Lemieux Golovkin

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Baron, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

I agree completely. I had no problem with the stoppage, per se. It was a bad stoppage if you consider the particular moment it was stopped (I think Lemieux was complaining about a low blow or something) but when you consider the beating Lemieux had been taking and was going to continue to take...when looking at the entire fight, it was the right thing to do.

Well said.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

Lemieux wasn't complaining about no low blow! He was doubled over from a hook to the body, which the replay CLEARLY showed. And instead of taking a knee, like an idiot he didn't, so Golov was about to tee off on him in the corner. That's why the stoppage was justified.

3. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

That was no low blow.

The fight was less competitive than I thought it would be.

Lemieux just didn't have the skill level to cope with Golov.

4. Destruction and Mayhem

I could be mistaken. At the time it looked as though he was complaining about something. Either way, I have no problem with the stoppage as I said. He was getting a beating and wasn't even competitive.

5. Destruction and Mayhem

GGG was lucky he wasn't DQ'd though. Glad it didn't end that way, but it would have been a justifiable disqualification (when he hit him while he was down).

6. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    It would needed to have been a very strict ref to DQ him there since it was obvious the shot was not blatant and you usually can't get disqualified for one accidental foul. GGG started the shot just when Lemieux' knee touched the canvas so it was a clear foul but it was a matter of tenths of a second and GGG couldn't have been sure if Lemieux' knee was already on floor or not. In Roy Jones' case he threw two punches and Griffin was already clearly on the floor when the first one of them landed

7. Destruction and Mayhem

It seemed very late shot to me Ugo. It wasn't a matter of tenths of a second. Lemieux' knee was down clearly before GGG started the shot. Nevertheless, I'm glad Lemieux didn't capitalize on that moment (to his credit) and the ref let it go.

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    At least he didn't pull a Dirrell.

9. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Kudos to Lemieux, that kid deserved a standing ovation for his competitiveness. HBO should give that guy a contract just for the heart and willingness to stay in there against GGG. On the other hand dude is a horrible boxer, he short arms every punch and has zero skills. Here's hoping GGG finally starts getting paid so some of these other guys will step in and fight him.

Also why are they talking about little guys moving up to fight GGG? Dude is too powerful for those guys, if anything he should move up in weight.

10. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

Problem is the only big fight for him is Ward and it's pretty much just hard core boxing fans who would be interested in that matchup. SOG has about as much a following as the average hockey player does in Mexico.

He's also 33 years old and never struggled to make 160. It's not as if he's going to naturally grow into larger divisions at this stage.

11. Hut*Hut

Hut*Hut The Mackintosh of temazepam

Involved in hyperbole
    If Cotto beats Alvarez i bet he steps up. There's no bitch in Miggles, despite the pink socks.

12. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

I hope so but my guess is he'll take a hiatus if he wins that fight and bide his time seeing if Mayweather returns.

13. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I agree there's no bitch in him, but I think he knows GGG is just too big and too strong.

14. Xplosive

Lemieux's comeback fight should be against that Eamon O'Kane guy who fought on the undercard. That'd be a fun fight, and O'Kane's defense is horrible so it's a style made for Lemieux.

15. Destruction and Mayhem

Nope. Cotto would NOT fight GGG. Even if Miguel says he wants to his trainers and promoters etc would dissuade him. That's suicide.

Still it'll be an exciting fight for the 3 rounds it lasts.

16. His_Royness

His_Royness "Twinkle Toes" McJack

That would be a 2 round maximum massacre. Lemieux isn't very good, but he is not complete shit like Johnson.

17. Destruction and Mayhem

Lemieux may actually kill O'Kane, literally. O'Kane gets hit with every punch thrown at him. Against a guy like Lemieux that's flirting with death.

18. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

I forgot how many fights the contract Cotto signed with JayZ...I think it's a 3 or 5 fight deal(i think he's in fight #4 w/ Canelo)....when/if he beat Canelo...Cotto will take an easy fight against a big but beatable Middleweight...Soliman, Monroe jr, maybe Lemieux....THEN will fight GGG in his final fight....of course GGG will have to agree to 157lbs(not to blow up to 170-175 at fightnight/or forfit his purse), 70/30 split, no PPV money, etc...etc...

19. Destruction and Mayhem

Cotto vs Lemieux will be a nice fight. I think Cotto takes him.

20. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    :clapagain:

21. Xplosive

Probably will be a pick em fight after Canelo stops Cotto next month.

22. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    If Cotto beats Canelo (don't believe he will) he can ride off into the sunset and it does nada to his career. Cotto doesn't need GGG for the sake of his legacy. It's the other way around.

To me Cotto is pretty much like Froch was when he retired...there are few fighters you cannot question their resume with the "who they should have fought" statement.

Cotto not fighting GGG means nada.

Canelo on the other hand, has no reason nor leeway in wiggling out of a GGG fight.

23. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    cotto will fight golovkin if he feels like cashing out and mayweather jr is unavailable. at this point golovkin is the next biggest fight for cotto after alvarez, and cotto will take even more of the lions share of the purse for that 1. cotto has shown he's willing to take an ass whipping if the price is right and for 30 mill i could see him facing golovkin.

24. Destruction and Mayhem

I tend to agree.

25. Destruction and Mayhem

I don't expect Canelo to duck GGG anyway. That's why I want Canelo to win. Cotto WILL NOT fight GGG. Canelo would. Canelo fought Floyd, Lara and Trout years before he had to take such risks. the boy's willing to fight anyone. Let's give him credit.