time. In this one, Terry Crews, Couture, Jet Li should all die. They bring nothing to the movie. Jet li was barely in the last one.

26. Panchyprsss

Oh, you mean Miley Cyrus ex-boyfriend?

27. Panchyprsss

Jet Li was there?:stunned: maybe I was blinking that I missed him!

28. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    :laughing:

29. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I said "sister", so call him "sis", motherfucker!

30. Anthony

Motherfucker
    <iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" src="https://movies.yahoo.com/video/expendables-3-roll-call-224056628.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>