Marquez vs Arguello @ 130

Discussion in 'Mythical Matchups' started by Xplosive, Mar 2, 2009.

1. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    defintley

2. jaws1216

jaws1216 "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Home Page:
    I love me some Duran, but theres no need to distort what actually happened.

3. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Undisputed Champion

Home Page:
    agREED. But Double has his own way of seeing things. :lol:

4. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

The rubbish continues to spout from your mouth.

There was NOTHING close about Benitez-Duran. El Radar schooled the shit outta Duran, and won going away!

5. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    if anything the scoring of the Benitez/Duran fight was too CLOSE... it wasnt that close of a fight... Duran was READY that night, he was in tremdous shape and ready to go, he just got beaten cleanly

6. Xplosive

Agreed. At the MOST Duran won 5 rounds, and thats still a clear win for Wilfred.

Personally, I think Benitez won 11-4. A case can even be made that he won 12-3.

Ppl often came up the bullshit excuse that Duran was outta shape, but I dont buy it. Benitez was just at his very best that night. Maybe THE best display of pure boxing Ive ever seen.

7. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

Duran's training regimen was well publicized leading up to that fight

He trained on an island called Coiba, a former penal colony and he was in terrific shape for that fight

Benitez just beat him fair and square

8. Double L

Double L Book Reader

yep. let's just keep reciting that as gospel. when's the last time you watched that fight?

i remember the first time i watched it, having been misinformed by this board that it was a complete schooling, only to find myself watching a closely contested fight that had Benitez having to fight hard every round.

it was one of those fights in which Benitez won most of the rounds but most of the rounds were very close.

that's when i learned that a lot of what is accepted as fact on this board is really just legends created by the press, commentators and group-think.

Another example was my surprise the first time I watched SRL/Duran II. I was expecting to see Duran be completely schooled and then quit in humiliation. Instead, what happened was the beginnings of a relatively close fight, with SRL doing better than he'd done in their first outing, and then Duran quitting. And what's telling is the surprise of the commentators at his quitting because all was not lost at the point he quit - he was having some success. He just had to deal with more movement from SRL than he did in the past and the referee was breaking them everytime they got close and SRL held, which hadn't been the case in Montreal.

The schooling of Duran by SRL and Benitez are legends. Not reality. It's like the legend that Carter was robbed against by Giardello.

Or that Spinks schooled Qawi.

All exaggerations - probably having snowballed over the years into what can only be described as a legend or a myth now by anyone who closely watches these fights again.

A schooling is Quintana/Julio or Spadafora/Sosa. None of the fights listed above were schoolings.

And by the way, another myth that is currently snowballing and that will become a complete exaggeration in the coming decades is that PBF schooled Castillo in their rematch.

9. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Doesn't matter how many rounds Benitez won. He didn't win them easily and he had to fight hard to win. And it's not as if Duran didn't put some hurt on him. And there were plenty of close rounds.

10. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

It wasnt a close fight

competetive, yes, but not close... benitez was a clear winner that night... no one on Earth could make ana rgument that Duran won or even drew in that fight... he was the clear loser

Close means that both guys won a lot of rounds, or could have, close means there could be a case made that the lsoer was really the winner

Benitez/Duran wasnt close like that

it was Competetive... BIG difference

as for Leonard/Duran II, I havent heard any reaosnable people ever say anything other than that it was still a winnable fight and Duran quit... that is why his quitting is still so deeply divisive to this day... some forgive him, some have not and it is because it wasnt a lost cause and he just gave up

Spinks beat Qawi clearly, that wasnt even all that competetive

No one other than the makers of the film "Hurricane" EVER reported that Giardello/Carter was anything other than Giardello schooling the hell out of Carter... there is no legend, boxing fans know that Carter never laid a glove on Giardello for 15 rounds and was totally outclassed... only people who have never watched boxing and have seen the Hurricane think otherwise (the scene isnt in the movie anymore after the late Giardello's successful lawsuit)

no one says Mayweather schooled Castillo in the rematch, but he clearly beat him... it was competetive for a stretch of time but it wasnt all that close of a fight

11. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    How did you score that fight? How many rounds did you give Duran?

12. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    yes, yes, yes, and more yes.

The only controversy about the Giardello-Carter fight is how it was represented in The Hurricane. C'mon Double, 'fess up...you only wrote what you did about this fight because of the movie. :lol:

Spinks beat Qawi clearly. It was kinda like a more competitive Lewis-Tua. Qawi wasn't his usual "buzzsaw" self after tasting Spinks' power. At no point did it look like Qawi was going to win. It wasn't a close fight at all.

Mayweather-Castillo II wasn't a "schooling" on the level of Camacho-Ramirez, but it was an undisputable win for Mayweather. Folks can split hairs over the margin by which Mayweather won, but there's no disputing that Mayweather deserved the decision.

