"I Would Never Let A Whiteboy Beat Me".

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Irish, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

lol

Man you were being a dick laughing at Hopkins' sad loss. We are both guilty, homey

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

One day, when one of the strippers Floyd beats up guns him down, we can all have a nice chuckle.

3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Yep, and Rest Assured, Sly Will Be Here BUTTHURT About It, Chastising Fellow Fightbeaters for their LACK of Sympathy...

REED:mj:

4. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

When Has REED EVER Expressed FANDOM for Bernard Hopkins???...

Any Self Professed "Fan" of Roy Jones WOULDN'T Post What You Posted...& REED Ain't Even MAD about the Shit, just STOP Pretending You were Ever a TRUE Fan of the Dude...

It's All Good...

REED:mj:

5. Destruction and Mayhem

You're missing the point.

I'm a fan of Roy Jones but I know that you're a fan of him too. I'm also a fan of Bernard Hopkins. So in being a fan of bhop it saddens me to see people laughing at his demise. Therefore knowing that you're a Jones fan I wanted you to be able to empathize as to how sad it is to see a great fighter eventually get knocked out because they took too long to hang up the gloves. You were the one who posted the Chris tucker clip and you wouldn't have understood the point with any other fighter other than Roy Jones. My being a fan of Jones is irrelevant here....but it's because I'm a fan of Jones that o knew those videos would hurt you because they hurt me too.

6. Destruction and Mayhem

You're one dimensional. I'd be more hurt to see Floyd fight way beyond his prime and get knocked out as a result by some bum than if he were killed by some stripper. I'm a fan of the fighter and the legacy not the man. By the way do cunts like you look in the mirror every morning and realize that it's a cunt staring back at them?

7. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    As opposed him breaking his neck? Yeah, I'd like to think I'd catch the guy

8. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Joe Smith Jr :lol:

9. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Did Hopkins Break his Neck???...

REED:lol:

10. Double L

Double L Book Reader

thing is, before smith ko'd hopkins, he also ko'd fonfara, who had gone the distance with stevenson. so smith's power is likely for real.

11. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

You guys misunderstood Hopkins. He meant he'd never lose to a pure Anglo.

He's lost to a Welsh Italian, a Russian, and a New York Irishman.... but never been whupped by a pure Anglo.

A whiteboy has YET to beat Bernard Hopkins.

12. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

I've never liked Hopkins and he says dumb shit sometimes, but he also says insightful shit sometimes, too.

I'm glad he finally got bashed, but the fact is that he ended up having a superb career with great accomplishments. It's unfortunate that he wasted so much of his prime beating non-top tier guys, but when he manned up for the middleweight tourney, he really turned it around.

He ended up being a very good guy for the sport so I respect him for that. I also like that he goes out on a KO loss. I don't find it embarrassing or humiliating or anything like that, just more proof that boxing is tough, shit happens, and maybe Smith is a pretty solid fighter.

13. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Hopkins doesn't say anything insightful, he's a horrible commentator. Smith is a shit fighter with a good right hand.

14. Bordon

Bernard "WASP Swatter" Hopkins.

15. Jeffy

Jeffy Undisputed Champion

I love that hes gonna retire without being able to say that he was never stopped. Lol

16. KaukipRrr

KaukipRrr "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Nah, seriously, there's nothing quite like stewing someone in their own evil juices, the crowd should have rushed over and started kicking his ribs and stomping on his head.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

Exactly.....the idiotic cunt. Why do these guys continue and continue until they have embarrassing defeats? Ali should have stopped after Manila..and at the very least after the spinks rematch. Instead, the cunt (and I'm a big fan of his) had to get humiliated by Holmes and Berbick before he realized enough is enough. He almost deserved that Parkinson's for that foolishness....

18. Bordon

This was Hopkins farewell fight so the whole cliche of him not being able to let it go seems inappropriate and forced. As soon as he saw he couldn't really cut it against Kovalev he handpicked a beatable opponent and announced his retirement. Why are you making me defend this scumbag?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  19. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Apparently the dude wasn't beatable.

Hopkins pulled this shit before in the Mercado fight and I think either the Echols fight or the Allen fight and one of the Dawson fights.

He also tried to pull it vs Calzaghe.

He calls himself the Executioner only because he can't call himself the Elocutioner.

20. Bordon

Smith looked pretty beatable. I agree with Hopkins that he was starting to frustrate him and tire him out.

But yeah, when things aren't going Hopkins way he has a history of hurting his arm or neck or back or leg and he reads the same riot act in the same tone every time. It's kind of funny that he seems shot at that too. Lol. It's sounds silly to say a fighter got 'exposed' at 52 but that's exactly what happened when he got ktfo, landed on his head and claimed he hurt his ankle.

21. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    How did he get knocked out of the ring :dunno:

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

This is exactly why Hopkins is one of the most difficult and disliked cunts in the history of boxing.

Kauki is right...crowd shudda stomped this nikka....

23. Bordon

Cameras clearly show Jimmy Hart breaking his ankle and holding him in place to be shoved out of the ring.

I don't know if Hopkins would've taken over and he could've got caught at anytime but it was a winnable fight. Smith is pretty scrubby and he was having to force the pace more and more as the fight went on and running into clean punches.

24. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

That would had denied us the joy of Foreman knocking out Moorer.

25. KaukipRrr

:lol: ,.. Your composition here she, she reminded me of "One crowded hour" by Augie March.

You've got a perpetual clacker up the guts of this post mate :bravo: ..."keeping the lights on", as it were.

26. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Augie, with his brother Simon and the mentally abnormal George have no father and are brought up by their mother who is losing her eyesight, and a tyrannical grandmother-like boarder in very humble circumstances in the rough parts of Chicago

27. KaukipRrr

Throwing the book at the band for un-american activities?.. :notallthere: or

28. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Yeah he claimed a shoulder "injury" in that first fight with Dawson. He knew he was getting beat so he found a way out, plain and simple.

I must say for all the pre-fight antics that Hopkins often pulled outside of the ring, he often fought SCARED when it came to fight time. His two fights with Jermain Taylor are perfect examples of this... Big time street thug talk pre fight and weigh in, and then during the fight he spent more time avoiding contact and clowning around rather than take the chance of facing the fire to win the fight.

With Calzaghe, he just couldn't deal with the pace that Joe was setting and he found ways to get extra rest like faking a low blow, TWICE, plus all the extra holding and wrestling to get rest.

As great a fighter as he is, his bully mentality was exposed more than once. Stand up to him, things don't go his way, he finds a way out.

29. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Brilliant article about Hopkins from Kevin Mitchell, who can write about boxing when he puts his mind to it.

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]B[/FONT]ernard Hopkins should be remembered as the best pure middleweight since Marvin Hagler. Although The Executioner might not have beaten the “Marvelous” bald one, they would have had a hell of a fight, and there is a case to put Hopkins alongside him in the all‑time top 10 of the division. However, his legacy will be tarnished by the very quality that made him so formidable for so long: pride.

At the Forum in Inglewood, California, on Saturday night, in the eighth round of the 65th and last fight of his 28-year career, Hopkins, who will be 52 next month, was knocked through the ropes and out of his sport. He was left lying flat on his back on the floor, surrounded by concerned officials and TV operatives, as he stared up at a conqueror 24 years younger than him, one Joe Smith Jr. It was not the farewell he had anticipated.

<aside class="element element-rich-link element-rich-link--upgraded" data-component="rich-link" data-link-name="rich-link-1 | 1" style="float: left; margin: 0.3125rem 1.25rem 0.75rem -15rem; clear: both; width: 13.75rem;">[​IMG]
    [FONT=&amp]Bernard Hopkins knocked out of ring in final fight of 28-year career

[/FONT]

<svg width="24" height="24" viewBox="0 0 24 24" class="inline-arrow-in-circle__svg inline-icon__svg"></svg>

[FONT=&amp]Read more[/FONT]

</aside>
    Hopkins had done reasonably well up to that point, slipping and sniping as of old. One official, Pat Russell, had him 67-66 up, which was charitable. Tim Cheatham had it the other way by a point, and Tom Taylor was closer, at 69-64 for Smith. I gave Hopkins the third, fourth and sixth. But, as smart as he boxed, his feet stopped gliding. The blows “stayed on him”, as they say. It seemed his beard-fleck grew a little more grey.

Junior was no ordinary Joe, but nor was he that special. A 27-year-old construction worker from Long Island, he trades on his Irish roots and fought with a robust, unsubtle intensity that has elevated him into the upper reaches of what was once the glamour division of boxing. It was too much for Hopkins – too much to counter after a solid start, too much to absorb a cluster of solid head shots sent him tumbling to defeat and embarrassment, and too much to accept with anything approaching good grace.

In a sadly familiar ritual, Hopkins refused to believe he had been beaten fairly. He bitched, to use the argot of his Philadelphia streets, as he has done before in defeat, against Chad Dawson and Joe Calzaghe. This time, he said, he couldn’t carry on because he had injured his ankle, and thus could not beat the extended 20-count to get back in the ring, although he wanted to.

