JM Marquez vs Chapo Rosario

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by puerto rock, Nov 3, 2017.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

At 135...

I think Chapo blasts him out. Marquez was crafty but gets hit too much IMO to come out of this one a winner.

2. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    If Marquez can survive the first 6 or 7, he's got a great shot but I'm not sure he could ... lightweights that couldn't crack an egg hurt JMM and pushed him back... Rosario was one of the most vicious punches ever at 135

Fortunato likes this.
  3. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Marquez without a shadow of doubt. Just a far superior, more skilled fighter.

Almost every time the better, more skilled fighter wins - and that's Marquez.

The idea of Chapo "blasting him out" is fucking hilarious, sorry, but it's just absurd.

Marquez has over 60 fights, fought all the way up to welterweight, when he was around 40 years old. And he was never stopped. Never close to being stopped. That's an extremely tough, resilient fighter. I mean how many fighters can you say that about? Duran was stopped in his 30's, Pacquiao was stopped in his 30's (by Marquez no less), Leonard was stopped in his 30's, Ali, Tyson, and Chavez too. That's a list of some of the toughest fighters ever, who got KO'd/stopped when they aged and /or stepped up in weight.

Marquez never did, and he's fought some of the best of his era, up to 40 years old, and 4 divisions above his natural weight. That says a lot.

A bit like whiskey said about Cotto recently, people are bizarrely dismissive about Marquez. He's an amazing fighter, with not just skill, but incredible toughness.

Time to take off the rose tinted glasses regarding some of yesteryear's fighters. Watch a bunch of both of their fights and you'll realise Marquez was clearly much better. While you're at it, watch the Ramirez rematch - if anyone is getting blasted out, it's certainly not Marquez.

4. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Never close to being stopped??? Did you watch the first Pacquaio fight?

5. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Rosario by stoppage IMO.

Marquez never looked impressive at 135.

6. Xplosive

TBH, at 135, Marquez would lose to Bramble, let alone Rosario.

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Marquez got hurt by non entities like Katsidis and Diaz at 135, yet he's gonna do a Ramirez on Chapo

puerto rock likes this.
  8. Xplosive

I think you're forgetting two important factors 1. 80s guys couldn't fight. The sport has improved since then, and 2. Rosario isn't a Floyd victim.

How could Chapo possibly win?

cdogg187 likes this.
  9. Double L

Double L Book Reader

It'd be a great fight. That is for sure.

10. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    marquez would climb up off the deck to brutally KO rosario

11. puerto rock

I stand by my argument. Marquez was rocked and hurt by KATSIDIS of all people, had a tough back and forth fight with Baby Bull, and yet you see him coming back to beat Rosario.

Marquez doesn't have the chin Ramirez had, and neither of Katsidis or Baby Bull could wash Rosario's feet. Rosario would be the HARDEST puncher Marquez fought withou a doubt and as hittable as he is, he's simply put just not gonna survive. Not much to really look at with this fight.

Marquez went from being underrated to now one of the most OVERRATED fighters of his time simply by scoring a one shot fluke KO over Pac.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    cdogg187 likes this.
  12. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Yeah. All jmm did was ko pac.

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  13. mexican wedding shirt

Of course I did, great fight, I thought Pacquiao was jobbed actually.

I admit at the time it seemed really likely Pacquiao would finish him in the next round, but I stand by what I say - looking back, he was never actually in danger of being stopped - only if there was a 3 knockdown rule. After each knockdown, he got up and was fine, the ref was not close to stopping it.

14. mexican wedding shirt

I was a Marquez fan before I was a Pacquiao fan. He was awesome at FW. A big, skillful featherweight with a brutal left hook. I remember him literally beating the puke out of Peden and then left hooking the shit out of Medina before moving up, clear as day. And he's been solid and high tier at every weight since.

TBH I just don't really rate Rosario. He could punch, but was crude and slow and inaccurate. I don't see him having much to offer Marquez.

Who cares if he was decked? He gets up clear headed, every time. Again, how many fighters in boxing history fought a who's who of their era, moved up 4 divisions above their natural weight, and fought to the age of 40, and was NEVER stopped, not once? Almost none. Marquez was fucking tough as nails, and is still underrated it seems.

15. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    lol Rosario was crude and slow?

16. mexican wedding shirt

Shar.

17. mexican wedding shirt

I have no preference of modern fighters or Floyd victims. I actually prefer rewatching somewhat older fights, as I find too many fights today in this cherry picking money era are too tepid, with fighters often fighting "not to lose" rather than fighting to win.

I don't think previous era fighters are better by default, but one thing I love is they generally fucking went for it. I mean some fights were better than others and you got the odd snoozefest of course, but generally speaking they went in there and fucking fought, even (or especially) in big fights.

And for example I think the Fab 4 would have fucking wrecked everyone around today in neighbouring weight classes apart from Golovkin. Same goes for the great heavies of previous eras.

In this matchup I just happen to think Marquez is the far superior fighter and would win without a shadow of doubt.

18. mexican wedding shirt

Maybe it's different for some of you guys who may have grown up watching them at the time, but Rosario is a bit like Chavez for me in that I only saw him after hearing about what a legendary ATG he was.

It may not have helped the first fights I saw were both Ramirez fights and Chavez, but my initial impression was basically that he wasn't very good or skilled, and was quite slow for a LW.

I remember having the same impression about Valero in the modern era. Heard loads about him, and when I did see him I was like "wtf, THIS is Valero?". He was very crude and slow for his weight, and seemed to have absolutely nothing but legit power.

19. puerto rock

Rosario was far from crude and slow.

cdogg187 likes this.
  20. mexican wedding shirt

How would you describe his style/strengths?

21. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Rosario's KO of Bramble was impressive and I thought he beat Camacho too. Plus, he defeated Howard Davis.

Rosario, imo, was actually a really smooth fighter with really nice technique. He would sort of warm up with these pretty little shots and before you knew it he was absolutely ripping violent combinations and hitting his opponents' chin at sick angles, and with really clean shots. Love watching rosario fight. Even in his one sided loss to chavez he landed some really killer shots that no doubt would've floored most light weights.

cdogg187 and puerto rock like this.
  22. puerto rock

Double L described him well.

His offense was impressive. Excellent technique. He got great leverage on his punches and he threw them quick and accurate. He knew how to set up his combinations too and he was good at creating openings. Definitely NOT a crude fighter by any stretch of the imagination. He was very sharp with counters and pulling the trigger.

His weakness was that he was a bit of a front runner. But you had to put some real pain on him to bring that out of him and you also had to be able to stand up to his power.

cdogg187 likes this.
  23. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Rosario had superb technique and physical talent

24. Xplosive

Edwin Rosario was NOT slow. WTFFFF has this forum come to??

cdogg187 likes this.
  25. mexican wedding shirt

I rewatched Chavez Vs Rosario yesterday. He was slower than Chavez, whose speed I would describe as decent. He was not a fast fighter by any stretch, on the slow side for a lightweight.

Not as slow as Valero, but slowish all the same.

26. Xplosive

Yeah, he was Brandon Rios in there...

cdogg187 likes this.
  27. mexican wedding shirt

He looks really good here, easily the best I've seen him look. I agree he doesn't look slow in this fight, his handspeed, footspeed, and defense all look pretty good.

Having watched a few of his fights recently though, I have no doubt Marquez wins.

28. mexican wedding shirt

Watching some more of his fights today, I'd have to agree he is not slow.

Not sure why, my initial impression of him against Chavez and Ramirez was that he was slow for a lightweight. But actually I'd say his speed is around average for a lightweight, at world level.

I still think the idea of him stopping Marquez is absolutely absurd - a guy who has NEVER been stopped, not once, all the way up to welterweight, age 40.

29. mexican wedding shirt

Do any of you know why Marquez was DQ'd in his pro debut? I had no idea actually, I'd obviously never bothered to look all the way down his record.

If that was a suspect DQ, then he should have really been undefeated when fighting Pacquiao for the first time.

30. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Not sure I would necessarly call Rosario slow, but let's just say he was far from a speed daemon. I think JMM is a bit too polished and versatile for him

mexican wedding shirt likes this.