Yep. most responsible folks say that Leonard -Duran II was fairly close and not a white wash for Leonard. I personally think Leonard was on his way to a win and Duran was going to really need to do something to change the flow of the fight to win. I've always thought that they could have fought 10 more times after the first fight and Leonard would have won them all knowing that he needed to avoid doing what he did in the first fight. Having said all that, Duran was still in the fight, but he needed to make up some ground at the time that he quit.

13. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

1000% correct on all counts

14. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    benitez didn't school duran and spinks didn't school qawi.......but spadafora schooled sosa?
    :atu:
    I mustve missed where duran KOd benitez and mr braxton KOd spinks.

15. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

are you doubting Trouble Mel? :warning:

16. Double L

Double L Book Reader

that's my point. it's not about rounds. a fighter could win all 12 rounds and the fight could still have been close.

i guess i just object to the term, "schooling," or "dominating" when it comes to a lot of these fights. people tossing around terms like that give the wrong impression of fights like Benitez/Duran. Benitez won the fight. And you couldn't make a case for Duran winning it. But it was hardly a "schooling" or a "domination."

i just feel compelled to argue the point when people casually and irresponsibly characterize fights such as Benitez/Duran as having been completely one-sided when it wasn't the case at all.

17. Double L

Double L Book Reader

dude - i have Benitez/Cervantes on DVD and have watched it many times. I don't have a library of Cervantes fights, but it's an absolute lie that I've never seen him fight.

Now "that" was a "schooling." Benitez/Cervantes. That was the best performance of Benitez's career. By far.

18. Double L

Double L Book Reader

Sosa knocked Spadafora down, but didn't win a single round afterwards. That was a schooling. He could barely land a punch after that.

Sosa did not KO Spadafora. WTF are you talking about?

19. Victory

Victory Leap-Amateur

Home Page:
    I initially thought of Corrales when I first read the thread title.

He's not as good as Arguello of course, but being tall, powerful, slow-of-foot, he's similar to him at least physically.

I see JMM beating Chico, but he'd have to fight a perfect fight to do it (much the same way Mayweather did). Actually, he'd have to fight an even more perfect fight than Floyd did for the reason that he's a smaller man, is less agile, not as strong and is slower than PBF is.

Arguello is different because I don't see JM Marquez outboxing him without suffering attrition-type punishment over the distance. Whereas Juan could outbox Corrales without getting hit with that one big shot that could dramatically turn a fight around, Arguello could get outboxed and still inflict hurt on Marquez, enough to probably stop him late. The guy was that heavy-handed---a lot like Chavez, and, even though he lacked speed, had the patience and the technical skill to land his best shots.

I wouldn't count JM Marquez out because he's just that good.

But still, it'd be a difficult fight, another supreme test of his skill.

20. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    Again. Not a lie. You said it. I remember you saying it.

21. broadwayjoe

Home Page:
    Ummm...No. If a fighter loses 12 out of 12 rounds, then it was not a close fight.

22. Double L

Double L Book Reader

ok. if that's what you remember, it must have happened. okay.

23. Double L

Double L Book Reader

um, if that's how you feel than you're stupid.

24. BoxFan

BoxFan WBC Champion

I ust don't see how someone could look at all 3 scorecards saying 120-108 and think "Damn now that was a close fight, it could have gone either way"

25. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!

exactly

26. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I think Arguello beats Marquez. Marquez was an excellent fighter but Arguello was just better.

Arguello was an accurate puncher who was terrific at exploiting openings. Big power in both hands, could do damage with very short punches (left hook on Olivares), terrific bodypunching (particularly the right uppercut).

Arguello had rather slow feet, but I don't think Marquez could take advantage of that enough to win. Marquez's terrific countering and combo punching would make it competitive, but I think he'd just end up taking too many hard shots in the exchanges.

Marquez never got stopped in his career, but I think he would in the latter rounds against Arguello.

27. Neil

Neil ABJECT COWARD

The Cal Ripken of Alcoholism
    arguello NEVER defeated an opponent as great as juan marquez!

28. Xplosive

I'm sorry, but JMM was just too hittable.

Arguello would have whupped his ass.

29. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Marquez would write about his interesting career and the terrible asswhuppin he absorbed in this matchup in his autobiography "A Million to Juan: My Life" published a month after his late rounds KO defeat at the hands of Arguello

Xplosive likes this.
  30. Xplosive

I feel like Marquez was a very good fighter who had a great fighter's number.

Whereas Arguello was a great fighter.

Arguello had a more impressive prime, a deeper resume of wins, and was flat out just better than Marquez.

Fortunato and cdogg187 like this.