Fights AS Big or BIGGER than FLOYD -PAC...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by REEDsART, Feb 23, 2015.

1. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

:bears:

2. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Where did I contend otherwise............you have misconstrued my point, and it alludes to my other statement wherein I noted the need to define "big".

Albeit that this version of Floyd and, especially, this version of Manny are many moons removed from their respective peaks, that is not the point, nor is it my point.

Nor, is relevant, the fact that one goes into the fight a 5-2 favourite and the other a 2-5 underdog.

Rather, the point is, as it must be, that neither man will figure to do very much after the fact, both being on the cusp of retirement, a fact related to and not wholly divisible from the fact that the fight is taking place a good five-years later than it should have done.

It gives closure to nothing, but perhaps more importantly it gives birth to no progeny. No great tide or era will be borne from it, and no great chapter or event will be closed with it.

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I never did any such thing. Please go back and REED what was written.

Floyd won't go on any 10 fight streak after this.

It, the fight, won't prove anything, save to internet warriors who cling to the coat-tails of either man.

With regard to ordering the fight, I almost certainly WILL NOT order it UNLESS it is carried by Boxnation.

I will stream it, but I also streamed Rios vs Alvarado III.

I have also said that Frazier vs Ali I and Foreman vs Ali were bigger fights, Schmelling vs Louis I and II were bigger fights, Leonard vs Duran, I, not the fraudulent rematch, was a bigger fight.

4. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    BIG:

• Viable PPV Forces
    • Mainstream Attractions
    • American Soil
    • PPV Records
    • American Audiences.

5. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is the biggest BOXING event since ALI vs. FRAZIER I....I would bet there would be 20,000+ people for the WEIGH in....3-4 million PPV buys...this shit will sell out that fancy new Cowboys stadium...at astronomical prices per ticket....THE WORLD will be WATCHING....Europe...Asia....the AMericas...Africa....everywhere...event ISIS will stop for this...

6. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Just as REED Suspected, you're Chock FULL of Shit...

You WILL Watch Mayweather - Pacquiao, Because EVERY Hardcore, Half-Assed &/or Mainstream Fan, w/the Means to Watch it, WILL Watch It...PERIOD...

Worse, You've Conveniently NEGLECTED to Point Out the FACT Floyd and Pac are NO WORSE than Top 5 Lb for Lb on the Lists of ANY Reputable Boxing Site, Publication or Messageboard, RIGHT NOW...TODAY!!!...You're Trying VERY Hard to Convince YOURSELF this Fight Isn't Meaningful, when the FACT Remains, these are 2 HIGHLY Ranked Lb for Lb'ders w/TRUE Marquee Value...Even in a Diminished State (HOW Diminished is a Matter of Opinion), they're STILL Amongst the ELITE Fighters on the Planet...Unquestionably...

Go to ANY Legit Boxing Site or Magazine & You'll See "Floyd Mayweather" and "Manny Pacquiao" PROMINENTLY Displayed in the Top 5 of ANY Lb for Lb List, @ the Absolute Worst....

It's SHAMEFUL a So-Called "Fan" as Yourself Would Even ATTEMPT to Dilute the IMPORTANCE of Mayweather - Pacquiao, w/some Agenda Fueld BULLSHIT...

REED:baa:

7. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

BUT he could...if he really wanted to keep boxing....

-Remach Cotto
    -Amir Khan
    -Keith Thurman
    -Kell Brook
    -Bradley
    -Rios
    -A few guys from 154/140 and there......FLOYD has gone in a 10 fight winning streak...but he WON'T because he doesn't HAVE to..

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I think this is about the size of it. If you put it in a financial and social-media calipers, this is what you get.

The fight has no {new or additional} cross-over appeal because it crossed-over a long long time from being relevant to boxing per se on one hand,{its relevance has dropped noticeably} to non-boxing parties on the other, whose interest has risen accordingly.

9. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    It's a social-media and ppv event. Illuminatis description is as close to the money as not.

It's a fight in-abstract rather than in-continuum.

Ali vs Foreman absolutely determined the course of heavyweight history and absolutely determined the financial dynamic of all-boxing for decades.

A different sort of "BIG".

10. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah that's quite a list. Rematching Cotto........a guy he could and should have fought 15 years ago, nevermind 4.

11. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    "Marquee Value"....."Pound for Pound".

We get the picture.

Reed once said that "Pound for Pound" meant "Recency".

Well....., "Recency", Floyd fought Maidana, again, and Manny fought some Metrosexual whose best win was over Provodnikov. Just.

"Recency", neither man has knocked anybody out.

It's the biggest fight of all time in terms of the social-media, PPV dynamic.

But if you introduce other things..........it;s significance wanes.

12. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

The Fight will Determine Who The Best Fighter of THIS Era Is/Was...

Floyd and Pac have Stood Head and Shoulders ABOVE their Contemporaries of the Last 10+ Years...As REED Types, they're BOTH STILL Ranked Top 5 Lb for Lb or HIGHER...

HISTORY will Refer to 1 of these Men as THE Absolute Best Prizefighter of his Era...

Sorry, but that's "BIG"...

REED:hammert:

13. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

The importance of Floyd vs. Pacquiao won't be determined until the final bell.....if Floyd wins then it won't mean as much as if Pacquiao wins....

This fight is within the realm of boxing...it's not ALI vs. Frazier I or Lous vs. Schmelling II...those two fight had social implication or at least people at that time thought it did. Floyd vs Pacquiao is a World Cup that boxing hasn't had since De La Hoya vs. Trinidad....

