Menace II Society vs Boyz N The Hood

Discussion in 'Movies & Televison: Reviews, Discussions & Debate' started by Xplosive, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Just to reiterate....

Acting like a crazy, don't give a fuck, thug like O'Dogg is relatively easy to pull off. There wasn't much depth to that character. It's wasn't as though O'Dogg's character was like anton chigurh or something. O Dogg was just a basic "I don't give a fuck" hoodlum. Tupac's character had layers to it. I can't believe I have to explain this to you gentlemen.

2. Destruction and Mayhem

This is the other scene I was talking about., O'Dogg aint got nothing on this.

3. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Tupac was supposed to play Sharif, the friend in the NOI. He wanted a more thuggish role and wanted a backstory where Sharif joined the NOI after going to prison for shooting someone or something like that.

Pac’s best performance was as a heroin addict in Gridlock’d.

4. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    I think Boyz was a more compelling film in terms of its presentation of the humanity of its characters

5. Destruction and Mayhem

Boyz is far more memorable. And forget Cuba Gooding Jnr's role....that actor is a cunt...but it's Lawrence Fishburn's character that made that film. He was a better character than any in Menace.

6. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I never really tripped off the fact until rewatching it recently that Ricky was ONE DUMB MOTHERFUCKER.

Ferris was a known Blood and shit-starter. Doughboy and Regina King talk about it, and she says Ferris always wants to find an excuse to shoot everyone. He and his friends already threatened Tre with a shotgun. Ferris had tried to start a fight with Ricky, and then unleashed a fully automatic Uzi in the air. Now Ferris and his friends are chasing Tre and Ricky.

I repeat, Ricky is getting chased by a notorious shit-starting gang member who had a fully automatic Uzi the last time he saw him, and tried to start a fight with Ricky. What does Ricky do? Scratches his fucking lotto ticket and doesn’t even look at his surroundings!!

Very sad moment, but geez, what a dummy.

7. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Boyz n the Hood was kind of preachy and after-school special-esque, but it was really good and I think I cared more about the characters more. Plus, Cube was hilarious in it.

Menace is basically a black Scorsese movie, and since I’m a huge Scorsese fan, but at the same time I cared about the characters less and it had less of an emotional impact on me. I don’t know, I’m on the fence until I watch them again.

cdogg187 likes this.
  8. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

It wasn’t so much Ricky was dumb, it was more that his character’s motivations and decisions were inconsistent and or unrealistic.

In an earlier scene they show and even speak about Rick’s fear of going to Compton which let’s you know he isn’t ignorant of the killing and gun violence that permeates his community. So when like you said King and Cube discussed how dangerous Ferris is, to have Ricky so nonchalantly dismiss the danger they’re in while claiming “they just trying to show out” right before insisting he and Tre split up is kind of unrealistic IMO. It was also inconsistent with how moments earlier they hauled ass in between some houses after being confronted with the antagonist’s car in their path.

Erratic likes this.
  9. ILLUMINATI

ILLUMINATI Roberto Duran

True....but Menace is a better movie....but boyz n the hood is easier to watch....N Nia Long > Jada

of course CITY OF GOD shits on both of them....

10. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

...from a great height...

11. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    City of God is just a masterpiece.

12. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    Ever read about what happened to the actor who shot Ricky, and the actor who played Dookie (pacifier guy)?

Lloyd Avery (the blood who shot Ricky) was a Blood in real life and went to prison for murder. He got killed by his cellmate who was a devil worshipper.

Dedrick Gobert was a Crip in real life and got killed by a Filipino gang member.

FindACase™ | The People v. Sonny Enraca

Grantland had an in-depth article about Tyrin Turner.

The Menace That Missed

I used to always watch this growing up:

[​IMG]

cdogg187 likes this.
  13. Erratic

Professional Bum
    Home Page: