FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR VS THOMAS HEARNS AT 147

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by lb 4 lb, Mar 30, 2007.

1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Who wins?

2. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Tommy.

3. CleanYourClock

CleanYourClock "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Hearns KO early rounds ...

This Floyd shit in MM needs to stop .... Floyd beat a couple of B-class fighters and people are on his nuts ...
    I hope these people understand that if Floyd was to retire right now , he would NOT be considered a great and would not even make a top ten list for all timers for ANY of the divisions he fought in ...

You don't make all time top 10 lists for beating Corrales , Castillo , and Baldomir ...

4. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Hearns easy. Too big, too strong, and that right hand if it lands would put any welterweight to sleep.

5. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Hearns for sure... probably by KO.

6. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Love Floyd, but I have a hard time seeing him last the distance with Tommy at 147. Hearns would take him out mid-to-late IMO.

7. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Not even 1nce was Tommy Hearns OUTBOXED by an Opponent...Floyd's ONLY Chance would B to OUTBOX Hearns...

Hearns would TOWER over Floyd,he'd have about 2-3 MILES N Reach & He'd B the QUICKEST,HARDEST Punching Fighter Floyd's EVER Fought...

STYLES Make Fights & Hearns' Style is ALL WRONG for Floyd...

Either Floyd EVADES Punishment En Route to a Unanimous Decision LOSS or Floyd Gets STRETCHED N about 7 or 8 Rounds...

REED:blobbox:

8. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Floyd is in the top three at 130.

Arguello, Mayweather, and Chavez...Or you can put Nelson in there too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  9. CleanYourClock

I guess you are entitled to your opinion. However there have been allot of fighters that fought at or around 130 throughout history.
    I think if you researched it a bit , you might change your mind ..

BTW , what elite fighters did Floyd beat at 130 to make you think this ?
    I didn't see any on his record ..

10. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    What exactly do you consider elite?

If you're the best fighters around that weight class, you're elite, IMO. Genaro Hernanez was considered the top 130 lb fighter at the time. I don't know about The Ring, but I have the issues at home of KO magazine where Hernandez was ranked #11 on the p4p list in 1998 shortly before he fought PBF. Diego Corrales was ranked #5 p4p on the year end issue of The Ring with Felix Trinidad on the cover, winning Fighter of the Year for 2000, right before Corrales fought PBF.

I have researched it, tell me who should be ranked higher. Forget ten, name me five fighters who deserved to be ranked higher at junior lightweights. The top five 130 lb fighters are probably (in no order) PBF, Arguello, Nelson, JCC, and Serrano.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  11. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    That is it exactly. Hearns was nightmare for all slick boxers

12. CleanYourClock

Just because you are the best in your division at the time does not make you elite. Baldomir , Gatti at one point , so on and so fourth. You can throw in most of the recent heavyweight champs as well ...

Being on top just doesn't make you elite ...
    Hernandez and Corrales are both B-class fighters ...

Floyd had an impressive and great run at 130 but not enough to even come close to being in the top 3 all time list.
    It might not be his fault. He was there at a point in time where there were no fellow greats for him to fight ....
    However , it is what it is ... Also if Floyd does not fight fellow greats , how can we consider him great ? Allot of fighters look the part when they aren't fighting elite fighters.
    The up coming Oscar fight will be the first time Floyd is stepping into the ring with an elite fighter ...
    Even if he loses , if he gives a good account of himself and continues to fight the same caliber of opponent after Oscar , then he can be considered for greatness ...

13. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    What fellow greats did the other great 130 lb fighters beat?

Julio Cesar Chavez beat Mario Martinez for a vacant 130 lb. belt. He squeaked by Juan Laporte and win another close fight over Rocky Lockridge. He beat some other contenders like PBF"s uncle and Ruben Castillo. What great did Chavez beat?

What great did Alexis Arguello beat at 130? The best guy he beat at 130 was probably Alfredo Escalera, who shouldn't have even been a champion at the time since Tyrone Everett got bended over on a table (he was used to doing that) by the judges. Ruben Castillo was a very good fighter, but no great. Same goes for the tough Bazooka Limon and Bobby Chacon.

What great did Azumah Nelson beat at 130? He won the vacant belt against Mario Martinez in a controversial decision, was given hell by Suarez before hitting him after the bell. What, J.J. Leija and Gabe Ruelas were great fighters? Jeff Fenech was trying to win in his fourth weight class and should have gotten it the first time if the judges weren't blind or corrupt.

Furthermore, the whole logic of having to beat a great to be one makes no sense because you have to start somewhere. For instance, all you do is go on and on and say "who did he beat?". Felix Trinidad's best opponents before fighting Oscar were Oba Carr, Yori Boy Campas, and a shot coked-out Pea. But does anyone say that Tito was not a great fighter at that time? Or in his career? There's not many great fighters around. There's plenty of good and very good ones, and guys who beat them for a consistent period become great. Look at J.C. Chavez. His best wins were probably Rosario and Taylor. Who did they beat to become great? Ramirez, Bramble, McGirt? Look at Pernell Whitaker. He was great even before "drawing" with Chavez. He had beat mainly "good" but not "great" fighters except for Nelson who was above his best weight and on the downside anyway.