He was then afforded the unwarranted get-out by officials who declared the result “a TKO because of injury due to a legal blow”. Not for the first time, boxing got it wrong. It should have been an unequivocal count-out stoppage, as he failed to beat the 20 seconds allowed for being knocked out of the ring. Instead, he argued and prevaricated, eating up the clock as inept officials scratched their heads.
    This is a precis of what Hopkins said, in contradiction of all visual evidence, to Max Kellerman after limping through the crowd to his dressing room: “I think I was throwing a right hand or a combination and using the rope as an offensive defence, like I’m known for. I made him miss and I believe I was frustrating him up to that round. Every now and then he got in an overhand right, which was his only big punch. He got frustrated when we got in a clinch.
    “I might have got hit with a grazed right or a left hook and, going through the momentum, he shoved me out of the ring. I tried to grab [the ropes] on the way out and I went straight through. I believe I hit my head. I hit my head first and my ankle got hit when I hit the ground, a twist. The doctor says it’s swollen on the right side.”

Smith, respectful in victory against a one-time great fighter, had a better grip on reality: “I landed the left hook there and it finished the job. I hit him with four, five clean shots, they were good shots right on the button. I didn’t expect him to get up. But he’s a true champion and I knew if he didn’t get injured he would be back here in the ring. I had to do my job. This was my coming-out party, too.”

Watching back in the London studios of BoxNation, Steve Bunce – who had a memorable run-in with Hopkins when he came to London to promote the Calzaghe fight eight years ago – observed in his no-nonsense style: “You shouldn’t laugh, but it’s all over for Bernard Hopkins. It was kind of fitting that he went out that way. He’s been thrown out of the ring before, couldn’t continue, he’s got back in, he’s thrown people out of the ring. He’s been involved in just about every type of melee possible. He hasn’t stopped anybody since 2004. It was inevitable there was going to be some kind of wacky, wacko end.”

Nevertheless, Hopkins was a fine fighter, a shrewd, tough survivor with a keen understanding of the sport’s nuances. Any reasonable assessment has to place him in the mix with the middleweight greats: Sugar Ray Robinson (the pound-for-pound king, as well, across the middle range of weights), Marvin Hagler, Carlos Monzon, Stanley Ketchel, Jake La Motta, Harry Greb, Mickey Walker, Hopkins and Marcel Cerdan.

His farewell had the air of Robinson’s. Sugar Ray had the last of his 198 fights in 1965, the year Hopkins was born, but there was precious little left of him against Joey Archer, who outpointed him with unseemly ease and went on to challenge Don Fullmer and Emile Griffith in three unsuccessful bids for the world middleweight title. Joe Smith Jr works in a considerably reduced environment.

Some compared his through-the-ropes ending to the night at Madison Square Garden in 1951 when Rocky Marciano brought Joe Louis’s grand career to a flat-backed finish, also in the eighth round. But it was less conclusive than that.

Nobody was champion for longer than Hopkins’s 10 years, two months and 17 days, or made more than his 20 defences; he was the oldest world champion at any weight – nudging George Foreman and Archie Moore out of the record books – at 48 years, one month and 22 days, by beating Tavoris Cloud three years ago.

And what of his era?

In the 90s, Hopkins lost to a prime Roy Jones Jr, beat worthy challengers John David Jackson (who was in his corner on Saturday night after the fighter had unexpectedly split with Nazeem Richardson), Glen Johnson, Simon Brown and Antwun Echols. In the following decade, he beat Keith Holmes, an unbeaten Felix Trinidad, William Joppy, a fading Oscar De La Hoya, Britain’s under-rated Howard Eastman over 12 rounds in 2005, Antonio Tarver, Ronald Winky Wright, Kelly Pavlik, and, on a night of sweet but late revenge, Roy Jones Jr. In the fading years a strong, young Jean Pascal lost to him; Chad Dawson, another tough veteran, won and lost. Jermain Taylor beat him twice; Joe Calzaghe was too young and fast for him; two years ago Sergey Kovalev, fearsome and undefeated, beat him up and nearly stopped him.

On Saturday night Joe Smith Jr did the unthinkable.

Hopkins, born into adversity that he worked to his advantaged, was not too proud to earn a living as a dishwasher. He went to prison. He overcame. But he could not get a grip on humility in the ring. That, perversely, is what made him so dangerous and, for a long time, so good. One way or another, we’ll miss him.

[/FONT]

30. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    People would look at the Calzaghe fight and say "Yeah, but he dropped Joe, if Bernard was 5 years younger etc etc".

Point is, he was physically in his prime vs Mercado and Echols and still petitioned the referee in those fights.

4:30 mark, complaining despite being legit dropped.
    <iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pvxl9NhXdLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>