We had a few Super Bowls...Trinidad vs. Vargas/Hopkins ....DLH vs. Vargas....DLH vs. Floyd...Tyson vs. Lewis

A few National CHAMPIONSHIPS.....Roy vs. Tarver I/II....DLH vs. Hopkins...Pacquiao vs. Cotto..

A few NBA championships....Cotto vs. Pacquiao/Mayweather....Klit vs. Haye(for those fucks across the river)...Lewis vs. Vitaly...

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Reed is like the Witchfinder-General, going around, rooting out Heretics at every opportunity.

Trying to make out that the significance of the fight has not been unalterably devalued by the preposterous passage in time and the decline of both men, Pacquaio particularly, in the intervening half-decade.

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    And therefore, for this to be the biggest fight of all time, by your new standard, this must be the greatest era of all time, for......er, whatever division it is these men exist in.

16. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

SHieet.....you go up and down FLoyd resume pull out 3-4 names Cotto, Corrales, Castillo and Hatton and those 4 fights/fighters would shit on Wladimir's 66 fights...

half of the guys in that list are better than 98% of Wladimir opponents..

17. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Irish, let me put it like this - yeah it's a shame they're both on the cusp of retirement, but despite that I think they're the 2 best fighters in the world, P4P.

They might be significantly past their best, but they're so good, that even diminished versions of them are better than everyone else.

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Again, pretty much on the money. It's past its sell by date and rapidly approaching inedible. Only the incredible paucity of talent has prevented both men, and this fight, from being overtaken.

19. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    And in a back-handed way you make my point.

Deem it the biggest fight of all time because more people in America will buy it by all means {oddly, more Filipinos will watch it but apparently they don't count as they won't be paying for it to the same tune}...............but be prepared to accept likewise that their relevance persists because only in this era could they prolong their "PFP" values as long.

Better fighters have made better fights more often with a fraction of the noise.

20. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    But that's not what makes BIG fights. What makes big fights is..........American Audiences, PPV Force, Credit-Card Hotlines............

:lol: you're walking into it now mate.

21. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Your Biggest Flaw is you NEVER Tell the ENTIRE Story...You Produce Half Assed Versions of It, HOPING No One Can See Through your Brand of Bullshit...

"Recency"???...When's the LAST Time Floyd Mayweather LOST a Fight???...Oh, that's Right, NEVER...He Beat Maidana, who EXPOSED Adrien Broner, who was on the Brink of Superstardom and had CRACKED the Lb for Lb Lists of Some...Before that, he Beat Canelo, Another Guy Garnering Lb for Lb Recognition...Saying NATHAN of his 47 Wins w/Out a Loss...

As for Pac, he Made a Modern Day Action Hero like Rios Look like a Punching Bag, TAMING him to the Degree Rios OPENLY Admitted he Fought to Survive, Because he DIDN'T Want to Get Knocked Out...Pac Followed that w/an Impressive Win Over Bradley Who was *.....wait......wait.......waaaaaaaaaaaaait.....* RANKED In the Top 10, Lb for Lb, @ the Time...

He Then Bounced Algeri, a Guy w/a Style as Appealing as the Ebola Virus, Off the Canvas Repeatedly...Algeri, Of Course, Beat the "Killer" that is Provodnikov...

Yes, "Recency"....

22. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

When and WHERE Did REED Refer to Mayweather - Pacquiao as THE Biggest Fight of All Time???...REED Started a Thread ASKING the Question, then Offered Up Leonard - Hearns I, Ali - Frazier I & Louis - Schmeling II as Examples of Bouts AS Big or BIGGER....

But Thanks for Conveniently DISREGARDING All That...

23. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    But.............why was Provodnikov a "Killer" and why was Broner "cracking the PPV code" and why was Broner on the "cusp of superstardom"....

It's bullshit begetting bullshit.

Broner was almost a star for the same bullshit reasons that this fight is "the biggest fight of all time".

Because somebody said he was.

He'd done nothing more. He had done nothing.

This fight, as I say, is the biggest fight of all time in terms of a TV, Social-Media, Event extravaganza.

It's significance tails off significantly once the above rubric is diluted.

24. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

THIS...

REED:bravo:

25. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Considering you GLEEFULLY Deposit Klit DNA in your Mouf', You're THE LAST Poster that Needs to Get All Nitpicky w/the Resumes of Fighters like Floyd and Pac...

Yes, Even their RECENT Resumes...

26. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Their recent resumes are pretty weak and when you throw in that they haven't stopped anyone it doesn't look any better.

I think part of the issue here is that your definition of "Big" is based on certain values. Mine is based on others.

Floyd is probably a better boxer than either George Foreman or Joe Frazier. So talent has fuck all to do with it, to a point.

27. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Are you telling me Floyd hasn't been stopped and humble 3 times...by the likes of SHarmba Mitchell, Henry Bruseles and the deadly Phillip N'dou???

28. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Agreed but outside of it being long overdue another negative slant is neither man can really do anything to top this. (outside of a possible rematch)

That's something to worry about later though. I'm glad the thing is fucking signed already and i'll still be looking forward to it. (admittedly not as much as I once was) Of course I hope Manny wins but above all I want a controversy free affair that provides a clear winner. It would suck ass if after all of this the fight has to be stopped due to something like an accident head-butt.

29. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    He wasn't beaten by Kirklaind Laing either, and guess what, he won't fight another fighter as good as Kirklaind Laing after the Manny fight, win lose or draw.

30. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    A lot will come down to the referee rather than the Judges. I think the Judges will get it right, irrespective of the wailing of the commentators or the respective camps. But if the referee gets it wrong, then it will degenerate rapidly.