Again, name me these ten guys who should rank ahead of Floyd at 130. Or name me five.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  14. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    1. Alexis Arguello
    2. Julio Cesar Chavez
    3. Azumah Nelson
    4. Kid Chocolate
    5. Floyd Mayweather
    6. Sandy Saddler
    7. Flash Elorde
    8. Johnny Dundee
    9. Alfredo Escelara
    10. Sam Serrano
    11. Hector Camacho
    12. Brian Mitchell
    13. Todd Morgan
    14. Benny Bass
    15. Bobby Chacon
    16. Rocky Lockridge
    17. Cornelius-Boza Edwards
    18. Diego Corrales
    19. Genaro Hernandez
    20. Tyrone Everett

15. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    tremendous list. I like it a lot

16. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

NICE List...

REED Still ISN'T Sure that the 4 Guys AHEAD of Floyd Actually DID More @ that Weight,but it's All Subjective...

REED

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  17. CleanYourClock

Yeah but , I never propped any of those fighters up at 130 ...
    Also , they have all fought fellow greats . Maybe not at 130 but , they have atleast fought them.
    Floyd has not done that as of this moment ...

18. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Huh?

You said Floyd was not top ten at any weight class he's fought in. I'm asking you to name these ten guys who rank higher at 130 lbs.

19. CleanYourClock

My point was that the other fighters you mentioned that were great that did not fight other greats at 130 atleast went on to fight other greats even if it wasn't at 130.
    In other words , maybe they didn't fight the best at 130 but , they went on to fight some of the best at higher weight classes.
    In turn this might bump them up in the rankings because even though they may have only beaten B-class fighters at 130 , you know they are capable of winning or having a good fights against elite fighters.
    For example , If a fighter beats several b-class fighters for a belt at 130 , then moves up to say 135 and fights several elite fighters , you can use good "judement" to know that they would have ranked high at 130 if given the oportunity fight other greats.

An even better example would be Roberto Duran ... He did shit at 140 ... However knowing what he did at 135 & 147 , I'd say its a fair bet he would have been a great 140lber if he stayed there or had the opportunity to fight other elite fighters..

Floyd fought some B-class fighters and has yet to step in the ring with an elite fighter ...

I'm not sure if you can see the point I'm making here ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  20. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    What a fighter does at a higher weight class shouldn't matter when ranking them at another. Some fighters are better when they move up, some fighters aren't as good when they move up.

A fighter winning or losing a fight at 140 lbs or whatever has nothing to do with his ranking at 130. Manny Pacquiao has done great things at 126 and 130, but that has no bearing on his flyweight rankings all-time. It only matters when ranking him at 126, 130, and all-time, but not at flyweight.

Besides, Chavez's performances against "greats" aren't impressive, unless you consider Rosario and Taylor as "greats", but he's still one of the greatest ever at 130.

What ten guys rank higher all-time than PBF at 130?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  21. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

I go away for a few months and people are still coming up with this type of shit.

Joe Louis wouldn't be an all time great with your logic because, with the exception of Joe Walcott, his reign consisted of hasbeens and never weres.

Floyd wouldn't be a top ten in any division he's been in? When he's undefeated and defeated top contemporaries in Castillo, Corrales, Hernandez etc.

Which great Heavyweight did Larry Holmes ever beat?

This logic is so juvenile it hurts..

22. CleanYourClock

:laughing: :laughing:
    Whats up Stafford .... I'll give you a pass this time cause you have been gone awhile ....

Welcome back ! :clap:

23. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    in round 2:

old man Mosley - jab to the body, tap upstairs put Floyd on queer street

Thomas Hearns - jab to the body, right upstairs KO's iron chinned Duran

:popcorn:

24. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Jesus, I hope CleanYourClock stays away. What a fence post that guy was.

25. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I say Hearns via 15 round UD.

Mayweather is slippery and precise with counters so he'll get in some shots and make it competitive. But Hearns' size, speed, jab, and right hand is too much of a package for even Mayweather to deal with.

I think Hearns hurts Mayweather late in the fight but Mayweather's skill will allow him to last the full 15. But he'll come out on the wrong end of the decision.

26. TLC

TLC "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Mayweather by UD

27. Ramonza Soliloquies

Ramonza Soliloquies "Twinkle Toes" McJack

It's a pretty horrible style match-up for Mayweather. Like Whitaker, I don't think he has the answers for this particular challenge. I have to side with Hearns.

28. V10

V10 Undisputed Champion

No fighter unable to hurt Hearns could beat him IMO.

So yeah, Floyd and Pernell would fit in there. The fact that they come from 130-135 to face a freaking huge Welterweight doesn't help either.

29. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Mayweather has no chance here, none.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  30. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

I agree that Hearns would be favoured (height, speed, power, boxing ability) but to say that Mayweather has no chance is asinine.

Floyd's left hook can certainly put Hearns on queer street...and Floyd has better stamina and defense.