Looking back, how good was Roy Jones Jr really?

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by esk59, May 9, 2015.

1. valdosta

valdosta Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    Apparently you care, you brought the subject up about where I post. Sorry I got better things to do than to compare 2 guys who are relatively boring to watch except a fight here and there. Who's the most boring? Who cares all I care about is Floyd had a greater career.

2. D MAN

D MAN "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Roy was light years more exciting and more dominant in his prime. Roy was the better fighter p4p. So what if Floyd had a "greater" career? if I'm interested in career then I'll follow Donald Trump who can net a billion in a day, but for boxing it's about the skill and execution, despite Floyds adorable resume he cannot compete with Roy for the product he puts in the ring and could not compete head to head with him. I've seen Floyd live and I'd rather watch a tape of almost any Roy fight over that. Roy backed up his talk Floyd does not.

3. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Roy was way more exciting than Mayweather. Way more.

Floyd is the greater fighter, unfortunately.

4. steve_dave

steve_dave Hard As Fuck

Roy was better in his prime, I think. Floyd did more.

5. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Looking back, he was pretty good. Looking forward, he is going to get better as people like Floyd continue to talk shit.

6. mikE

mikE "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Agree with all of this.

7. Muzse

Muzse "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    Certainly made more money.

Even in Roy's more boring later fights you'd see one or two moments when he'd do things most fighters could never do...including Floyd.

Because Floyd is more technically sound, not as naturally gifted and far more risk adverse, it's no surprise he's been more dominant later in his career. Plus, Roy was basically unscathed until he was 35. That's a 15 year period....nothing to scoff at.

If Floyd fights long enough he'll walk away with a few losses with one or two by KO in there as well.

8. Irish

Irish Yuge, Beautiful

Home Page:
    Roy started at 154 and went up to Heavyweight.

9. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    Castillo arguably beat Floyd in his prime. Also DLH arguably beat Floyd and that was a washed up party mode DLH.

10. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    Roy smashed Ruiz, Nady had nothing to do with it.

11. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    You're talking about longevity. Ali was getting beat up by Berbick and Homes not to mention needing two fights to beat Spinks and he was younger than Floyd is now.

Does that mean Floyd is better than Ali? Maybe you're buying into the TBE bs he spouts.

As far as excitement goes, there is nothing to talk about. Roy actually was amazing to watch and I always felt I got my money's worth. I always liked to bring non boxing fans to watch Roy fights just so I could show them something special. Roy was amazing, i'm privileged to have had the opportunity to watch Roy work when he was in his prime.

Floyd is a waste of time. Even prime Floyd(and I used to be a fan) is a waste of time.

12. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    I disagree and i'll tell you why. When you got in the ring with Roy, there was a fight. He was going to beat your ass. Even the first Tarver fight, Roy won that but it was shocking because he got hit more than ever. But he won that fight and it was a real fight.

Floyd doesn't even fight a lot of the time and somehow the judges score it his way. I understand boxing is a business first and foremost but the guy has become a real joke. Everyone who saw the Pacquiao fight and is not a hardcore boxing fan doesn't even understand how Floyd "dominated" the fight.

This is the first time I can think of when boxing "experts" say Floyd "DOMINATED" Pacquiao but when you talk to regular casual fans or read facebook posts, they're talking like Floyd was EXPOSED!

He even got booed at the basketball game the other day. Meanwhile Pacquiao went home to a hero's welcome.

Of course there are a lot of boxing "experts" who like to feel smart by saying Floyd dominated and they can explain why and they even forgive the untrained eye for missing it. Almost as if it makes him more great that people think he's stinking out the joint but in "reality" he's schooling someone, LOL!

Think of the greatest fighters in history, do you have to be a damn boxing scholar to appreciate their greatness? No, you can put anyone to watch and they'll be blown away.

I'm not only talking about the exciting fighters. Take Pernell Whitaker, he was slick as hell, slicker than Floyd and better than him too and he was super fun to watch. I loved watching Whitaker and again you didn't have to explain to people what they were watching. It was obvious. It always is. It's obvious to me that Floyd didn't fight and lost against Pacquiao. It was a terrible fight but that was Floyd's fault and the judges fault. For making him think he's a magician when they're just corrupt thieves who accept bribes to score fights.

13. loadedgloves

loadedgloves "Twinkle Toes" McJack

:lol: everything you say is ridiculous and stupid

14. esk59

esk59 WBC Champion

Home Page:
    Often times it is difficult to be confronted head on by opinions different than yours. I get that. But in the future you should try not to come off as a bigot.