Fights You Watched Today

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Dec 24, 2020.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Who did you think took it? Iirc, I had it a draw the first time and for Chucho the second. Two incredibly well matched fighters.

2. Flo-Raiden

Flo-Raiden Undisputed Champion

I had Castillo edging it but Herrera did some good work in there as well. I've almost forgotten just how well schooled these 2 were.
    Been wanting to see a video of their first fight where Castillo stopped Herrera.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. George Crowcroft

Unfortunately, I don't think we ever will.

Flo-Raiden likes this.
  4. Jel

Jel WBC Champion

I had it to Herrera by 1 point. It was a very close fight between two very well matched fighters.

5. Flo-Raiden

Got around to rewatching Davila vs Duarte II and it is a grueling scrap of a fight. Davila looked impressive beating Duarte in the first fight but the second fight is an all out war. Still found the end of the fight to be disappointing and the cut that caused it was a headbutt, shouldn’t have been a TKO.

6. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Maybe it’s my hangover, but I thought Qawi edged this one out. I’m not mad at the decision because it was close.

But how do the rest of y’all feel about this one?

7. Flo-Raiden

This one is a very underrated all-out Mexican fight.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  8. George Crowcroft

Romero Anaya could have a brutal war with a heavy bag. The guy was simply incapable of being boring.

Jel and Flo-Raiden like this.
  9. Flo-Raiden

Can't believe I overlooked this gem of a fight. Great battle and a nice comeback story although I thought Duarte should have won that. He would later go on to beat Davila in a rematch which is another great fight as well.

Jel likes this.
  10. Boxingfan25

Boxingfan25 Undisputed Champion

George Dixon vs Chester Leon

This fight took place 115 years ago. Not a lot of footage of George Dixon exist today. Super rare. A couple of observations. If those fighters were around today they would not make a dime. This George Dixon guy was supposed to be one of the best of his generation and his primative skills(or lack of ) make Arturo Gatti look like Pernell Whitiker. It's interesting to see how much fighting(Pugilist)have evolved in 100 years. I would love to be a fly on the wall 100 years from now to see how much better boxers can become.

11. George Crowcroft

Just some background info; this isn't actually a real fight. Or even an exhibition, I'm pretty sure it was a scene for a silent film. But he never fought Chester Leon as a pro, and by 1906 he was long past his best. It was actually his final year as a pro, and some research indicates that Dixon had almost 800 fights in his career all together. I'm pretty sure there was a couple papers at the time which referred to him making his 32nd title defence or something stupid.

However, there is actually a small clip of a near prime before Gaby Canizales vs Jeff Chandler - as well as an extremely rare clip of Pete Herman.

Xplosive and Jel like this.
  12. Boxingfan25

Proof?

You do realize that just because a fight is not on boxrec.com it doesnt mean it didnt happen. Plenty of smoke rooms bouts are non-sanctioned. Even modern Era fighters have more fights then the ones that show up on their records. If you say that video is not a real fight and was acting whats the name of the movie?

13. George Crowcroft

What do you need proof for? If you think that's how Dixon boxed, knowing whether or not it's a real fight wouldn't change that opinion; same way it doesn't for people who watch the Greb footage.

I know, I literally said in that post that Dixon had HUNDREDS of fights that didn't appear on Boxrec. However, ask yourself, why would one of the extremely few which were filmed NOT be on there?

Regardless, give me a few days, I have a lot of newspapers I'd have to go through.

14. Boxingfan25

I do believe in evolution. I think athletes evolve overtime. Better training methods, better diet, supplements, better styles and technique. You strike as a boxing historian of a sort. Type of guy that romanticizes the "golden years of boxing" and equates older and ancient with better. I'm not one of those people. All sports evolve over time and theres no reason for me to believe boxing is any different.

15. George Crowcroft

You seem like the person who equates the word new with improved. I respect greats from any era, regardless of when.

