George Foreman v Anthony Joshua

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Rich ´Money´ Mustard, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

George Foreman: circa 1974, 6´3¨ and 225lb with a 78.5¨ reach
    vs
    Anthony Joshua: 2018, 6´6¨ and 245lb with a 82¨ reach

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

74 George would fuckin kill AJ.

3. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Yeah Foreman punches too hard for AJ.

Even though AJ has the height and the reach, he's pretty stiff in the upper body and I don't think he has the imagination or creativity of Ali to pull off a rope a dope.

I could see AJ hurting Foreman for sure. But when Foreman hurts AJ, it's more than likely the beginning of the end.

Foreman KO 5

4. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

I watched Foreman x Norton yesterday and I was shocked at how Foreman is way too open and wild....a modern day heavy, accurate puncher with height/size/reach advantage would have little problem finding the target.

Look at Foreman's resume leading into the Ali fight: a bunch of cans or short / smaller-built heavies.

His big wins: Frazier and Norton.
    205 and 215, respectively.
    And neither guy was knocked-out or couldn't get off the canvas.
    In fact this was something Ali pointed out.

Joshua would pose a huge problem for Foreman.

5. Xplosive

This thread is gonna look comical if Wilder KO's AJ. I pick Joshua to beat Wilder, but just saying..

AJ is too just too stiff, and too hittable for 70s Foreman. And if two feet in the grave Wald can drop him...

LOL @ "modern day heavyweight". As if the skill/power level of the division has gone up...

Don't get too hyped over all the roids Joshua takes. Foreman was physically stronger.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Wilder KO Joshua?
    Yep it'll be funny for sure - especially for the UK hype train (of which I'm not on BTW)

But in two posts you're almost assessing speed & movement as the only two factors required to beat Foreman in 1974 because Ali possessed those two attributes.

The problem is, Ali stopped using those two attributes after Rd2 because they were nullified by Foreman cutting-off the ring.

7. Xplosive

What I'm saying is AJ is a stationary guy with a questionable chin, and when you're a stationary guy with a questionable chin I can't favor you over arguably the biggest puncher that ever lived.

And for all the talk about AJ's vaunted power... he took 11 rounds to put away a fragile old man... and took 10 rounds to put away that uber bum he fought in his last fight.

I'm not being nostalgic when I say that neither AJ nor Wilder could hang with the heavyweight greats. Neither guy is that good... they're just the best the division has to offer today.

I repeat, prime Foreman kills AJ.

At this point, I wouldn't be confident taking AJ over Razor Ruddock, let alone George Foreman.

8. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

This is my point: he gets labelled the ´Biggest Puncher That Ever Lived´ because history, hype and legend dictates to everyone that he is.
    He was a great frontrunner from 1969-74. Anytime after that, if you threw punches back and didnt show you were intimidated, you could drop Foreman and/or outwork him. He was as mentally weak as Mike Tyson when faced with someone who punches back, i.e. a bully.

As for Joshua beating a fragile, old man - sure he was old and was mentally fragile but he turned up, still had some sped and kovement and that great punch, straight down the middle would´ve dropped and stopped any heavyweight - it was as brutal as anything Foreman threw. Just because Foreman had that big, wide-arc swinging punch and looked powerful shouldnt confused people with ´power´.
    Plus, from what I could se, it took Foreman´s accumulation of punches to beat guys.

9. Xplosive

This is ridiculous. Questioning Foreman's power is like saying prime Leonard wasn't all that fast.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Ali questioned it pre and post fight.

He never questioned Earnie Shavers´ power though.

These matchups are also like saying ´Of course, Norton, Frazier, Quarry, Ellis, Lyle, etc, wouldnt cope with Marciano´s power´.

11. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

It’s still a little early to pick. AJ May have been dropped by Wlad but George was dropped twice by Lyle and Wlad hits harder than Lyle. George was also more hurt by Lyle than Aj was by Wlad. We will know more after Parker and Wilder.

12. puerto rock

For me, while AJ may have been more gassed than hurt against Wlad, but due to his fightig style he is an open target, something you don't wanna be against a young Foreman.

I think Foreman's power would simply overwhelm him.

13. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Was that bum named Peralta, Ribalta or Mavrovic perhaps?

Foreman as the far more proven guy is the favorite by default and deserves to be too, but Mostrada makes good points

14. Xplosive

I guess some people just see something in Joshua that I dont. People talk about his immense talent that I just don't see.

