Fights AS Big or BIGGER than FLOYD -PAC...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by REEDsART, Feb 23, 2015.

1. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Probably but I think it will most likely go the distance so judges are still a concern. Anybody have an idea who the frontrunners are for the ref in this one?

2. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Hopefully Smoger, Even Though he's Never Done a Vegas Fight, to REED's Recollection...

REED:hammert:

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

:lol:

Fuck me, we agree. Yes, hopefully Smoger. Or the guy that did Khan vs Peterson.

4. TFK

TFK WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

This fight would've been much bigger if it happened when it should have back in 2011 or 2012. I think it loses some luster by being delayed.

I don't think it compares to any of the big fights of the past, the Ali-Fraziers, Hagler-Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard-Roberto Duran, etc. I think a Pac\Floyd fight is made to look bigger than it is because of the overall lack of interest in the sport from the casual fan. Pac\Floyd is big for boxing because it's them and nobody else. Ask any casual fan or non fan if they could make a dream fight today with any active fighters besides Pac\Floyd and they probably be stuck for an answer.

TFK

5. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Yeah off the top of my he'd be one of the better ones.

6. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

What about Karl vs TBA?

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    For me, if Floyd went up to 160 to fight Golovkin that would be a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger fight.

Reed is using pfp....but pfp means jack shit when a bigger harder motherfucker has eyes for your ribcage.

If Floyd beat Golovkin it would render Pacquaio totally totally irrelevant. Pacquaio could fly to Mars and it wouldn't mean shit.

I am not intrigued by Floyd vs Pac. For me, Floyd beats him easy, one-way. And he will get mad kudos as if it was 2008. And that's wrong.

8. TFK

How can a mismatch be a big fight?

TFK

9. TFK

I'd much rather see Floyd fight GGG, but the casual fan or non fan probably has no idea who he is.

TFK

10. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    That's just it.

There is big fight in terms of boxing, and then there is what OUR BUSINESS means to OTHER FUCKERS.

11. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

It would be awesome if it was "Fight him" Cooper.

12. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah, what did I say...what did I say

Twat.

13. mexican wedding shirt

You said the guy who did Khan Vs Peterdewd, because you couldn't even remember his name.

Thick twat.

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    And are Joseph Coooper and the guy who did Khan vs Peterson the same fucking man.

Usurious Twat.

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    :lol:

"Take a point off this cunt. Thumbs up yo he passed the anal-cavity check..."

[​IMG]

16. mexican wedding shirt

But you couldn't even remember his name, because of your tiny ginger brain.

Knob.

17. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    :lol: :lol:

Great memories.

[​IMG]

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah, that's right, and I forgot to Google it too.

19. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Floyd-Pac will be the biggest fight I will ever watch live, period. I don't think there will be a bigger fight in the future.

20. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    What do you mean by "Biggest".....

21. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Well, most anticipated fight, more hype for it than Lewis-Tyson, as examples. Will generate more money than any other fight I have seen in the years I've been alive.

I clearly remember the build-up for Lewis-Tyson and how pumped I was for that fight, but Floyd-Pac will hit another level altogether.

22. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yes, in that sense it is the biggest.

I did see Oscar vs Quartey live too, mind. But the winner of that fight was kicking on to another level.

The winner of this one is going to 160 to fight a guy they hae already beaten and avoid a guy they will never fight.

So in that regard, it's smaller.

23. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

wald pussy is taller and weighs more than both these guys. He's bigger. Big.

24. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

In Germany Ali reached ratings of about one third of all households. Floyd-Pac will not get 2%. And I believe it will be somewhat similar in the rest of Europe. Although I have to admit german boxing fans are really ignorant towards everything not named Klitschko, Abraham, Brähmer, Huck and maybe Sturm. :lol:

What were the TV ratings for Ali-Frazier or Ali-Foreman. I can't imagine, they had less fuss about them.

25. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Tyson's fights were bigger and Leonard's fights were bigger simply because boxing was more mainstream during their primes.

In terms of dollars earned, Leonard made something like $15 million to fight Hagler which is roughly $30 million in today's dollars. Tyson made $22 or $25 million to fight Spinks (I forget which) which translates to $53 million in today's dollars.

If Floyd and Manny fought four or five years ago I'd agree the fight would be on a much higher level. Add to the fact we've seen Manny face first in the canvas in the interim coupled with the neverending saga to get to this point takes the shine off the event to me.

In my eyes this is equivalent to Seattle and New England playing their Super Bowl in 2020 rather than 2015.

This fight came together because the networks are losing money on these guys.

26. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

You can't really compare Floyd to Tyson in terms of popularity.

Tyson, Ali, and Jordan are probably the three most recognizable athletes in sport's HISTORY.

Floyd will never compare to that.

However, with the power of social media, the internet, and the Hip Hop world, Floyd is probably every bit as popular as Leonard was in the 80s.

The difference being, Leonard was a universal hero, and Floyd is a universal villain.

Obviously, I can't speak for worldwide, but I would say there's a VERY VERY small percentage of the U.S. population who doesn't know Floyd.

Behind Lebron, Floyd is the most famous athlete in the U.S. currently. I don't even think there's much debate about that.

Floyd and Lebron are the two recognizable faces in the sport's world as of right now.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  27. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Total agreement on the parts in red-bold.

They, Manny and Floyd, had DRAINED all the other available fields of revenue. Pac has not got a KO in many years and Floyd hasn't stopped anyone since hands-down-hit-me Victoria, he of the functional weight advantage.

They knew their Oil Donkeys were coming in the ring DRY....so they did what neither man, particularly Floyd, ever wanted to do. They moved onto the motherfield.

Ali and Foreman got a combined £70m in todays money from a bankrupt dictatorial shithole in Africa, with a massive logistics operation put in place to get the fight hosted, and with the dictator taking out a thousand people and shooting them dead the weeks before the fight to make sure "Order" was ensured.

Now thats a big fight.

28. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Like I keep saying, it's the biggest fight of all time in terms of morons arguing across the wires, in terms of PPV, in terms of "Urban Community", in terms of Ghetto Blacks vs Dog-Eating Pinoys, in terms of Collared Greens vs Duck Dumplings, in terms of what arse-enhanced hos's and white-scarf, gatecrashing motherfuckers will be at ringside.

In terms of people living through their favoured fighter, in terms of people who have nothing to do with boxing, in terms of all of that....its big.

Introduce other factors.............and its status as the biggest fight erodes, rapidly.

29. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Not sure I'd agree with this. U.S., perhaps. Worldwide, highly doubt it. There are Formula One drivers and soccer players I'd bet are more well known worldwide than Floyd and/or Lebron.

Secondly, and I've said this about athletes and entertainers, in some ways social media hurts celebrities. It's taken away the mystery and aura for athletes and entertainers. The constant flow of information, in my opinion, is a negative. There's a thread on this board about Prince and the question came up as to why he still receives so much respect after all these years. I think that's partially due to the lack of constant influx of every single thing he does. I think the same holds true for athletes.

With that said, to me, while social media has made athletes and celebrities more accessible it's also made them less interesting. Since you weren't constantly fed stories about Leonard and Tyson on an endless 24 hour loop when you did get a quote from them, saw an article in Ring magazine or saw one of their fights...it made it more interesting. I'm sure everyone on this board could recite every single quote Floyd will have prior to and after the fight (the same goes for Manny).

I'm not on the edge of my seat for this one. I still have the Ring magazine issue with the headline "The Fight To Save Boxing." That was for De La Hoya vs Mayweather. Boxing is a cockroach encased in iron.

30. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    :bears: :bears: