"I see myself stopping Canelo" - Danny Jacobs

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Hey Oscar, wanna make this matchup for May?

2. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Hbo signed jacobs. Seems highly likely this fight will take place.

3. Xplosive

The promo can go something like this... "The man has defeated CANCER, but now... he faces his toughest test.... can he defeat.... Canelo's judges?"

4. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:D

cdogg187 likes this.
  5. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

lol. I have to admit, that's pretty funny.

cdogg187 likes this.
  6. Destruction and Mayhem

Jacobs would give Canelo HELL! My only question is, can Jacobs take the body punches? It's conceivable that Canelo will use the same bodywork strategy he tried against GGG, but it'll work better against Jacobs. By the way...I don't see Jacobs stopping Canelo.

7. Double L

Double L Book Reader

I see jacobs able to really capitalize on canelo's inactivity and lazy spurt fighting.

8. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

It’s only a few body shots per round so Jacobs should be fine. Canelo has a big problem that people seem to have forgotten about or haven’t really mentioned that I’ve noticed and that is his lack of punch output. It’s what cost him the first GGG fight and why I will pick against him in the rematch.

9. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I read the fight is about to be signed, they're just waiting for Adelaid Byrd's score card to be submitted and they'll go ahead with the paperwork.

10. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

:D

11. Destruction and Mayhem

I'd pick GGG in a rematch. The reason why Canelo won so many early rounds against GGG in the first fight was because initially GGG was weary of Canelo's power. Now that he knows he can take the punches without too much bother he'll start fast and win a clear cut decision.

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  12. Xplosive

I agree, which is why Oscar is gonna wait until Golov is 42 before making the rematch.

13. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

If Canelo wants to take some stink away from the decision he was gifted, taking on Jacobs would be the best option. If he can beat him more convincingly that GGG did that will also help his cause even more. Doubt we'll see it happen right away though. Chances are they'll want another soft touch first and then play more games only willing to face Jacobs if a pile of conditions favorable to Alvarez are met.

Nothing to do with Alvarez, I just always find it hilariously revealing when boxers are asked who they're willing to face next. "ANYBODY ANY TIME. WE AREN'T SCARED OF ANYBODY!!!"

Then inevitably a name of a dangerous opponent is brought up and the backtracking starts immediately. From "anybody anywhere any time!" to "well umm ... I got to talk to my team and we have to see and umm ... you know it depends ..."

Fuck off.

14. Xplosive

At the end of the 12 rounds, Jacobs is gonna know he's getting screwed when he hears music playing in the background, "Ohhhhh Danny boyyyyyy, the judges, the judges are stalling."

15. Destruction and Mayhem

By the way, you've gotten increasingly bolder with your notion that GGG dominated Canelo in that fight and that it was a robbery. You feel safe in the protection of the fact that many people thought GGG won and some even suggested a ridiculous 9-3 scoreline in his favour. Fact of the matter though...is that immediately after the fight you said "GGG won IMO". "IMO" is only used...when someone feels that it's open to interpretation. Someone would never say "Thomas Hearns punches hard, IMO" or "Robert De Niro is a good actor, IMO". We only ever used that term (in my opinion) when we know it's open to interpretation. Therefore by YOUR OWN ADMISSION the draw result is no robbery.

The Prosecution rests.

16. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    The prosecution is fulla shite

IMO

17. Destruction and Mayhem

Exactly...it's your opinion.

The opinion of a jive ass turkey.

18. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Id pick jacobs but not with certainty...only certainty is a very interesting fight. Make it

19. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

:O

20. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

Look CANELO is about the MILLIONs.....Jacobs? Not even his momma likes him enough to buy a ticket...

21. lb 4 lb

GGG didn’t lose early rounds because he was wary of Canelo’s power. He fought Canelo the whole fight using pressure. It was the same way he always fights, coming forward virtually nonstop. There were a couple moments where Canelo actually backed GGG up but it was rare and definitely wasn’t consistent.

No, the reason Canelo won the early rounds was because he flat out outboxed GGG using ring generalship and head movement to make GGG miss and pay often. Canelo looked like a complete boxer most of that fight and early he easily looked like the better fighter and the guy who was going to win.

The reason Canelo lost the later rounds, got a draw and may not win the rematch is because he lacks the stamina to compete for 12 full rounds the same way he starts out. GGG’s constant pressure and nonstop punches is the perfect strategy against a better boxer like Canelo who also has shit stamina.

22. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Not directed to you per se, but I hate it when people call a guy who can do a couple of neat moves or look good for two rounds the 'better boxer'.

Endurance is one of the most important skills (yes, it is a skill) in boxing. You can help it by training but it is also about talent, about how relaxed you can be, how your concentration works and how energy-efficient your techniques are.

A guy who does well for a moment is not the better boxer if the other guy beats him up after that. Had GGG gone for an all-out attack in the first two rounds, he would probably have won them (and lost the fight)

23. lb 4 lb

So are you saying Canelo isn’t the better boxer? Because he didn’t just do a couple of nice moves he displayed better boxing skill and ring generalship than the much cruder 3G whose entire boxing skills are entirely offensive. 3G barely has any defensive ability whether that be slipping punches, stepping out of range or even the occasional clinch. He does catch some shots on his gloves but for the most part he blocks punches with his face.

I agree that stamina is a skill but I also believe it has roots in genetics. By that I mean some guys have to train harder than others to maintain a certain stamina level and I believe no matter how much or how hard Canelo trains he’ll always have shit stamina because it’s been an issue for him pretty much his entire career.

Also you’re right, had GGG gone all out in the first 2 rds he may have won them, but then again, maybe not.

24. mexican wedding shirt

Canelo is absolutely NOT the better boxer, not even close. He has some fancy counters and defense, but he's not an intelligent, thinking fighter in the ring.

Golovkin is the more intelligent, better boxer, with a deeper craft and set of skills in the ring.

Golovkin simply outboxed Canelo, but did it in aggressive fashion like he always does. That's what Golovkin is, an aggressive boxer. He outboxed Danny Jacobs too in the same way, and Jacobs is a very good boxer with a size and reach advantage.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Ugotabe Kidding and Xplosive like this.
  25. Xplosive

Anybody who thinks Canelo is a better boxer than Golov doesn't understand boxing. Period. If you think Canelo is a better boxer than Golov, it means you're enamored by flash instead of actual technical skill and substance.

26. Xplosive

I'm not gonna be super harsh on Canelo and say he's totally devoid of ring intelligence. LeMoo is totally devoid of ring intelligence, and we saw what Golov did to him. Canelo does think about what he's doing out there. His problem is, plain and simple, he's just not that talented. He's a GOOD talent, but we're not talking about a Rigo, Loma, or Crawford here. Canelo is limited in what he can do out there, so if his one gameplan isn't effective, he simply doesn't have the tools to turn it around. All he can do at that point is move, stall, spurt, and have confidence that Golden Boy's judges will save him.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  27. mexican wedding shirt

I actually find he's more talent based than intelligence. Is he completely devoid of intelligence? Of course not. He IS an entry level elite fighter, and so of course he thinks about what he's doing to an extent. More so than people like Khan. But he's not that clever in the ring. I don't think he's that good at thinking on his feet, adapting, exploiting opponent's weaknesses, varying gameplans, stuff like that.

He is more reactive than anything, and wins fights with his excellent countering ability, defence, and good power.

His major weakness of course IS stamina and workrate. If he had twice the gas tank, and subsequently twice the workrate, he'd be very hard to beat.

28. Xplosive

Yes, I would agree with all of this.

He's definitely more of a reactor than a thinker.

My point was, it takes a certain level of talent ALONG with brains to make on-the-fly adjustments in the ring. Much as I hate Floyd, he's the perfect the example. A fighter who had the brain to know what adjustments to make, and to the talent to execute those adjustments.

So, even IF Canelo knew what to do in certain situations, he's still a guy who's only 5'8, with short arms, and slow feet. He can only do so much.

29. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Im not sure crawford is more talented than Canelo. Look like he is, but its easy to look that good when you fight not elite guys

30. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    Seems like another of our classic go nowhere points of debate on fightbeat which circle around people's different associations with words...trying to delineate where the advantage in skill, stamina, power or anything else begins or ends seems impossible really