One myth about Canelo that needs to die asap...

Discussion in 'General Boxing Discussion' started by Xplosive, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Erratic

Erratic "Twinkle Toes" McJack

Professional Bum
    Home Page:
    I rate him higher than I originally did. I thought relatively little of him a few years ago.

When people talked about him in the years leading up to the Mayweather fight, I remember thinking "THIS is the guy that people talk about being boxing's future??" and laughing at the notion that he would be a serious challenge to Mayweather, even with the size advantage.

He has improved since then, he's a good fighter with solid skills. However, he has glaring weaknesses in stamina, foot speed, and modest power which I figure would hurt him in fights. I think those weaknesses are mainly the issues that cost him the GGG fight, although the judges didn't think so.

2. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    Only a somebody can have power? Sounds like Elitist Talk to me. Check Torres' record and KO percentage before the Cotto fight.

3. cdogg187

cdogg187 GLADYS

SUCK MY BALLS!!
    Check out his opposition

4. Anthony

Anthony Admin Staff Member

Motherfucker
    I saw it. I also saw him put Cotto, who is great opposition on queer street. So clearly he had vicious power. Cotto just outlasted him. And he was never the same after facing cotto.

5. Xplosive

Xplosive X-MOD Bad Motherfucker

I think more of us "boxing snobs" would respect the guy if he wasn't so fucking overrated, and he didn't get so many gifts.

Trout got screwed. Lara got screwed. Golov got screwed. Hell, they TRIED to screw your boy!

Take away the corrupt judging, and Canelo has 3 losses. Lara outboxed him and deserved to win, and Golov outboxed him more clearly than Lara did. Maybe even 4 losses, if Trout wasn't fucked over by opening scoring and didn't have to alter his game plan.

He's not a bad fighter. He has offensive skill, and yes, he has a tough chin. But beyond that, my God he's overrated and my God he's protected by judging!

mexican wedding shirt likes this.
  6. Destruction and Mayhem

Destruction and Mayhem PHASE ----3

Yeah but X and MWS...be men enough to admit that you underrated him far worse than anyone overrated him. I mean y'all acted as though it would be a mismatch and that he'd be dominated butchered and stopped. I was faaaaaaaar closer in my estimation of how the fight would go than you haters were

7. Xplosive

No, you really weren't, because you predicted that Canelo would outbox him. The opposite occured. The one thing us haters perhaps underrated was his chin, but you severely OVERRATED his skills and refuse to admit as much.

My prediction wasn't that far off. I said from the JUMP that if Golov didn't stop him, he'd get fucked outta a deserved win. And that's exactly what happened.

8. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Torres had a good knockout record and his fight with Cotto obviously proves there was legit power there, but he was limited as hell. And as Cdogg pointed out, had fought nobody prior.

9. puerto rock

puerto rock WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

I'm still looking for REASONS to give Canelo more than a few rounds. He really fought to survive for the most part. And when he did land, I didn't see a serious effect on Golovkin. But Triple G's power clearly bothered Canelo. If he'd only have thrown more hooks and uppercuts inside and gone to the body, he'd have done more damage.

10. mexican wedding shirt

mexican wedding shirt The Greatest of Are Times

Well, yeah me and X obviously underrated him a bit, he is tougher with better defense than we credited him for, given he lasted the distance.

But overall he's still overrated. I mean, he was almost even money by fight night, most pro fighters were picking him, and after the fight most press scored it 8-4 Golovkin, and every pro fighter thinks Golovkin won.

11. Panchyprsss

Panchyprsss Clogg's LORD PROTECTOR

Corley hurt him on the temple. No chin involved in that near-disaster bout.
    [​IMG]
    Torres did landed on the point of his chin.

[​IMG]

12. Jesus of montreal

Jesus of montreal WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Lol, it's obvious torres had huge power. Showed it against Holt also

13. Panchyprsss

Torres became a champion after Cotto vacated the title. He retired with a record of 33-02 (29 KO). He was indeed a vicious puncher.

14. Jesus of montreal

Lara never got screwed, was close as hell and there's an argument that he lost the fight by being so passive. And I can't say Trot got screwed either. It was a pretty clear win for Canelo, and I was rooting for Trout

15. Panchyprsss

He stopped Holt in their first bout, didn't he?

[​IMG]

16. Jesus of montreal

stoppage was terrible, but he dropped him hard with one punch

17. Ugotabe Kidding

Ugotabe Kidding WBC Silver Diamond Emeritus Champ

Home Page:
    Agreed with both

18. mexican wedding shirt

Even as a Canelo hater, I'd say Canelo Vs Trout and Lara could have gone either way. He was "lucky" to get the decision in both, but I couldn't call either one a robbery.

Unsurprisingly though, in two close fights, one judge had Canelo winning 9 rounds against Lara, and one had him winning 10 rounds against Trout.

The most overprotected fighter in boxing by far, bought judges every time.

Erratic likes this.
  19. Xplosive

I had Lara winning a clear 7-5 over Canelo. I thought at BEST Ginger got a draw. I'd really struggle to find 7 rounds that Canelo won in that fight.

I had Canelo beating Trout 7-5, but make no mistake, Trout WAS screwed. By that goddamn open scoring.

20. Jesus of montreal

but then, no offense , but you're pretty much biaised when it comes to Canelo

21. mexican wedding shirt

I feel exactly the same way. I originally thought he was just a hype job that would be badly exposed. It's clear that he is now an elite fighter, and imo does look quite a bit better than he did 4 years ago.

Still, he is still somewhat overrated for exactly the reason I stated. Many people - including most pro fighters - thought he'd beat Golovkin, and he didn't. Those same people think Golovkin won clearly, so on that basis alone, he's obviously not as good as people thought.

22. Slice N Dice

Slice N Dice Big stiff idiot

I thought Lara clearly won against Canelo.

Saying that, Alvarez is much better than I gave him credit for. I always rated his combination punching, but his defence is much better than I thought. I didn't really know where to rate his chin as he hadn't fought any massive hitters and was wobbled a bit by Cotton's bro, but I think it's pretty clear now he can take a shot. The chin is solid. The power is good, he hits hard but he's a not an elite puncher. The stamina is still shite, as I always figured. I agree with those who say if he had the stamina to throw for 3 minutes a round he would justify the hype, as his offensive talent is legit.