Golovkin Vs Canelo - who wins?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mexican wedding shirt, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Who wins - Alvarez or Golovkin?

1. Golovkin

78.4%
  2. Alvarez

21.6%
  1. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Alvarez has been a heavier fighter than golovkin the past few years. Hes younger so he's been able to cut to 154 but I can't declare he's smaller just because he lacks the same discipline

Jacobs was BALCO'd up and fought smart so he has swayed the odds. Alvarez seems to have tried to do the same as he looks bulkier but that cant help him against an onslaught of punches. I'm not betting less than I planned 3 years ago

Punk likes this.
  2. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

How do you see the fight playing out?

3. Punk

Punk "Twinkle Toes" McJack Staff Member

KO or points?

I'm thinking Alvarez will turtle up late and go the distance, nice odds there too.

4. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    Just regular golovkin to win. I'm sure it will get to even odds at some point the weekend of the fight

5. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED Thinks the Weigh-In Photo's and the Degree Triple G has to DRAIN Himself, @ 35 Years of Age, Will Be More Telling...

Canelo is Younger and will REPLENISH Himself Easier, Obviously...

REED:cool:

6. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

While Never HURT, Triple G was Certainly RESPECTFUL of Jacobs' Shots...He FELT Kell Brook's Shots Too, Who's SMALLER than Canelo...

Triple G's Chin Seems SOLID, for Sure, but Canelo Hits MORE than Hard Enough w/Both Hands, to Hurt Him...And he Puts his Punches Together in a Way his Opponents AREN'T Always Braced For...Canelo's Punch Sequences AREN'T Predictable...

7. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

I wish that is how the bout develops, but I am afraid we will witness a boring chess game.

8. mexican wedding shirt

As far as I know, GGG does not drain himself at all. He comes into camp weighing under 170 (less than Gregory walks around at) and makes 160 easily. Strange but true, he was lighter than Brook at every weigh in leading up to the fight.

9. mexican wedding shirt

I agree he was respectful of Jacobs's shots (and boxing ability) but I disagree he felt Brook's shots. I think Brook caught him by surprise a couple of times, but he took them like nothing. After the fight he was even uncharacteristically disrespectful, scoffing at his power and saying "He is not middleweight" etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think Canelo hits hard enough that he can't just walk him down without a care in the world like Floyd did to Conor "Pillow Fists" McGregory and just eat them like nothing, but at the same time I don't see Canelo hurting him. I think once he gets into his groove, Gennady will be less mindful of Canelo's power, and be more aggressive than he was against Danny.

10. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

If Alvarez is standing at the

At least Golov can say he's faced several dangerous punchers?

What dangerous punchers has Ginger faced?

11. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

If you Want to Go Tit for Tat, Who's Faced More LIVE Opposition???...Who's Endured and Overcome More ADVERSITY???...Who's Faced Superior Handspeed and Ring Intellect???...

People Want to Focus on Khan, Smith and Chavez, Jr., but there's NO Doubt Canelo's Resume SHITS on Triple G's...

REED Can't Wait for this Fight, so Canelo Can FINALLY Get the Respect he Deserves Around This Bitch...

12. Xplosive

Canelo's never proven he can endure adversity and win. Never.

13. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Bullshit....

Early in his Career, Miguel Cotto's Brother Very Nearly STOPPED Canelo in the 1st Fucking Round...Canelo was Badly Hurt, Shook it Off, Dropped Cotto a Round or So Later, and Eventually STOPPED Him...

If that Ain't "Enduring Adversity and Winning", What IS???...

14. Xplosive

Bums don't count.

Tony Ayala Jr was dropped early in his career by Mario Maldonado, and came back to slaughter him. Does that prove that Ayala could endure adversity?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Canelo has Victor Ortiz like bitch him.

But I could envision him being like a Kostya Tszyu like front runner.

15. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Uuuuh, ANY Moment You've Endured Legitimate Adversity COUNTs, Bruh...

Canelo Was Certainly No Established Product @ that Point, he was Still BUILDING His Brand...Badly Hurt Early, he Sucked it Up and Stopped Cotto...To Show that Type of Fortitude @ a YOUNG Age Said Something about him...

Andre Ward was Dropped and Hurt by Bums on his Way Up Too, and it Foreshadowed his Fortitude...Any Time a Fighter is Forced to Dig Deeeeeeeeeeeeeep a Bit, and Come Out Victorious, is a Plus...

@ This Stage of his Career, Canelo Fully Understands His Standing Amongst his People and What it Means to Be THE Marquee Mexican Fighter of his Generation...And After Seeing How Mexican Fans Rightfully TRASHED Chavez, Jr. for his Non-Performance in May, the LAST Thing Canelo Will Do is Go Out Like a Bitch...

