Lewis, Canizales, Brian Mitchell Voted Into Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Jake, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Funny you mention Benn, though... he's yet to make the ballot. Same with Eubank, Julian Jackson and a few other modern day fighters. I mention them only because come time for 2013 voting, I'm all but positive that Arturo Gatti and Fernando Vargas will both find their way to the ballot. And I'm kinda scared that, given today's voters, both will get voted in.

2. Joe King

Joe King WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Player
    All of the HOFs in every sport should have only ONE year of eligibility per candidate. It's ridiculous and lowers the standards.

3. Tam Tam

Tam Tam "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Don't get me wrong I hadn't considered what the Hall weekend would mean for the community. Thats a valid point. Mine (as always) is just centered on what it means from a boxing standpoint and the ideology behind mandatory elections and the mindset of "not this year, maybe next". I believe it seriously degenerates the quality standard for entrants and might create some odd inclusions.

Good to see that you voted for Obah as well as the other two little people.

4. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    "Funny" is probably the wrong word, but hearing that he hasn't made a ballot yet is "funny" to me. :hammert:

5. Jake

Jake WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I totally agree with you, there's very little integrity left in what it means to be a Hall of Fame fighter today. It's almost said that we can argue a fighter being Hall of Fame worthy, yet laugh when that same fighter is suggested as an all-time great - or in the case of McGuigan and quite a few others, not even "just" great.

6. Hitman

Hitman Undisputed Champion

wow good stuff... if the economy doesn't completely tank i shall be making a trip out there in June.

7. StingerKarl

StingerKarl Ace Degenerate

I should have phrased that, who did he beat besides Lopez?

The guy was an arm puncher, he didn't set himself well, IMO.

I respected the kid as a fighter, but to me he was very ordinary and in the right place at the right time as he faced very weak opposition.

Now Elorde, THAT was a Great Fighter.

8. Mitchell Kane

Mitchell Kane WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Associated Press:

9. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    :cheer:

10. Tam Tam

Home Page:
    Fuck off.

11. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I would like to see Lloyd Marshall get into the Hall of Fame. His achievements were more impressive than a number of guys in Canastota.

12. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

This enhances Roy's legacy.

13. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I gotta admit, I don't know a lot about Brian Mitchell and was surprised to see him elected. Jake made a good case for him though.

As in all the major sports, running a Hall of Fame is a business and guys are going to get in every year whether you like it or not. Otherwise there's no reason to hold big induction weekends. Sometimes guys will sneak in many don't think are worthy.

It's probably important not to just think of it as "The Best of The Best"...............but as a way to honor a lot of very good to great fighters and participants who might otherwise have been forgotten.

Just because Barry McGuigan and Sugar Ray Robinson are enshrined in the same building doesn't mean it's mandatory to compare their careers. Some fighters will just always be thought of more highly then others..............whether HOF'ers or not.

I've pretty much given up bitching about who's in and who's not. Just be glad a place like this even exists for boxers. The HOF used to exist as a special issue of Ring Magazine and a small room in their offices which was mostly closed to the public.

I'll be up there this coming year as usual. It's a great trip for any boxing fan whether you agree with the inductees or not.