Great undercard for floyd jr/dlh

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by mikE, May 1, 2007.

1. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    As TFK said earlier, though, casual fans can become dedicated fans of such fighters if they see them enough. The only way guys like Trinidad and Ricardo Lopez became known was being showcased on Chavez and Tyson undercards throughout the mid-90's. Are you going to tell me that neither of those fighters deserved to be paid attention to throughout the 90's?

Hell for that matter, almost all of King's PPV's during Tyson's incarceration were packaged as 4 championship fights, rather than just Chavez vs whoever, and three other fights.

Undercards aren't time-fillers or means to keep people "entertained." They're supposed to serve as showcase slots. Without network support, PPV undercards become the last means for ways to showcase other fighters not quite ready for prime-time, but perhaps too good for the ESPN and Telefutura circuit. Of course, such outlets are no longer properly utilized, but that is supposed to be the purpose it serves, not an extra two hours to chow down on wings and shoot the shit waiting for the main event.

2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Thus far, nearly all of Chavez Jr.'s exposure has come on PPV under-cards. Is someone going to tell me his repeated appearances have done nothing to further his career?

3. Hanzy

Hanzy "Twinkle Toes" McJack

If there were 2 young undefeated heavyweights on the undercard of saturday night's DLH/Floyd ppv, and one heavyweight blew his opponent away in Tua/Ruiz fashion, I believe, on such a grand stage of a major ppv, that would elevate his stock considerably and many many people would want to see more of this guy. Yahoo and Google searches for him would be considerable.
    The undercard for such an event is a great platform for fighters to gain notoriety. Slystaff on the other hand seems to think people are just looking at their watches awaiting the main event and give no damn about the undercard.:dunno:

4. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Only hardcore fans even know who chavez jr is....

5. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Is everyone deliberately missing my point?

I'm not talking about exposing talent by means of undercards...I'm ONLY talking about the fact that undercards DO NOT bring casual fans into the sport, it is the main event that does this.

Trinidad's undercard fights were not important to casual fans (outside Puerto Rico)...

Everyone knows this to be true...why argue against this.

A casual fan...BY DEFINITION...only knows the fighters in the main event (as a rule) and so is only affected by those fights.

People (not hardcore fans) don't care to see a GREAT fight between two unknown fighters any more than I...not being a HARDCORE basketball fan...care to see a great basketball game between two unknown college teams.

Ya get me?

6. Hanzy

bad example. Undercard fighters are given the ppv platform to show their stuff, leading to the main event. Like I said, just imagine if a young undefeated heavyweight stepped in there on an undercard fight of a huge ppv event and blew a poor sob into the 4th row in 18 seconds, are you saying people would not be interested in knowing more about this young sensation? Or would you have been looking at your watch during the action, wondering when the hell the main event is starting? LOL!

7. Jake

Home Page:
    Your initial point was that this undercard being light doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Everyone is telling you you're wrong. We're not arguing that it's needed to better sell the show - the event sells itself.

We're saying that it certainly can't hurt boxing any to showcase other potential stars on its biggest show of the year. Instead, this card - if used as a reflection on the sport - accentuates the mainstream claim that no other fighter than DLH is relevant.

This is in line to my comment in the other thread to your simplistic view on things.

8. Jake

Home Page:
    As for your college basketball example:

Perhaps some people will only watch the championships, but even casual fans will take in at least some of the rest of the tournament. As a casual college basketball fan, I honestly don't give a shit who's playing: a good game is a good game. As a matter of fact, there were a lot of damn good games in the first few rounds of this year's tourney, only for the games that mattered most to not be quite as exciting, or even interesting other than it crowning a tourney champ.

9. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

So...you have to know the fighters in order to be affected by their fight?

There's a very good reason no one is backing you up in this thread. You're wrong.

10. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Sly, the premise of your argument is that "casual" fans don't care about good fights. That they don't enjoy good fights. And that all they care about is seeing ODH. I don't believe that to be true. I think once they've made the decision to watch boxing, and a good fight is on, they will enjoy it and make note of who was involved. When ODH is on, against PBF, it's one of the rare occasions when the first condition is met, such that the second one can also be met. Namely, that they've made the decision to watch boxing. This is the elusive part. Once it's been accomplished, the sport sells itself. So why not take advantage of a guaranteed first condition in order to bring about the second one?

11. jarhead

jarhead Undisputed Champion

Operations Manager
    the reference to Tito and Lopez was perfect. Undercards are to make tomorrow's PPV's. Rocky Juarez is a decent fighter, but not even close to tomorrow's PPV headliner. The casual fan might not care if the undercard sucks, but if you want that casual fan to buy a ppv in two or three years, the undercard SHOULD be important to the promoters and the network.

12. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

Bottomline:

In an event like this...the undercard is largely irrelevant. It may be relevant in Barrera/Marquez or another lesser fight...but for this event...it could have three or four undercard bouts filled with street brawlers for all i care.

Anyone paying for this is ONLY paying for Oscar vs Floyd.

13. Registered

Registered "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Technical Director
    Home Page:
    Rey Bautista is going to always be exciting. He can't make a boring fight with his style unlike Yawn Manuel Fagquez. :nono:

14. Jake

Home Page:
    Barrera/Marquez was a much better fight (from an action standpoint) than this will turn out to be.

Honestly, the fact that there's a shitty undercard made my six-month-long decision to not order this fight that much easier.

15. slystaff

slystaff Im Banned

You're not going to watch this fight live? :eek:

Anyway...I'm not talking about the amount of action (we don't KNOW as yet, how much action this fight will have...I think it'll surprised ALL OF YOU)...I'm talking about THE EVENT.

People are paying for THE EVENT (with the possible exception of yourself)

16. Jake

Home Page:
    If I watch it, it will be at a friend's house. But no, I never had any intention of ordering it (unless I was going to make a big fight party out of it).

Anyway, I think everyone understands what you're saying. I know I do - your point is that DLH-PBF is a stand-alone event that sells itself. But again, nobody's disputing that. It just seems like you're creating a separate argument from everyone else's point - which is that, true boxing fans would like to have a decent undercard.

The main event caters to the high rollers and A-list celebrities with F-list knowledge of boxing. IMO, the undercard should be a reflection of what else the sport has to offer.

A nice car on the outside looks less appealing when you see it doesn't have power locks, steering or a CD player on the inside. None of that shit gets you from A to B, yet still factors into your decision whether or not to buy the car.

17. Hanzy

:clap: Perfectly put.

18. LATIN KING

LATIN KING Undisputed Champion

if your used to ordering PPVs you should be used to not expect a good undercard. Sad to say but it is what it is. Whenever the undercard is good it means the main event is decent at best. Like the Barrera/Juarez rematch.

19. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Aren't you excited about Carlos Hernandez's upcoming fight on the undercard?, I am, I've always loved a man with the balls of a bull and the chin of a ballerina, it proves to be a spectacular combination for his opponents. He had potential though, just not in boxing, if he wasn't Carlos Hernandez, he might've been a decent fighter.