Foreman is pretty underrated on this forum in general.

15. Destruction and Mayhem

I don't think Foreman is underrated at all. General consensus around here is that he's a top 5 all time heavyweight.

AJ is largely unproven (parker and Wilder fights will tell us all we need to know) but what we do know so far is that he puts his punches together well and is a good finisher. For a man his size he has good handspeed, good punch repertoire and his power is without question. He doesn't have Lewis/Tyson power but he's a PUNCHER and there's no doubt about that.

I see no reason why AJ wouldn't have been able to KO both Norton and Frazier...he's a much bigger man than the guys those two were used to facing and he hits bloody hard. Don't underrate his victory over Wlad. Wlad was still in good shape and seemed particularly motivated and most importantly still had his power. To survive a Wlad onslaught after being dropped answers a lot of questions.

16. Xplosive

At this point, I wouldn't even pick AJ to BEAT Frazier, let alone stop him.

The disrespect for the greats from you guys like you, Ugo, and Mostarda is getting ridiculous.

Let's be clear... not every single heavyweight in history w/power KOs prime Frazier!

The fact that a man whose crowning achievement is stopping an old, washed up Klit gets more respect than a man who beat a non-prime, but still MUCH left in the tank version of Ali is fucking absurd.

AJ has done NOTHING to suggest he'd beat Frazier.

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Interesting. You pick Ortiz to beat Wilder but still refer to AJ/Wilder as a fight AJ will need to prove himself.

18. Destruction and Mayhem

Assuming Wilder beats Ortiz.

IF Wilder beats Ortiz, then Wilder would have proven to be better than I thought he was and if so, for AJ to beat him, it would have answered a great many questions.

Hope that helps...

19. Destruction and Mayhem

What large Heavyweights with power did Frazier ever beat?

20. Destruction and Mayhem

AJ is too big for Frazier. AJ is no Ellis, Bonavena or Quarry. He's much bigger than even Foreman was. If Frazier is deemed as too big for Marciano then imagine what AJ is to him. Also AJ fights well up close and in the trenches. The likely scenario is that he fucks up that little one dimensional left hooker before Joe is given time to start to "smoke".

21. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Sly's repeated position on Joe Frazier is one of the most absurd things I've ever read. It is literally beyond ridiculous.

MTF

cdogg187 likes this.
  22. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

For all of AJ's 'vaunted power', he needed 11 rounds and a ref to finally stop a 40yr old man most round here thought was a chinny faggot in his prime. The 'stoppage' in the last fight was an absolute disgrace; one of the most corrupt, fully paid-up ref 'stoppages' you could ever see. He hit that Brazeale bloke, who was about three chains short of being a heavy bag, with about a hundred absolutely unanswered punches before he finally stopped him. How many blokes has Joshua actually laid spark out, with a single punch? Like Lewis did? Or Tyson?

Don't get me wrong, he's an aggressive, fun guy to watch and he certainly has decent power, but relative to his size, I don't think he hits all that hard at all, really. Considering how many free shots he has hit loads of totally overmatched guys in the face with, he doesn't seem to actually knock many blokes out.

MTF

23. Destruction and Mayhem

Joe Frazier is overrated. Sure he beat Ali...but that was Ali’s Third fight after a 3 year layoff and Ali was never the same after his forced retirement. Also he had the style to give Ali problems. But who else did Frazier beat? Bugner , bonavena, quarry, Ellis? Please

24. Destruction and Mayhem

I agree with MTF that AJ doesn’t have one punch power like Tyson or Lewis but he puts his punches together much better than Lewis does and he’s huge and very aggressive.

25. puerto rock

Joe's workrate and ability to pick off punches and slip them is a package that AJ has never seen. AJ would have a terrible time fending off Jos, who wouldn't stop coming when AJ begins to gas.

26. Destruction and Mayhem

AJ wouldn’t have to worry about Frazier’s stamina or his own...as he’d bomb the much smaller fighter out of there in under 5 rounds

27. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Yup...

28. Destruction and Mayhem

I’m the only one that keeps it real where Frazier is concerned.

29. puerto rock

Very unlikely he'd bomb out Frazier that early. Extremely unlikely.

30. Destruction and Mayhem

On the contrary, very likely.

Frazier was dropped twice in the early rounds by Bonavena. Only Puncher Frazier fought was Foreman (not counting Foster who was a light heavyweight). Not only is Joshua a puncher but he's MUCH bigger than Frazier. He bombs him out.