Menace II Society vs Boyz N The Hood

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Xplosive, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

gimme one O'dogg scene...just ONE...that matches this one.

2. Destruction and Mayhem

whether or not Tate played a different character than he was used to is irrelevant when judging who had the better performance. You and REED know as well as I do that Bishop was a better character than Odogg. Bishop was more believable, more frightening, deeper etc.

3. Destruction and Mayhem

Typical Odogg scene (Doesn't compare to Tupac's mastery)

4. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

We're Talking about ACTING, Brother Sly...

'Pac WASNT Really Acting at All, Whereas Tate Clearly Was...Also, O-Dogg had More DEPTH in REED's Opinion...

"Bishop" Wasn't a Thug UNTIL he Had a Gun in his Hand. Even Though Menace Never Delved Into "O-Dogg's" Roots, There was a Sense of CALM, a Eery Level of COMFORT in his Crimes...Which Alludes to Just How SHITTY his Upbringing Must Have Been...

Not Only Off'ing the Korean Grocer, but Off'img his Wife, Robbing the Register AND Thinking to Check the Grocer's Sock for Extra Money...

Telling Rashid "Fuck Him, that Nigga's Dead", when Cain's Cousin Got his Brains Blown Out and Rashid Wanted to Stay w/his Trembling Body.

Hitting a Joint and Matter of Factly Saying, "I Don't Give a Fuck, I'll Smoke Anybody", When Cain Expressed Concern for Murdering Women or Children.

Shooting the Crack Head for Offering to Suck his Dick, Then Offering the Dead Crack Heads Cheeseburgers to his Friends.

O-Dogg was RUTHLESS..."America's Nightmare", as Cain Called Him During Narration...

O-Dogg > Bishop

And the Fact a Dude Who COULDNT Be Fuuuuuuuurther Removed from Being THAT Guy Pulled it Off, is a CREDIT to Larenz Tate's Acting Ability...

REED Loooooooves 'Pac, But Bishop was ONLY Intimidating w/a Gun in his Hand. O-Dogg was a Motherfucker You Wanted to AVOID Interacting w/at ALL Costs...

REED

5. Destruction and Mayhem

I respectfully disagree Brother REED. ODogg was a run of the mill film thug, for me. Bishop however was a deep complex character.

6. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

And Before Sight is Lost of REED's Point, he Said Larenz Tate Playd O-Dogg BETTER than 'Pac Would've...

The Role was 'Pac's Initially, but he Beat Up One of the Directors and was Replaced...

'Pac's Version of O-Dogg Would've Been Bishop All Over Again, just as his Character in Above the Rim was, as X Pointed Out...Just as 'Pac was in Suge Knight's Presence...

Same Fucking Dude...

REED

7. Destruction and Mayhem

Pac showed versatility in that film with Janet Jackson.

8. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

Look, REED Loooooooves 'Pac as Much as Anybody Else...Dude was Born EXACTLY 10 Days Before REED and REED's Felt a Connection w/Him, as Such...

But if You Divorce Yourself from WHO Played What Role, You'll Acknowledge O-Dogg was a Harsher, Grittier Character than Bishop.

Instead of the Pseudo Psychological BS Bishop Played with Omar Epps' Character, O-Dogg Would've Calmly Shot Up the Entire School, Club or Wherever he Eventually Tracked Epps Down At.

REED

9. Destruction and Mayhem

Perhaps...but it's that fact that made o dogg a more simple character. Bishop was complex. Far better character than O Dogg and to be honest with you it's not even close. It's like comparing Joe Pesci's character in Good fella's with Michael Corleoni. Pesci was more volatile...but Corleoni was far deeper.

10. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

O-Dogg definitely tapped into mainstream America's worst fear at that time moreso than Bishop did.

In the early 90s, South Central LA was THE most feared part of the nation, and O-Dogg personified it.

Pac did strike fear into society, but with his music, not his acting.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  11. Xplosive

Watch Above The Rim. He essentially plays Bishop in a basketball movie.

12. Destruction and Mayhem

Dude, be honest with me here.

You really think O-Dogg was a better performance than Bishop? Objectively?

13. Xplosive

Yes. Larenz Tate is the chief reason for Menace being considered the GOAT hood crime drama.

14. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    Yeah, that was a decent movie and good performance from Tupac, who I always thought was a crazy talented dude.

I'd have to watch them both again to decide whether Larenz to Tupacs performance was better or more effective. As of now I'd have to lean towards Tupac with Sly. His character was just seemed like it had more dimensions and subtlety then O-Dog.

