Mad Max: Fury Road. 97% on RT and 9.0 on IMDB

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Rainmaker, May 12, 2015.

1. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

[​IMG]
    Mad Max: Fury Road George Miller returns to the franchise that put him and Mel Gibson in the Hollywood map and delivers a chapter of the saga in gargantuan epic proportions. All the $150 million budget is there on the screen with the fantastic stunts, colossal explosions, neat special effects, great costumes, make-up and sets as well an army of revamped cars, trucks and motorcycles to be crashed and demolished for our entertainment. The little plot the film has sandwiched between action sequences involves our hero Max, who suffers from psychotic episodes of audio visual hallucinations, but somehow can still perform heroic deeds, who unwillingly gets involved with his female equal, Furiosa (Charlize Theron in her most memorable role in many years), a one-armed mercenary who betrays the big boss and rans away with all the boss breeders (wives) in search of the mythical 'Green place'. We get to know more Furiosa than about Max or any other character in the film. While Miller's film is a big spectacular demolition derby that at times feels like overkill, certain aspects didn't made much sense and felt rushed, like the 'bad guy' that keeps surviving over and over and our heroes just don't shoot him in the head every time they had a chance like they do with the others (of course Miller was saving him for the turn around events mid way through the movie). Yes, Hardy has equal screen time as Theron, but he spends a good chunk of the first part of the film being in a cage or chained to a vehicle. Theron saves his ass a few times too. And yes, there is a lot of 'girl power' in this film, but that makes it better, doesn't hurt it a bit. Very good film, but I cannot say is the best film of the year. It stands next to The Road Warrior as the second best Mad Max film in the series. And that is a great compliment. 8/10

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  2. Panchyprsss

Trivia:
    Do you know that model/actress Riley Keough, who plays one of the Five Wives in the movie (the red hair one) is actually the granddaughter of Elvis Presley?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Roll With The Punches

Roll With The Punches WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
  4. whiskey

whiskey Czarcasm

PHP:

It's actually two guys.

[​IMG]

5. Rainmaker

Rainmaker "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
  6. Panchyprsss

:lol: Yeah is mostly accurate, but he enjoyed it way more than me for all the profanity he spits in the review, which is the closest to a cinematc 'FUCK ME HARDER!!!!' review I have ever read! :l2:

7. Panchyprsss

My main complain about Hardy's new Max is that he doesn't connect the way Gibson's Max did with subtle minimal flashes of humanity that made you think and empathize with his battle-worn, numbed shell of a man that in a brief second showed traces of humanity, like in the scene below.

[​IMG]

8. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Because Mel started off slightly normal. I haven't seen the new one yet, but if the made hardy Mel's thought to be dead son and Theron that crazy animal girl, you could could have automatic connection with flashbacks and shit

9. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I like Hardy, but Mel definitely had more charisma. People forget how fun of an actor he was for a good 15 years or so.

Hardy's a bit more stonefaced. Still effective, but different.

10. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I think he is still fun. Have you seen Get the Gringo? Terrific!

11. Panchyprsss

I hate what the media & Hollywood did to Mel Gibson, that ostracized him to the point he has barely work after his lamentable comments made under the influence of alcohol. Like if any drunk person has ever said or done anything stupid and regrettable before...but they did forgave Roman Polanski for something worst though. :boohoo:

12. Haymaker

Haymaker WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

If you work in Holywood, don't fuck with the Jews.

13. Anthony

Motherfucker
    It wasnt even about that IMO. That Passion movie was more hard to his career than anything he did. Same With Jim Caveizel.

I remember Mel was talking to Caveizel when he got the Job and he said your life in Hollywood will never be the same. He was right.

14. Panchyprsss

He didn't received any backlash for The Passion of The Christ from Hollywood or the media, except from some critics that labeled the film as sadistic. That film made him more rich than all his previous film roles combined since he personally financed the whole budget of $25 million, but the film ended grossing $611 million worldwide. That motivated him to do the same with Apocalypto which cost him $40 million. That film was not as successful, but still was profitable at $120 million worldwide. Gibson doesn't need to work again with all the money he made from those two films, but the offers stopped after the 'Melgate'.

15. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

I know you're going to pretend you already knew this, but in regards to your reply he apparently used practically no CGI making this film.

16. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

There was plenty of CGI on display here. I'm sure they did a lot of the actual stunts, but they were certainly dressed up with lots of special effects. Either that or there's 100 dead stuntmen laying in a shallow grave somewhere.

17. Panchyprsss

I read that Miller used practical effects for the most part, not CGI (used only to erase wires & cables), and yes, those acrobatic flying warboys were actual stuntmen, not CGI.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...behind-its-most-insane-stunts-20150518?page=2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p86oL3TbQvs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  18. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    Mad Max: Fury Road has made $118 million on the domestic market and $165 million on the foreign market. Worldwide total is now $283 million. Movie could make $400 million and possibly even more.

19. The Genius

The Genius DEMONRY!!

Still an average movie.

20. Rainmaker

Home Page:
    The movie isn't as good as the critics say. But still, it is a good movie.

21. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

Agreed. 5.5/10 for me, and my girlfriend was less than thrilled with it as well. Another all style and no substance film. IMO the lack of a stronger story detracts from the film and I have no interest in seeing it again.

22. Panchyprsss

What crazy animal girl?? :scratcher:

23. Anthony

Motherfucker
    [​IMG]

24. Panchyprsss

:l1: tell me that you are joking! don't you know that the 'Feral Kid' in 'The Road Warrior' is a freaking BOY??? Didn't you paid attention to the MALE NARRATOR at the end when, in a close-up to the face of the Feral Kid he says after talking about the future 'in time I myself became the leader...." ? Actor Emil Minty was 8 years old when HE played the Feral Kid. I guess Feral Kid turned transvestite, had a sex operation and became Furiosa??? :lol:

grown-up Emil Minty posing with his Feral Kid boomerang

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  25. Anthony

Motherfucker
    Dude you are taking shit way tooo seriously.

26. Anthony

Motherfucker
    I honestly didnt remember the kid being a boy. But had I known and you made the comment i made, i would have simply replied like an adult and said "nah that's a boy, dont you remember"? instead of that Junior high act you just pulled.

27. Panchyprsss

Why don't you just admit "I was wrong" instead of replying with an 'adult' rebuke? :nono: Junior High? Yup. I talk, think and behave like it is still 1975!
    Have a nice day!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  28. Anthony

Motherfucker
    What part of "I honestly didnt remember the kid being a boy" didnt you understand? Is that not an admission of being wrong?

29. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
  30. Panchyprsss

Besides being a vague admission, the rest of your 'adult' indignation felt like a counter attack for being caught being 100% wrong.

But don't pay more attention to my juvenile responses and have a peace & love moment, brother.

[​IMG]