Leonard vs Floyd at 147... with one important caveat...

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Xplosive, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Leonard was more badass...I agree. As you said, variety. But I'm talking about the single shots power in which I think Oscar had a clear edge.

2. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

What's ironic about your argument is, it's not LEONARD's myth that has grown over the years.... it's Floyd's.

10-15 years ago no one considered that ass clown in the same league as Leonard, Duran, Whitaker, Jones, ect...

It's his mainstream fame that's elevated to him a level that he never was truly on.

3. Xplosive

It's not even a certainty that Oscar had better one punch power.

Not once did Oscar brutally dispatch of an opponent at 147 and above the way Leonard did in the Dave Green fight.

4. Destruction and Mayhem

15 years ago Floyd was still building his legacy, in 2017 that legacy is built like a motherfucker! It's not fame, per se, it's accomplishments.

You're calling a 49-0 fighter with titles in 5 weight classes, with a resume littered with current and future HOF fighters and with more consecutive championship wins than any other fighter in history an "ass clown"?

5. Destruction and Mayhem

Vargas was brutally dispatched, and he was way more formidable than Dave Boy Green. That single left hook that dropped Vargas in the 11th was a harder punch than any Leonard landed at 147/154.

6. Xplosive

Yeah, so "brutally" dispatched that he was stopped on his feet in the 11th round. Oscar had the benefit of facing a Vargas who was already badly softened by Tito.

Leonard would have stopped that roided up, soften version of Vargas a lot sooner than Oscar did.

7. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

In terms of one shot power, I think they're about even. Oscar hit slightly harder with the left hook, but Leonard definitely hit harder with the right hand. Leonard also put combinations of punches together a lot better than Oscar did and had much more variety. He was also a more devastating body puncher than Oscar. And while Leonard didn't hit as hard as the likes of Hearns, Robinson, Trinidad, and Cuevas, I don't put Oscar's power at that level either. He was more of a pure puncher at 135-140 than he was at 147.

Pac shouldn't even be mentioned as a puncher at 147, honestly. The only legit welter he stopped was Oscar who by that point in time... Well we don't even need to discuss it. Cotto was more of a natural 140 pounder.

Hearns and Trinidad durability question is debatable. I think Leonard stops both Trinidad and Quartey due to the combination of power, speed, and finishing ability he had when his opponent was in trouble. Benitez was virtually shut out, and when he got more aggressive in the late rounds surely due to him knowing he was gonna lose the fight on the cards, he was virtually finished with that left hook Leonard landed on him. I don't think a light puncher finishes an on game Benitez.

8. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

Exactly. That's the funny thing about Floyd and his fans. You can tell they're being hypnotized because their image of the Great Floyd isn't the guy that crushed Corrales or clowned Ndou; it's the guy that outpointed Robert Guerrero, squeaked by an 8 years past prime DLH and sucker punched Victor Ortiz.

Floyd was still very good at that point but there's no reason for a casual fan to watch him and think "wow, this is the most amazing thing I've ever seen!" A lot of floyds rep is built on people actually doubting and anticipating the outcome of his fights against guys like Guerrero, Ortiz, Maidana, etc. and the public taking it as another huge relevant win for the celebrity boxer.

9. Bordon

Bordon Undisputed Champion

To be honest, Leonard didn't really stop Benitez. He busted his head open with a butt and then just touched him til the ref stepped in for no good reason at all.

10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

Floyd got more cars & money.

11. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

That short left hook inside that dropped him was a very good shot. Very sneaky. Benitez was definitely hurt by that.