Fights AS Big or BIGGER than FLOYD -PAC...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by REEDsART, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Tim Duncan is more Recognizable than mayweather jr

2. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    I wouldnt know Lebrons face but I've heard the name (probably the rape scandal). Never done heard of this peyton character.

3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    That was Bryant no...."MUH DICK"!!!

4. Dog Jones

Dog Jones WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Tyson-Stinks was a fight for the undisputed HW title and contested between the top two undefeated P4P fighters, so I guess that makes it a bigger deal than Floyd-Pac.

That fight happened on a Monday too, imagine Floyd-Pac on a Monday :lol:

5. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
  6. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

You're just trying too hard to fight with Irish. His points are valid. The bolded above is a large part of his point--this fight was much 'bigger' had it happened when these guys were #'s 1 and 2 on most p4p lists...

Of course, now it's "bigger" because it will do bigger numbers now than it would have.

So, he asked you to define "bigger" and you initially left the door open. He made valid arguments and you guys started arguing points that were not relevant.

The joys of fightbeat, I guess...

7. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    I have no Beef with Reed per se. He places a value on certain things, me I place a value on others.

For him, its "BIG" according to his values.

Neither of us are right or wrong, merely we both disagree on what constitutes "BIG".

8. mikE

I don't think it will, though. Today's advantages will create a bigger audience, but Lewis-Tyson created more passion and interest overall.

9. mikE

This is all correct.

I am leaning Pacquiao against Mayweather because Floyd (current Floyd) is a very overrated fighter right now. But, it doesn't matter what happens in the ring because this fight is destined to be diminished in importance by hindsight for most metrics.

10. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    given today's social media and peak internet usage, this fight is not big at all, really

imagine past fights in today's era

no one knows who Floyd is even with the benefit of being able to look at their mobile phone to see him

11. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Regardless of the outcome, historically Manny's had the better career.

12. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    if the fight is close I'd probably rate Pac higher historically whoever wins

13. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

What if Floyd wins like 10-2?

14. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

Monday Night...I think it could work actually.

15. Hanz

Hanz Roberto Duran

There's been no trash talking of any kind from either side. The hype is rather dull so far. Tyson/Lewis hype was phenomenal. Nothing can ever beat that.

16. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Sly has been in touch with me. He says you better all buck up your ideas.

17. mexican wedding shirt

I see him lurking.

18. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    What a bunch of hyperbolic bullshit this fight is.

Biggest Fight Ever? What a crock!

Only reason it's supposedly going to be as big as it is, is because we are fucking starving for a big event as boxing fans. Boxing is in such an utter fucking morass of uninteresting fights, we go fucking crazy over two guys who are at a similar point in their careers as Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Roberto Duran III.

Dollars don't mean shit. Most of that is simply a product of the technology that is available to us at this time, to beam it into peoples homes and charging assholes more then their entire cable bill for that month.

There was a time when entire stadiums would be built in the months leading up to a specific fight, and then torn down afterwards. Wake me up when that shit happens again.

19. mexican wedding shirt

OK grandad.

20. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

More hyperbole! :nono:

21. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/04/sports/tyson-spinks-accord-reached.html

February 4, 1988

Tyson-Spinks Accord Reached

By PHIL BERGER

<META content="The New York Times Company" itemprop="name"><META content=http://www.nytco.com/ itemprop="url"><META content="NYSE NYT" itemprop="tickerSymbol">The heavyweight showdown between Mike Tyson, the undisputed champion, and Michael Spinks appears close to becoming a reality.

Shelly Finkel, the fight manager who volunteered last week to mediate the differences between Tyson's managers, Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs, and Spinks's promoter, Butch Lewis, said yesterday that both sides had agreed orally to terms.

Those terms will now be put into contract form, and if the Tyson and the Spinks camps sign, a site will be sought for a June bout.

The bidding is expected to be among two hotels in Las Vegas, Nev., Caesars Palace and the Hilton; Donald Trump, who owns Trump Plaza and Trump Castle in Atlantic City, and Madison Square Garden.

Trump is said to have the right of first refusal and he has said that if he wants the fight ''nobody else will get it.'' 'Biggest in History'

Finkel, who said he would be in charge of the closed-circuit and pay-per-view arrangements, expected the match to be ''the biggest in history.''

''The Ray Leonard-Marvin Hagler fight netted $30 million,'' Finkel said. ''This fight should do well in excess of that.''