15. Xplosive

Poetic Justice is the movie yall are referring to. I wouldn't be able to get through Poetic Justice if not for the fact that it came at the peak of Janet Jackson's sex appeal. Other than that, it's a shit movie.

Love Jones shits on Poetic Justice.

16. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

I liked it. I thought Singleton had a nice little run of movies before he fizzled out after "Rosewood". I remember he was supposed to be the next Spike Lee, but he didn't seem interested in that label.

17. Xplosive

I think Shaft is by far Singleton's best movie. Between the quality performances of Samuel LJ, Bale, and Jeffrey Wright, Shaft was a damn good movie.

18. Destruction and Mayhem

Even in his brief stint at movie making Singleton proved to be superior to that Ratfaced assassin.

19. Xplosive

Don't let your hatred make you say stupid shit.

If we take the what's considered the seminal film of both.... Do The Right Thing is better than Boyz N The Hood by 60 light years.

20. Destruction and Mayhem

Disagree. Boyz in the Hood was far better in my opinion.

21. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast
    I really like "Rosewood". Uncomfortable movie, but really effective. I think it kind of got written off for being too politically incorrect. Probably hurt Singleton's career.

From then on out he got contracted out to do other stuff like Shaft and a Fast and Furious movie because he was obviously a talented filmmaker, but never got to do his own material again, outside of the super low budget "Baby Boy".

22. Xplosive

Higher Learning is a quality movie. Almost before its time in depicting the future.... university mass shootings.

23. Nobleart

Nobleart Narwhal King

Poking the Beast

Yup. Another vaguely politically incorrect movie for the time. Spike got away with it because he peppered his political incorrectness (today somebody like Panchy would call it political correctness) with humor. Singleton did not use humor. He hit that shit head on. No uncomfortable laughs to punctuate the situation.

24. Destruction and Mayhem

I don't know why Spike gets so much respect. Do people really like his style of filmmaking? I mean, even forget the fact that he inserts his annoying no acting ability rat face into every one of his films, his patented style of film is annoying as hell.

As I said before...every Spike Film has this annoying jazz music that doesn't necessarily fit the mood of the film, and he has the typical sequence when a man is floating down the street, but you hear his footsteps. he seems to think that's particularly clever. He loves the conversation where the camera circles the couple or group that are speaking. He's just a cunt.

25. Xplosive

HL also explored date rape at a time when they was still kinda taboo, and Lesbianism, which was still VERY taboo in the 90s.

26. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

The OPENING Scene of Menace Shits on ANYTHING Bishop Did in Juice, Bruh....

REED:cool:

27. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

There's NO Comparison, Bruh...

The RANGE of Emotions in this 1 Scene is Extraordinary...

Walks in Excited, Thinking of a Potential Conquest, Gets Slightly Put Off by the Korean Wife Following Them Around the Store, Back to Excited When Cain Asks What Kind of Beer he Wants, Anger @ Being Encouraged to "Hurry Up and Buy", Kindly Asks for Cain's Change, then LOSES It After the Korean Grocer's Comments About His Mother...

But Even In Losing It, There's a Range of Thoughts...Murder, Getting the Videotape, Murders the Wife, Robbery, Anger Because There's Only $6 in the Register, GLEE When he Finds the Money in the Grocer's Pockets and Socks...THEN, Motherfucker Smiles and Says "See, You Ain't Gon' Talk Shit NOW, Are You?", to a DEADfuckingBODY...

And of Course he CAN'T Forget his 40oz. of Beer, Before Leaving the Premises...

There Isn't a Single Scene involving Bishop, that Compares...

28. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

REED has to Correct Himself Here...

Did His Homework and Learned 'Pac was Supposed to Play Sharif (who He Mistakenly Called Rashid, Earlier), the CONSCIOUS, MILITANT Member of the Crew...

REED ASSumed 'Pac was Slated to Play O-Dogg, but that WASN'T the Case...

The Hughes Brothers Probably CUT a Lot of Sharif's Lines, 1nce they Fell Out w/'Pac, but the Flick Itself Worked Out for the BEST...

29. Destruction and Mayhem

With all due respect you're wrong in your assessment. Tupac's character had far more depth...not even remotely close. Just consider the scene in the apartment when they see that friend on TV having just been killed by cops. Look at the way the conversation escalated. O dogg was just a straight up thug. Bishop was a thinker, a disturbed man, a calculator, a resentful man. Many people could have played a crazy thug...not many could have pulled off Bishop

30. Xplosive

"Would you do me a favor my beautiful black sista? Can you go tap that white girl for me?"