MMA Rules

Discussion in 'General MMA Discussion' started by lb 4 lb, Feb 23, 2020.

1. lb 4 lb

lb 4 lb Fightbeat Gold Member

A couple I could do without:
    Definitely foot stomps and I’m not too fond of calf kicks either.
    I don’t think either one brings a particular skill level to a fight and if anything it can hamper the entertainment level of a fight by incapacitating a fighter unnecessarily. Anyone can throw a calf kick and although they’re effective they’re also boring.

Another thing I don’t get is why don’t referees yell stop in MMA matches the way they do in boxing? I get the fighter won’t always stop but there are times a guy hurts his opponent and knows it but he has to ensure victory so he goes down to hammer fist the guy. I’m sure if the ref yells stop before that first hammer fist lands that at least some guys will actually stop. Instead of trying that the ref ends up running over and throwing the fighter out of the way to save the downed opponent.

I’ve seen too many instances where the fighter actually gets thrown down or bowled over and nearly injured in their own right and it’s just a matter of time before it happens. It boggles the mind.

2. Rich ´Money´ Mustard

Rich ´Money´ Mustard DIE!

I've never seen a high level Muay-Thai boxer wilt from eating calf kicks.
    In fact, they are rarely used in Muay-Thai - conditioning does wonders.
    It seems harder to check, impossible to catch and brace for and even if checked, you kick the lower and weakest part of the opponent's shin - in MMA though, barely anybody checks lowkicks so hence why they've been so successful.

3. REEDsART

REEDsART MATCHMAKER

agREED on Foot Stomps...Seems Like a DESPERATION Tactic, Something a Fighter that KNOWS He's Inferior Would Rely On...

Reminds REED of the TUF Season Where Big Nog and Frank Mir Coached...A TUF Contestant Did a Foot Stomp, Nog and Mir Both Playfully Cringed, Smiled, Said "I HATE That" and Made a Friendly Pact NOT to Foot Stomp When They Eventually Fought...

Honestly, it's Best Served as a STRIPPER Defense Tactic...Dude's Trying to Rough Her Up, Foot Stomp Him w/a Stiletto Heel and Keep it Moving...

REED:Hammer

Jesus of montreal likes this.
  4. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I wouldn't say calf kick are ''succesfull'' in MMA. They seems to be less and less frequently used and I can't rebember the last time they had a significant impact on the result of a fight

5. lb 4 lb

Actually I’ve seen your boy John Jones employ the foot stomp on a few occasions, although I don’t think he’s done it since the comeback.

A couple months ago I saw them twice cause 2 guys to lose a fight when their foot basically got shut down from calf kicks. In the past I’ve seen a guy like Barbosa stop people by kicking their leg to the point where he gets a TKO because the other guy can no longer stand on it.

6. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I obviously meant in a high level fight.

7. lb 4 lb

Although this isn’t a rule, another thing I hate is during matches the commentators will cut to one of the corners to hear what they’re saying to their fighter. Then you get to hear these guys yelling and throwing out a bunch of random techniques for their fighter to do. I find it so annoying that I’ll either fffwd or mute it. I think the commentators only do it because they’ve run out of stuff to talk about or they need a break.

8. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    I thought you meant oblique kicks, which is a borderline dirty kick used primarily by borderline dirty fighters like Jon Jones. It is not officially dirty, but it's a cheap move that can incapacitate the fighter "unnecessarily". The traditional leg kicks used by Barboza are great, and if you can make your opponent wilt by kicking his leg out, that's pretty badass.

9. ArturoGatti

ArturoGatti WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Agreed, this is super annoying and distracting. It does not enrich the viewing experience at all.

lb 4 lb likes this.
  10. timmothysmith01

timmothysmith01 Leap-Amateur

In April 2000, the California State Athletic Commission voted unanimously in favor of regulations that later became the foundation for the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. However, when the legislation was sent to California's capital for review, it was determined that the sport fell outside the jurisdiction of the CSAC, rendering the vote superfluous.

In September 2000, the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board began to allow MMA promoters to conduct events in New Jersey. The intent was to allow the NJSACB to observe actual events and gather information to establish a comprehensive set of rules to effectively regulate the sport.

On April 3, 2001, the NJSACB held a meeting to discuss the regulation of MMA events. This meeting attempted to unify the myriad of rules and regulations which have been utilized by the different MMA organizations. At this meeting, the proposed uniform rules were agreed upon by the NJSACB, several other regulatory bodies, numerous promoters of MMA events, and other interested parties in attendance. At the conclusion of the meeting, all parties in attendance were able to agree upon a uniform set of rules to govern the sport of MMA.

The rules adopted by the NJSACB have become the de facto standard set of rules for professional MMA across North America. All state, provincial, & municipal athletic commissions that regulate MMA have assimilated these rules into their existing unarmed combat competition rules and statutes. For a promotion to hold MMA events in a sanctioned venue, the promotion must abide by the commission's body of rules.

On July 30, 2009, a motion was made at the annual meeting of the Association of Boxing Commissions to adopt these rules as the "Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts". The motion passed unanimously.