Spinks generated interest in the match when he knocked out Gerry Cooney last June in Atlantic City. To fight Cooney, Spinks bolted Home Box Office's heavyweight unification series. When he did, he was stripped of his heavyweight title by the International Boxing Federation. Spinks, a former light heavyweight champion, became heavyweight champion when he beat Larry Holmes in September 1985. He successfully defended the I.B.F. title twice, in a rematch against Holmes and a subsequent bout against Steffen Tangstad.

Both fighters are undefeated. Tyson has a 33-0 record with 29 knockouts. Spinks is 31-0 with 21 knockouts.

When serious negotiations for a Tyson-Spinks fight began last month, Cayton and Jacobs offered Lewis a guarantee of $10.8 million and a percentage of net revenues. On Jan. 23, the day after Tyson knocked out Larry Holmes, Lewis told Tyson's managers he wanted a $15 million guarantee and a percentage of net revenues. The discussions broke off at that point, with Cayton saying he would no longer speak with Lewis.

That was when Finkel, a good friend of Jacobs, asked for and got permission to try to bridge the gap.

Finkel, who is the manager of Mark Breland and co-manager with Lou Duva of, among others, Meldrick Taylor, Pernell Whitaker and Tyrell Biggs, met Tuesday night with Lewis at the Friars Club in Manhattan. After some discussion, Lewis was satisfied enough to speak to Jacobs by phone.

''Just to say to him that I think we'd both done a good job for our fighters and that the fight was the best thing for boxing and the public,'' Lewis said yesterday. ''He said he felt the same way.'' Spinks Is Said to Get $13 Million

Both Lewis and Jacobs cautioned that no deal was final until it was signed.

Still, Cayton said, ''Jim and I feel the deal, as outlined, will be a very satisfactory business deal for Mike Tyson.''

Lewis said yesterday that Spinks would get a flat guarantee of around $13 million. Tyson would get the rest, minus expenses and a share for Don King, who is Tyson's promoter.

''Tyson takes a risk if the fight does not do well,'' said Finkel. ''If it does well, he makes a lot.''

In the past, Cayton and Jacobs have insisted that Lewis not have a role in the promotion. But Finkel said yesterday that although King would be ''in charge of most of the promotional things,'' Lewis would have an unspecified involvement.

''Part of the deal is for Butch to promote,'' said Finkel. Points on Both Sides
    Lewis credited Finkel for having brought the deal along to this point.

''Shelly Finkel has a way of sifting through and finding various points on both sides,'' Lewis said.

Finkel said that in his early meetings with Lewis, he was very calm, figuring that there was nothing to lose.

''But on Tuesday I was very nervous,'' he said. ''We were so close. I didn't want to see things come undone.''

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- Start UPT call -->[​IMG]<!-- End UPT call -->

22. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

it was a big enough fight to facilitate the return of Steve_dave, slydaft, and soon others shall follow

23. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Yeah OK.

Regardless.............This fight is Tulip Bulbs for the 21st Century

24. Hut*Hut

Involved in hyperbole
    About as big as Leonard-Hagler I think

25. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

I wouldn't recognise 'Lebron' if Lionel Messi was taking a penalty against him.

MTF

26. mexican wedding shirt

"Lebron" :atu:

I don't even know what sport he plays.

27. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Like, seriously, who the fuck is he? Manning I've heard of because I vaguely follow NFL. These other fuckers I've never heard of.

MTF :dunno:

28. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

its no coincidence the only the only british NBA player was that homo Amaechi

just because you mooks think Carl Froch is more famous than Lebron James, does not make it so.

29. mexican wedding shirt

Frock > "Lebron".

30. mikE

1. Ring p4p ratings in 1998:
      Oscar De La Hoya
    2. Roy Jones Jr.
    3. Evander Holyfield
    4. Felix Trinidad

Both Oscar and Trinidad undefeated at the time.
    Oscar then beat Quartey in early 1999, solidifying a claim to #1 greatly.

Holyfield was also outclassed against Lennox in early 1999. That left Roy.

Oscar's fandom amongst girls and effeminate Hispanic men at the time was off the charts. Pacquiao gets that type of love from his homeland, but neither Floyd or Manny is as big as Oscar was back then, especially in the USA.

I would say that Floyd vs Pacq is not bigger than DLH vs Trinidad in most ways (Irish arguments). It's more like DLH vs Floyd, with neither being as good as Floyd, but both being similarly big in the mainstream public as DLH at that time. It probably will be a little bigger in terms of ppv #'s, though. (Reed's arguments).