Khan signs with Hearn...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Jimmy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Yeah I don't typically think of "action" when watching Hatton fight.

While Khan being a Muslim didn't help him in some circles, I think it was in fact more to do with him being "shoved down" audiences throats as the next big star plus he was always running his mouth. He was a true media whore.

Irish likes this.
  2. meetthefeebles

meetthefeebles Drunken Geordie Bastard

Khan being a muslim didn't help, but his relative unpopularity in the UK was more about the bullshit spouted about him than anything else. The hype when he was coming through was ridiculous - everyone and their dog simply laughed when Prescott stretched him, it was that bad.

MTF

puerto rock likes this.
  3. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    We've gone full detard here. Hatton was an eyesore AFTER the Tszyu fight. And only in a few fights.

4. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    It started with the "Werren" {TM@ Feebles Entertainments Ltd} contrived rematch between Khan and Kindelan and how Werren had the media onside thereafter to make everyone KNOW that the Kindelan-Re was REAL!

Then after the 7-7 bombings, Khan came out for his next fight wearing Union Jack trunks with "Land of Hope and Glory" as his ringwalk music.

He got manoeuvured into a WBA title shot having been sparked by Prescott, a result which should have set him back years, and prior to Prescott, he had been pumped up to PPV status on a steady diet of fights against aged or inept 130lb dudes like the utterly shot Michael Gomez, a guy who really did have it tough, and who still put Khan down and hurt him to the body.

He couldn't even properly stop guys like Limond or Gomez, only faze and button-mash them, old and grossly inferior as they were. Same thing happened against some French scrub they brought in from the Marseille ghetto......dropped Khan and negotiated the distance.

There was no big power, no Lomachenko factor a la taking risks early-doors against bigger more experienced foes, not even an Olympic Gold. His "Gold" medal was beating the guy who beat him in the Olympics in a contrived farcical encounter which was fixed as fuck.

Khan probably represents the low-water-mark of the current trend of "event" based boxing in the UK, as distinct from actual viable meaningful encounters, with Joshua vs Khans wife or Brook vs Khan, as Feebles has so lucidly described, the "angst-filled", "controversial", Haye vs Bellew ridiculousness of recent.

5. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

A guy I vaguely knew from University, and whom I had last seen when Hatton beat Zoo, actually rang me to tell me what had happened. It was that bad. Where were you when Kennedy was shot, when the Twin Towers came down, when Khan got stretched by Prescott.

Ian Darke got so excited doing the commentary that he got caught between saying "He can hardly stand" and "It will have to be stopped" and instead said "It can hardly stand".

He sounded like a vet describing the birth of a foal that had gone badly wrong, with Khan providing the appropriate visuals:-

"oh he's all over the place...it can hardly stand.....he's flattened in the corner, these are desperate moments for Amir Khan he's trying so bravely to get up"

6. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

Na, Hatton was always horrible to watch for me. I liked him out of the ring, he's a funny bloke, but I couldn't stand him as a fighter.

cdogg187 and puerto rock like this.
  7. Jimmy

Jimmy The Greatest of Are Times

Of all the years I've been watching Khan, his religion NEVER crossed my mind. To despise someone just because of their religion? It's crazy. Khan was involved in fun fights and that unpredictability has always been an attraction.

8. salaco

salaco Undisputed Champion

Khan was essentially introduced to Joe Public during the Olympic games and was a refreshing, good news story...it looked like he could be marketable. The difficulty is that Warren, much like the Audley Harrison-BBC debacle, overhyped his early, learning
    fights and it quickly became apparent that he was struggling to transition from leap amateurism and that he was not well-spoken (contrast with Joshua), lacked charisma, charm, and much intelligence. So, you had this charmless oaf feasting on smaller fighters, and not even dispatching them impressively, while Sky Sports creamed themselves at this spectacle. It quickly got to the point where everyone was delighted to see him KO'ed by Prescott.

9. salaco

salaco Undisputed Champion

Having said that, I have enjoyed watching Khan since he left for the USA because of the fact that he is so vulnerable, and his instincts are generally to trade when hurt rather than revert to safety first

10. meetthefeebles

Same. I was on a stag weekend in Amsterdam when the fight happened, and the first I heard was a text from one of my mates which simply read 'Khan KTFO 1 :)'

MTF

11. meetthefeebles

Absolutely spot on. I don't know anyone who didn't think it was hilarious when he lost. Listening to Barry on ITV describing him as 'the new Sugar Ray Leonard' as he was badly hurt by Willie Limond left a very sour taste.

MTF

12. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Classic posts.
    Truly made me 'LOL'!

13. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Always made me chuckle seeing his Dad in post-fight interviews with that gigantic gap-toothed grin:
    [​IMG]

14. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Yeah and while that was entertaining, he also liked to push guys away and blatantly run too. He did plenty of both, and it cost him the Petersen fight.

15. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:

Who was minding the shop??

16. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    These fucking guys........East End Jews..........Hitler on the march..........totally angst free, well groomed, professional, and sincere.

Todays guys get in a night what these guys get in a lifetime and have no fucking clue how to behave.

17. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    "YOU SAID BET THE FUCKING SHOP ON YOU!!"

[​IMG]

two days later............

...........................[​IMG]

18. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
  19. meetthefeebles

He's a genuinely entertaining guy to watch. Part of that is because is is always literally one decent shot away from being highlight-reel KO-ed. Three of his stoppage losses (Prescott, Garcia, Canelo) are precisely the kind of thing that people put in compilations on Youtube. The second is, as you say, because (to his credit) he is a gutsy, ballsy cunt. His natural instinct when hurt is to try and trade. He just cannot help himself. ANd he gets hurt a lot, because he has possibly the worst chin of any 'elite' fighter, ever. These things make his fights almost always a very good watch.

MTF

20. meetthefeebles

If you rewatch the Prescott fight (I do, often), you can hear his mother scream in horror as Amir is turtled into the corner.

MTF

21. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

WTF... LMAO!!!

22. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

It's not just his chin, but his recuperation is utter shit as well.
    History is littered with boxers who have suffered multiple droppages and get up and look fairly okay.
    Khan, each time, looks like a tee-totaller who's just necked a bottle of Scotch: the legs are gone, the eyes are looking everywhere, mouth is dribbling, the chin juts out, the arms hang by his sides like they've both been broken, his head / shoulders do that funny involuntary bobble independent of each other and he does that little backward stumble.

It's fascinating to see the effects.

The knockdown highlights reel:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    puerto rock and cdogg187 like this.
  23. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I've never considered Khan exciting. His style is too fucking sloppy to be exciting.

The Maidana fight was really the only exciting Khan fight.

puerto rock likes this.
  24. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

The perterson fight was great