As for boxing evolving, of course it evolves. But evolution doesn't mean improving, it means adapting to the new situation out of necessity. Boxing hasn't improved; it's changed. Throw Paul Butler in George Dixon's era and he'd be eaten alive by the schedule and roughness of it. Throw Young Griffo in today's era and he'd be viewed as a gimmick like Emmanuel Augustus. 80 years ago, you had Ezzard Charles, Willie Pep, Joe Louis, Archie Moore and Sugar Ray Robinson. Who has better technique today? Nobody. There's probably only been five men better than them SINCE. Boxing technique hasn't improved in the slightest since the rules became more modernised.

Athleticism has improved due to steroids and training methods; but general fitness hasn't. How many fighters now could comfortably go 20 rounds with a much higher emphasis on grappling? Very few.

Xplosive and Bep_Van_Klaveren_2 like this.
  16. Boxingfan25

I think we can agree to disagree. Ive ran into a lot of people like yourself that worship oldschool fighters and put them up on a pedestal. As if they were made of a different cloth than todays fighters. Somehow, faster, stronger, more technical, tougher ect. To me that's nothing more than legends and fables not based on anything scientific. Science tells us that sports "all sports" are constantly evolving and that would include boxing aswell. You take one of these skinny whiteboys from the 1900s and throw them in there with a guy like chocolatito how do you think they would do?? They would get torn to shreds. Evolution thats the key.

17. George Crowcroft

Please point to something actually scientific that proves boxing technique has improved in the last 80 years.

18. Boxingfan25

Oh fuck scientific proof lol? Look I can't hold your hand and walk you through every single example of how the sport has evolved and how the technique has improved over the last 80 years. But the evidence is there if you just do a little bit of research. But I will give you an example. Does the name George Benton ring a bell? Despite what some people may think the Mayweather's are not the ones that invented the Philly Shell/shoulder roll style. It was with George Benton this new innovated way of fighting was first seen as late as the 50s or 60s. The boxer and trainer is credited with creating this unique style that later the Mayweathers were famous for. This is just one of many examples that shows that boxing is constantly evolving.

19. George Crowcroft

So in short, you don't know shit.

There's nothing to point to, because it hasn't improved.

Retard.

Xplosive likes this.
  20. Boxingfan25

I just gave you an example of a technique that was invented in the last 80 years and never seen before prior to the (1950s) and used successfully by Mayweather who is considered by many one of the greatest defensive fighters of all time. So what do you mean there's no improvement?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  21. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    george benton was an excellent trainer

22. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Locche's shoulder roll was every bit as good as Floyd's in Locche's prime. What Locche lacked was Floyd's offensive talent. Defensively, he was just as gifted.

23. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Tyson Fury Vs Chisorah 1 and 2

I need to get a feel for how the 3rd fight will go

24. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    The bolo punch was invented by some Filipino middleweight and perfected by Cuban Hawk Kid Gavilan.

You know who Gavilan fought?

Bums like this.....dudes training on their porch on their own....

Screenshot_2022_1021_011840.jpg

Tells me all I need to know about these old timers....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  25. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    It's an amazing sport. Be the tenth best guy in the world in your division and you'll never win a fucking thing .....be the tenth best safety or defensive end and you'll make millions

26. Flo-Raiden

Boza Edwards vs Roberto Elizondo. Very underrated slugfest and also another great fight from 1982. Definitely worth checking out.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  27. Flo-Raiden

Muangchai Kittikasem vs Sot Chitalada 2. Very entertaining albeit one sided brawl. Hoping to find video of their first fight, which is probably just as entertaining.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Jel likes this.
  28. Flo-Raiden

Wilfredo Vazquez Sr vs Takuya Muguruma. My God this was a damn good fight, such brutality. I’m surprised this has been highly overlooked. Definitely worth checking out.

29. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Muguruma vs Juan Jose Estrada is also a war.

30. Flo-Raiden

I would love to see a video of that fight but it seems like I can't find it on YT. Takuya Muguruma is someone that doesn't get mention a lot but the guy was just so exciting to watch, like a Japanese Gatti.