If Anything, You Should Be Wary of Triple G Exaggerating the Effects of Body Blows and Looking Like he Wants Out, ala, Sergey Kovalev...For Whatever Reason, Guys Who Are Deemed Damn Near Invincible Seem to Crash and Burn HARDER, 1nce Adversity Rears its Head...

16. Xplosive

I've never ever deemed Golov invincible, bruh. Never. Perhaps some of his Eastern Euro groupies have done that over the years, but not I.

I've been the one CHECKING his fanatical groupies back when they were saying that he coulda beaten Jones, Hagler, Hopkins, ect...

I was also the one disagreeing with his groupies when they said that he could move up to 168 and beat Ward. I said from the jump that Ward would be too much for him.

Golov losing to Canelo isn't outta the realm of possibility.... I simply see Golov as the better fighter. I think Canelo is currently pretty fuckin overrated.

P.S... matter fact, SLY is the one who said that Golov woulda beaten Hagler.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Hagler never beat a guy as formidable as GGG so me saying that isn't outlandish. They were equivalent talents and it would be a guaranteed distance fight and guaranteed to be competitive. If Hagler could lose to Watts and Monroe and draw with Antuofermo...and have a tough fight with an old former lightweight a guy like GGG could certainly have won a decision against him. You are too tied up with name recognition and historical legend to think objectively about head to head matchups.

18. Xplosive

Objectively speaking, Hagler would have beaten the crap outta Golov.

19. Destruction and Mayhem

Nonsense.

20. Destruction and Mayhem

I'm a Hagler fan so I don't want to say something which will be deliberately misconstrued as me hating on the guy ( as that fool xplosive is prone to doing)....but the fact is that Hagler never dominated a guy on GGG level; a true middleweight that was a dominant as GGG has been. Minter Sibson and these guys were not on GGG level and Mugabe, Duran and Hearns were not career middleweights.

Let's be objective please

21. Xplosive

Objectively speaking, given that Golov barely edged Jacobs, I'd make him an underdog against Hearns.

22. Destruction and Mayhem

GGG is older now, I'm speaking about a prime GGG. Also...he'd kill Hearns and you know it

23. Xplosive

Pretty sure you're THE ONLY one on the forum who thinks he'd "kill Hearns".

Lemme get this straight... he loses to Canelo in your book, but "kills Hearns". And you wanna talk to me about objectivity? lol

24. Destruction and Mayhem

You missed an important point....GGG is old now and I believe he's on the slide. The killing of Hearns is based on him being prime. You're either stupid and lack comprehension skills or else you're trolling.

Secondly...Canelo and Hearns are different fighters. Hagler KILLED Hearns but went to distance with Duran and many other fighters who Hearns would have beaten.

Why are you being disingenuous in your arguments? Stop being a cunt

25. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Hearns vs GGG is a real hard fight to pick. Hearns should win, but his chin might let him down

26. Destruction and Mayhem

If hearns wasn't in love with his power he could win. Problem is that Hearns was puncher first, boxer second. He'd wear himself out trying to knock out GGG and get knocked out himself for his troubles in around 7 rounds.

27. Xplosive

Given that he was buzzed by the right hand of Brook, we have to entertain the possibility that Golov might not even handle Hearns' power.

It's not like Golov has this proven all time great chin like Hagler, or Chavez.

I think he'll handle Canelo's power fine, but that won't give us an answer, since Canelo's left hook doesn't even come close to sniffing Tommy's right cross.

I'm definitely not saying that I'd take Hearns without hesitation, but based on all we've seen, I would make Tommy the favorite.

You're notorious for crimincally UNDERRATING Hearns.

28. mexican wedding shirt

Xplosive, when was he buzzed by Brook's right hand? My perception is he took Brook's punches like they were nothing. Brook landed one uppercut that got his attention, but I think it was more down to just not seeing it coming.

29. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

I think Brook landed shots that GGG did not expect to be hit by, but I do not think that Brook buzzed him. If anything it just pissed Golovkin off.

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  30. Destruction and Mayhem

Nah...Hearns was badass and I acknowledge that. Leonard speed, McClellan power, Mayweather boxing ability. Bad bad man. He could certainly hurt GGG. Thing is though with the pressure GGG would put on him, Hearns would be forced into a firefight at some point and you have to figure that GGGs better chin would mean Hearns undoing. Hearns was relatively easy to hurt once you were able to close the gap and GGGs jab and body attack would allow him to slow down the hit man.